Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Discouraging defeat to the guy at the bottom of the "A" prospects. An opportunity wasted.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
106 ranked qualifier Samsonova surprisingly takes the Berlin title.

She beat some good competition on the way like Azarenka, Bencic, Keys and Kudermetova.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great win for Humbert at Halle over Rublev. Not exactly expected but well deserved.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At Queen's Club Berrettini wins in three sets over Norrie. Matteo first served at the rate of 90% in all three sets. His poor backhand and ineffectual return of serve let Norrie make a match of it, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So I guess Berrettini is the Wimbledon dark horse. "The" rather than "a" as they are in short supply. Who else is there really?

Rublev: too much to ask
Humbert: closest thing to a second dark horse
Isner: too old
Opelka: too inexperienced
Cilic: bad nerves
Shapo or Felix: ha, ha, ha
Sinner: not yet comfortable on grass
Karatsev: grass is for cows to eat

Once you get beyond the top five players, there isn't much else out there that's very threatening. Speaking of which, here's there winning percentage on grass:

Nole: .841
Zverev: .625
Medvedev: .581
Tsitsipas: .533
Thiem: .500

Good year to bet the house on Nole.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev beats Moutet 4 and 2. By the first game of the second set--which he won--Moutet had thrown the towel in, getting more and more frustrated by Daniil's copious bag of tricks. Fun to watch, actually; I do not understand people who think Medvedev's game is dull.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole is only playing doubles in Mallorca. His doubles partner is a curious choice as he could not be more obscure, Carlos Gomez-Herrera, a 14 year veteran who has never risen about 249 in doubles and 268 in singles. Most of his career he has been ranked much lower than that and he has only played one single match on the main ATP tour during all those years. Total career winnings, just over $159,000. How long can Nole expect to last with this guy?

Poor guy double faults on set point, 7-5. If he felt pressure playing with Nole before....but they win in three sets or whatever you call that tie breaker thing at the end.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Up 5-2 in the first set against Mannarino in Mallorca, Thiem retires. Looks like he has a wrist problem serious enough to jeoprodize his appearing at Wimbledon.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
De Minaur ousts Pospisil 4 and 4. Alex is playing some very impressive grass court tennis lately and Vasek, still not match fit, couldn't quite keep up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Really fun first set in Medvedev's 5 and 1 win against Ruud. Some very imaginative tennis from both players. Ruud couldn't put enough pressure on in the second set and faded rather quickly.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca and Roger both withdrew from the Olympics, he said he injured his knee again. I don't think hers is injury related. I bet more will follow

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Murray's legacy is fascinating.

You can make a case for him to be highly underrated simply because he was born at the wrong time.
100%. Health aside there's a very good chance he could be closer to ~7 Slams in another era. Fantastic player that just happened to come up against the 3 best players of all time and even then really pushed them quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
100%. Health aside there's a very good chance he could be closer to ~7 Slams in another era. Fantastic player that just happened to come up against the 3 best players of all time and even then really pushed them quite a bit.
Such a great point, guys. In a mind-boggling 17-year-stretch starting in 2004 and still continuing, the only time a player other than Roger, Rafa and Nole was a year-end #1, was 1917, when it was Murray. Had fate been kinder, he could have almost certainly won at least seven GSs rather than three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad