All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Perry had a lot of good, not near hart caliber years.

And yet Iginla got passed round a lot in his mid 30s while still being a physical 20-30g scorer.

You're missing the big picture. I'm talking about wanting someone nasty who can pot 20-30 goals.

Svech isn't really nasty and he hasn't been nearly as physical or agitating as these guys listed....and definitely not this year. Maybe in a couple years, but I'm doubtful on that. Even if he is who says you can have too many power forwards for a deep playoff run?

Ferland is an example you're missing. I'd love a healthy Ferland type and anyone better if I could get them for a deep playoff run.

Those types are rare and hard to come by, obviously...but someone who fits that bill at the low end to high end would be my dream acquisition this tdl.

I know what your point is. Your point is not wrong. So maybe use the Erik Cole comparable. There are plenty of good examples of power forwards without constantly yearning for a guy who had a good half-season and then completely disappeared, not only from the Canes but from the entire NHL. He scored one goal after he left Carolina -- one. Ferland has 60 goals in his entire NHL career, and that's probably all he'll ever have.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
"Mature" Depth....he's 30 & has played 136 games in NHL.

Savard is a good pickup for them....
Savard yes, agree. Lashoff isn’t anything they don’t already have and may not even play in the nhl for them.

they have 7 nhl defenseman + Luke schenn and Borgman on the taxi squad, Jan Ruuta on IR, etc. he’s not material to their cup run

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm not sure if Chicago is selling or not but if we're targeting D another guy I'd like to look at is Zadorov.

He's big, mean (yes this is a theme) and surprisingly fast skater. I saw a couple times when we played Chicago I saw Necas and Aho try to get behind him for stretch passes and he has some insane speed in his first few steps for a man that big.

Reactions: Tryamw

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
~50:50 --> Trade Deadline Wrap Up | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

"The prices were really high for a lot of Anaheim's guys. One of the teams that was asking about Josh Manson said to me it was like they were basically saying 'don't ask, but if you, it's going to be so high that you're not going to want to do it anyway.'"

Between Murray's love of the player and the price Tampa paid for a rental Savard, the cost for Manson may have been that 1st and a top prospect (not the loose definition) package that had many shaking their heads at.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
~50:50 --> Trade Deadline Wrap Up | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

"The prices were really high for a lot of Anaheim's guys. One of the teams that was asking about Josh Manson said to me it was like they were basically saying 'don't ask, but if you, it's going to be so high that you're not going to want to do it anyway.'"

Between Murray's love of the player and the price Tampa paid for a rental Savard, the cost for Manson may have been that 1st and a top prospect (not the loose definition) package that had many shaking their heads at.

Good to know. It's their prerogative. With Dougie and the expansion draft coming, our defensive unit could change A LOT from now until next season. I'm kinda hoping we hang onto Slavin/Pesce/Bean, we keep one of Skjei+Gardiner, and we re-sign Jani Häagen-Dazs, and we let Sellgren get the 6th spot. On one hand you could argue that it's downgrading Hamilton to Sellgren, but on the other hand, I've seen the warts from Hamilton enough to know that it isn't a one game thing, it's an all season thing. The elite offense will be missed, but I think we can improve defensively enough if we move on, and the opportunity cost of investing $8M+ longterm will create holes down the line.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well we had a pretty solid defense before Dougie, so that’s one side.

The other side is we took a pretty big step forward when Dougie arrived and started clicking. He has his warts but we should have the guys around him to help nullify that, and he brings a game breaking characteristic we generally lack. We will miss him. We’d survive but I think we take a step back if he leaves, during a time where we are a contender.

Being a contender involves overpaying sometimes to keep the key pieces there.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well we had a pretty solid defense before Dougie, so that’s one side.

The other side is we took a pretty big step forward when Dougie arrived and started clicking. He has his warts but we should have the guys around him to help nullify that, and he brings a game breaking characteristic we generally lack. We will miss him. We’d survive but I think we take a step back if he leaves, during a time where we are a contender.

Being a contender involves overpaying sometimes to keep the key pieces there.

Agreed. "Finding another Hamilton" isn't that easy, even if you can argue Carolina found 2 elite offensive defensemen in that specific deal with Calgary.

I know there's concern over the back end of the contract, but I think you have to take that chance when your window is open. And if Skjei goes to Seattle there's more $$ available to pay Hamilton and Svech and others as needed this off-season.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I really don't want Hamilton back at his presumed next salary, but have to admit that the trade of Fleury makes it much more likely than it was previously.

My reasoning:
1) The expansion draft will likely shed Skjei's salary.
2) This business of handedness. The Fleury trade shows CAR values this highly, and there's not a ton of RHD that are obvious as a #1RHD.
3) With $11M to play with (Skjei's salary + Hamilton's expiring salary) and less overall $ being spent on defensemen, re-signing Dougie is no longer impractical/impossible/inadvisable.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wonder how much say RBA will have in the expansion protection list. Based on usage, you have to think he’d prefer to keep Skjei over Bean, but based on potential and cap management, Bean is the obvious choice.

Of course, this assumes they don’t end up protecting Hamilton like we’re all expecting. I’ve brought this up before, and I’ll do it again, I really don’t think they’ll risk losing both Hamilton and Skjei in one offseason. I’d wager a good bit that if it doesn’t look like they’ll have a chance to retain Hamilton, they’ll think long and hard about protecting Skjei and just letting Francis have Bean.

And regardless of what they do with Skjei or Bean, if they’re losing Hamilton, I’d imagine they’d be right in the thick of bringing in another top 4 capable RD at the Entry Draft, like a Dumba, Manson, Ristolainen or the like.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I know it isn’t best to look at prior times because hindsight makes it worse but man the 18-19 offseason to this trade deadline wasn’t a good time for the think tank.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
And regardless of what they do with Skjei or Bean, if they’re losing Hamilton, I’d imagine they’d be right in the thick of bringing in another top 4 capable RD at the Entry Draft, like a Dumba, Manson, Ristolainen or the like.

My biggest worry is that they may think they just did. Big Hank was playing some top pairing minutes at points this season for the Ducks and has some good defensive numbers. I wouldn’t be shocked if the group thinks he could be a #4 with Peace sliding to the first pair.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My biggest worry is that they may think they just did. Big Hank was playing some top pairing minutes at points this season for the Ducks and has some good defensive numbers. I wouldn’t be shocked if the group thinks he could be a #4 with Peace sliding to the first pair.

I suppose stranger things have happened and Hakanpaa did play up in the Ducks’ lineup. However, I’m not too worried about the Canes’ front office viewing him as a top 4 guy. I mean, if they go after Laine again, who friggin knows...heh. In that case, they’d have to go real cheap on the D.

I still think Hamilton is as good as gone, and I also think now the choice would be a hard one between who to protect between Skjei and Bean, with Bean being the choice eventually. They were interested in Dumba last year and showed interest in Ristolainen this year so those guys at $6M or under as fill-ins for Hamilton make sense to to me. All depends on cost though. I hope they figure out a way to just hold onto Hamilton so they don’t have to worry about what happens to Skjei/Bean or have to spend assets to acquire another RD to replace Hamilton.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder how much say RBA will have in the expansion protection list. Based on usage, you have to think he’d prefer to keep Skjei over Bean, but based on potential and cap management, Bean is the obvious choice.

Of course, this assumes they don’t end up protecting Hamilton like we’re all expecting. I’ve brought this up before, and I’ll do it again, I really don’t think they’ll risk losing both Hamilton and Skjei in one offseason. I’d wager a good bit that if it doesn’t look like they’ll have a chance to retain Hamilton, they’ll think long and hard about protecting Skjei and just letting Francis have Bean.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they sign Dougie and protect him just to be safe, then maybe make a deal to protect Bean.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I know it isn’t best to look at prior times because hindsight makes it worse but man the 18-19 offseason to this trade deadline wasn’t a good time for the think tank.

Only if you build them up to be smarter than everyone else. There's definitely been some fart huffing, as I believe someone put it the other day, on this board. GMs/management groups are going to make some moves that work out, some that don't, and a lot of whatever in between. Their batting average has been fine.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Only if you build them up to be smarter than everyone else. There's definitely been some fart huffing, as I believe someone put it the other day, on this board. GMs/management groups are going to make some moves that work out, some that don't, and a lot of whatever in between. Their batting average has been fine.

That made me laugh pretty hard.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fart is Swedish and means speed.

But please hop off the mental train evoked by that, because you wouldn't like the...

artworks-000557047701-r5wdkn-t500x500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->