Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The way the press is reacting to Nole's tantrum at the end of his defeat to Careeno Busta, you'd think he killed a baby seal with a penknife. Nole is no bad guy. He is just someone who makes impulsive decisions and doesn't think things through in some key situations. A flawed human being, like the rest of us. That being said, I wish he wouldn't shoot himself in the foot so much.
I didn't see the match but I read that the 2 racquet incidents happened when the match was still on, not after. The smash happened at a change over. I agree with about how he shoots himself in the foot over and over again. We'll see how he deals with the pressure in New York. Are they having full crowds?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Doing an excellent Daniil Medvedev imitatiion, Zverev wins the gold medal easily over Khachanov 3 and 1. Sascha had everything in his arsenal going today. In addition to fine serving and returning, he didn't allow himself to get stuck in defensive mode as he often does and transitioned to offense brilliantly, extending some points beyond Karen's ability to stay in them. Dominant win. New York, here he comes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So... ummm... The National Bank Open (W) is getting decimated with withdrawls. I'll be there for the 4 Singles QF.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So... ummm... The National Bank Open (W) is getting decimated with withdrawls. I'll be there for the 4 Singles QF.
Usually the most interesting day. Have fun. Prices are so high this year, I think I will just watch it on the ATP tennis channel.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Usually the most interesting day. Have fun. Prices are so high this year, I think I will just watch it on the ATP tennis channel.

Well, it's not like we had many occasions to spend money for discretionary expenses in the last 18 months, hahahah!

Besides, it always seems to me (and to the SO) that the best tennis tickets aren't necessarily the most expensive ones.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another wanker-like performance from Felix. He loses to Brooksby 3 and 4, neat and tidy as could be. The #130th ranked Brooksby is an interesting new addition, arriving on the scene at Newport this year where he got to the final. He is a 20 year old with a slumdog pedigree (one undistinguished year at Baylor) who has been hot as hell this year with his first serve and ground strokes causing people fits. His biggest claim to fame is that, I am sure much to his surprise, he sent Tomas Berdych into retirement in 2019 in his first ATP match. Until players develop a book on this kid, though, he might notch a few more wins.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Another wanker-like performance from Felix. He loses to Brooksby 3 and 4, neat and tidy as could be. The #130th ranked Brooksby is an interesting new addition, arriving on the scene at Newport this year where he got to the final. He is a 20 year old with a slumdog pedigree (one undistinguished year at Baylor) who has been hot as hell this year with his first serve and ground strokes causing people fits. His biggest claim to fame is that, I am sure much to his surprise, he sent Tomas Berdych into retirement in 2019 in his first ATP match. Until players develop a book on this kid, though, he might notch a few more wins.

My biggest shock in this tourney so far is Jack Sock. Should have beaten Nadal yesterday. Looking good actually. Lost some weight and moving well. Forehand looks as deadly as ever.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Milos withdrew from whatever the hell the Canadian Open is now called.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Jelena Ostapenko, decidedly unwell and having had what's apparently a pressure check, loses 6-1 6-3 in R1, so that's one player I would've cheered against that's gone.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Leylah Annie Fernandez lost a match she should really, really have won. Dart was playing much better tennis, and especially better defensive tennis, than anyone could legitimately expect, but she was quite a bit diminished by the mid 2nd set and LAF couldn't capitalize. Biggest issue was probably the lack of bite, which is a problem when you're an offensive player.

Reactions: Tuggy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Leylah Annie Fernandez lost a match she should really, really have won. Dart was playing much better tennis, and especially better defensive tennis, than anyone could legitimately expect, but she was quite a bit diminished by the mid 2nd set and LAF couldn't capitalize. Biggest issue was probably the lack of bite, which is a problem when you're an offensive player.
Too many loose points and some untimely double faults. Dart really tightened up in the tiebreak after taking a big lead ..Leylah will not be pleased with this at all.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Opelka beats Nick in three sets in Toronto. Reilly looked awful in the first set but gradually improved to the point that in the end he was playing really good tennis, especially on his backhand side. Krygios just doesn't play enough tennis any longer to be match tough and it showed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic drops out of Cincy citing a continued need for recovery after the Olympics. No doubt. So he will go into the US Open without the usual benefit of a warm-up tournament or two. Not a good sign.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
The way the press is reacting to Nole's tantrum at the end of his defeat to Careeno Busta, you'd think he killed a baby seal with a penknife. Nole is no bad guy. He is just someone who makes impulsive decisions and doesn't think things through in some key situations. A flawed human being, like the rest of us. That being said, I wish he wouldn't shoot himself in the foot so much.

Eh, I don't know. The guy comes across as a complete pratt. It's one thing to make excuses for a young guy who's up and coming, and another entirely for the veteran who has 20 slams to his name and a notorious reputation for screaming at ballkids.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Had originally considered going to a session or two in Toronto this week, but with one of the weakest fields in recent memory (partly due to Covid, but only 4 of the top 10 in the world are competing and no grand slam winners are left in the field as of this evening), no more seating in the 300 levels due to capacity constraints, and only the centre court matches open to fans (understandably) I think I'll take a pass this year.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After a 20 minute tie break, which both players took turns choking away, Humbert evens his match with Tsitispas. Patchy tennis but exciting to watch. Third set a toss up....later: Stefanos ran away with it, 6-1.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fine, back to back wins for Opelka, Kyrgios last night, Dimitrov toninght. Hope they give the big guy the day off tomorrow.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Andreescu and Dart had a really good match with Bianca squeaking it out in the third.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2-2 in the first set and FAA already has eight unforced errors off his forehand, not one a tough shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad