Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The tournament is taking a pause in play on Thursday in solidarity. Play is scheduled to resume on Friday.

Good on the tennis federations here. It helps that one of the star players took the lead, but still impressive to come together quickly to take an action is hard.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Are there any challenges now that Hawk-Eye Live is used instead of human line judges? I thought I saw a challenge during one match though they might have just been showing the video for the TV viewer.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Are there any challenges now that Hawk-Eye Live is used instead of human line judges? I thought I saw a challenge during one match though they might have just been showing the video for the TV viewer.

Well, the challenge would be against the HawkEye call, and would be determined using.... HawkEye.

So, no.

But they're showing replays.

Reactions: kihei and LarryO

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Well, the challenge would be against the HawkEye call, and would be determined using.... HawkEye.

So, no.

But they're showing replays.
I just thought that this new Hawk-Eye Live system might compromise accuracy compared to the regular Hawk-Eye since it has to process everything faster, and thus could be verified by the regular Hawk-Eye for individual challenges. I guess the player just wanted to see the replay.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Bryan Brothers announced their retirement today. Not a lot of fanfare with everything else that's going on in the world these days, but they're still the GOAT doubles team in my book.

Jensen were more fun.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The Bryan Brothers were really the perfect team. Twins that could read each others minds, righty-lefty combo. What an amazing career!

Reactions: Hadoop

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is kind of sad how little attention the doubles competitions get.
The Bryan Twins were an outstanding double, probably the best ever, but I don't think I will remember them with the same fondness and reverence as I do remember those great doubles back when the Davis Cup was a meaningful and popular competition.
I just loved watching doubles like Leach/Pugh, Becker/Jelen, Casal/Sanchez, Flach/Seguso and Edberg/Nyström playing pivotal matches in some of the greatest Davis Cup battles ever.

The Bryans would have deserved a lot more attention than they got. Whatever they'll do next in their lives I wish them all the best.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Having watched in person the Bryan brothers several time in tournaments, even though their crowds were fairly sparse, it always felt like the crowd really appreciated their play. I certainly did. Always worth the trek to the outer courts to see them.

Reactions: Hadoop

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Raonic beats Tsitsipas to get to the finals.

I might be forgetting something, but, I think this will now go down as his best tournament result since the Wimbledon final in 2016. It takes him back to the top 20 (bumping Felix put of that 20 spot).

He seems to be playing well, but, knocking Djokovic out right now will take quite a bit, and I'm not sure he's there.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
There was a thread a couple of days ago on another forum asking if Djok would tank so he would have more prep time for the US Open. He's down a set and had the trainer out. He pulled out of doubles the other day with a neck injury but continued with singles. His history with medical time outs has my spidey senses tingling.

Edit: Djok wins in 3.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Ridiculously dominant tie-break by Djokovic. I tuned in with RBA on the verge of victory and serving at 6-5 in the third set - he did not win a single point the rest of the match.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil stepson down from his position on the ATP player council.

He was fighting hard for better player compensation and general stronger voice for players, and seemed to struggle to make any headway.

I think any movement to unite players would have gotten harder in this current environment. That said, if they had an actual union or more unison, players could have better impacted how decisions have been made around health standards, compensation, rankings, etc.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
There was a thread a couple of days ago on another forum asking if Djok would tank so he would have more prep time for the US Open. He's down a set and had the trainer out. He pulled out of doubles the other day with a neck injury but continued with singles. His history with medical time outs has my spidey senses tingling.

Edit: Djok wins in 3.

That's funny because he did the exact opposite today.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's funny because he did the exact opposite today.
Maybe against better judgement, too, as his back seemed a little iffy here and there in the latter stages of that match. (make that,neck)

That first Raonic/Tsitsipas set was an absolute beauty--dead even and nearly flawless until the final point. That is as well as I have ever seen Milos play from the backcourt.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Maybe against better judgement, too, as his back seemed a little iffy here and there in the latter stages of that match.

That first Raonic/Tsitsipas set was an absolute beauty--dead even and nearly flawless until the final point. That is as well as I have ever seen Milos play from the backcourt.

My PVR didn't catch any of the Milos match because they moved it to a different TSN channel, until the final couple of games. Trying to figure out which channel is showing tennis today.

Edit: 1 pm on TSN1. And Azarenka won over Osaka on a walkover as Osaka had an injury.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Milos played a near perfect first set; Nole played a near perfect second set. Milos ran out to a 2-love lead in the third set, but then Nole basically wore him down though Raonic still had a few chances along the way, 6-4. Great week of tennis for Raonic, though, who may have never looked better so consistently for so long. Until he tired, his baseline game was amazing, taking the first 17 out of 25 extended rallies against Nole at the start of the match.

But Nole is the match-up from Hell for Milos. Djokovic's return of serve blunts Milos' main weapon and nobody in the current field in NA has the mental toughness that Nole does. The good news is that Milos is playing good enough to win the US Open; the bad news is somebody else will have to knock off Djokovic before he gets to Raonic if Milos is to do it.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
17 GS, 5 World Tour Finals and 35 ATP Masters including having won all 9 Masters twice (no one has won all 9 even once). In Tennis, we are quite rigid about GS #, but at what point do you factor the other wins into where you place players?

I think if Novak can manage to win one more French Open, that'd do it for me. All of this assuming Roger stays at 20.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Pospisil stepson down from his position on the ATP player council.

He was fighting hard for better player compensation and general stronger voice for players, and seemed to struggle to make any headway.

I think any movement to unite players would have gotten harder in this current environment. That said, if they had an actual union or more unison, players could have better impacted how decisions have been made around health standards, compensation, rankings, etc.

Following up on this post, I didn't realize there's a fair more happening on this, with Djokovic and Pospisil creating a Professional Tennis Players Association. I'm unsure on what that means, and if they'll have influence, but, sounds like there's a lot to come still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad