Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
More troubles for Felix and another loss. It's been a rough go off the grass.

Marino, on the other hand, pulls out a nice win against a tough opponent. Marino dropped the first set 6-1 but bounced back nicely.

Reactions: MXD

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
More troubles for Felix and another loss. It's been a rough go off the grass.

Marino, on the other hand, pulls out a nice win against a tough opponent. Marino dropped the first set 6-1 but bounced back nicely.
So happy to hear this. I am really finding my interest in tennis waning but I'm excited to see what she, Binca, Leyla and Denis do. Felix seems to have stagnated.

Rafa and Milos are both out of Cincy.

Reactions: MXD and Tuggy

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
giphy1.gif

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix loses to a player who is the very embodiment of generic and Sinner loses to a player who never beats anybody (Lajovic and Duckworth, respectively).

Reactions: Tuggy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...And Sabalenka is trailing in the 3rd vs Sloane Stephens.

EDIT : This didn't age exactly great.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's a terrific win for Marino. Badosa has been very hot lately.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zero winners, 11 unforced errors for Shapo in 6-1 first set loss to Tiafoe. Zero.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis' match is painful to watch...which is why I went out for food in the first set

And it's mercifully over

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Felix loses to a player who is the very embodiment of generic and Sinner loses to a player who never beats anybody (Lajovic and Duckworth, respectively).

At least Sinner had a good reason as he was coming off a title at the ATP 500 in Washington last week.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dangerously passive play aside or maybe just demonstrating a total reliance on defense, take your pick, Monfils solves Milllman's gnarly, unorthdox game in three close sets.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Would’ve been cool to see Schwartzmann play Opelka lol. Shitty tournament all round for Canadians. Hoping for a Med - Tsistipas final for some potential entertainment

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Azarenka/Sabalenka was Much more fun than the score implies. Pliskova/Sorribes Tormo was just not great tennis. It got better in the second set but that also meant SST got bageled.

We'll cheer hard for Coco and Jabeur tonight.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev was lucky to defeat Hurkacz who pounded on Daniil's forehand return of serve all day and played far more aggressively than he did in his narrow win against Basilashvili in the quarters. After losing the first set, Medvedev took the last two 7-6 and 7-6. Medvedev is far removed from the form that he demonstrated at the 2019 US Open. He is something of a question mark at the moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pliskova, who has been rock solid all week, wins her semi in straight sets against Sabalenka, who has been up and down all week. Pliskova better pray Pegula loses her semi as Jessica is kryptonite for Karolina who is 0-4 against her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Opelka has played really well. If he can exploit Stefano's vulnerable backhand, he has a shot at winning this match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1st set: Reilly had a couple of big chances but never found the consistency to take advantage of them and lost the breaker to Tsitsipas. Opelka doesn't hit his serve as hard as Karlovic, but the bounce will kill you.

2nd set: Not surprisingly goes to another breaker, but Tsitsipas, seemingly in solid position to win the match, makes a hash of a couple of key points in the breaker and we are going to a third set.

3rd set: at 3 all, Tsitsipas tightens, throws in a couple of nervous double faults, and is broken and Reilly serves it out without the loss of another service point. Great win for Opelka.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas is developing a bad case of nerves in clutch situations. Something to watch out for in the US Open.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After slumping badly in the second set, Giorgi recovers her rhythm at the same time that Pegula goes off the boil, 6-1. Terrific win for the unseeded fairy-tale princess. Carriage might turn into a pumpkin tomorrow, but she has a hell of a run with her feisty power game.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1st set: An incredibly easy set for Medvedev who served it out with four straight aces, 6-2. The big brontosaurus looks tired, as well he might be given all the tennis he has been playing lately.

2nd set: More of the same. Super easy win for Daniil, 2 and 2.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Isner is so heavy on his feet. When his serve isn't working like tonight, he doesn't look like a top 200 player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Opelka just might have the makings of more than a serve bot. He moves fairly well for his size, is good off of both sides, nice touch at the net, and seems to know how to mix things up from time to time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Opelka just might have the makings of more than a serve bot. He moves fairly well for his size, is good off of both sides, nice touch at the net, and seems to know how to mix things up from time to time.
Of all the super-tall players, Opelka has the most creative shot making ability. He has surprised me on several occasions with some of the shots that he has come up with under pressure. If he ever acquires Isner's consistency, who knows how high his ceiling could be?

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a win for unseeded Camila Georgi in Montreal. In her six matches, she defeated players ranked ahead of her each time: Mertens, Podoroska, Kvitova, Gauff, Pegula, and Pliskova--that is an amazing accomplishment given the extremely high quality of her opposition. She played very well--a 5' 6" 190 kmh server with a power game to match (fourth hardest forehand on the women's tour)--though there were suspenseful moments when she wobbled. However, she inevitably came through when she needed to most. Marvelous stuff. One of the big stories of the year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Of all the super-tall players, Opelka has the most creative shot making ability. He has surprised me on several occasions with some of the shots that he has come up with under pressure. If he ever acquires Isner's consistency, who knows how high his ceiling could be?

People rag on Isner but he's been as high as #8 in the world, has been a top 30 staple for for than a decade, has several quality wins, and has one of the best serves of all time. If Opelka can mirror that career it will be a great accomplishment.

Reactions: Hadoop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad