Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a strange experience it is to watch a match with no fans in a big stadium.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't have the subscription, so can't read it, but from other headlines I've seen, it sounds like he's doubling down on his decisions.

Good for Leylah. She seems to be making up for lost time. Looks likely there's a lot of Canadian storylines right off the bat as the tour returns.
“I don’t think I’ve done anything bad to be honest,” he said. “I do feel sorry for people that were infected. Do I feel guilty for anybody that was infected from that point onward in Serbia, Croatia and the region? Of course not. It’s like a witch hunt, to be honest. How can you blame one individual for everything?”

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
“I don’t think I’ve done anything bad to be honest,” he said. “I do feel sorry for people that were infected. Do I feel guilty for anybody that was infected from that point onward in Serbia, Croatia and the region? Of course not. It’s like a witch hunt, to be honest. How can you blame one individual for everything?”

Reading that, I hope Nadal and Federer play to 50 and demolish him at every grand slam tournament for the rest of his career.

Reactions: MsMeow

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
What a strange experience it is to watch a match with no fans in a big stadium.

I don't even notice anymore. I've gotten used to it.

Not a sharp start for Felix but Basilashvii let him find his game with his terrible serving.
Felix took over after that.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't even notice anymore. I've gotten used to it.

Not a sharp start for Felix but Basilashvii let him find his game with his terrible serving.
Felix took over after that.

Bashilashvili looked like he tanked when Felix took the lead in the second.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis is coming up soon but may have to wait for a women's match to finish. Milos beat Querrey and Andy Murray won against Tiafoe and plays Zverev.

Edit: The Sleeve has returned!

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis and Milos both straight sets winners as well.

Leylah will play her first round match today.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis was great yesterday against Cilic. When he stays within himself and constructs points he's excellent. He can still do the spectacular things but he needs to stay within the rallies

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis was great yesterday against Cilic. When he stays within himself and constructs points he's excellent. He can still do the spectacular things but he needs to stay within the rallies
I thought it looked like he used the time off well, playing smarter tennis by mixing up the speed on his first serve and seeking placement and angles on his groundies. He looked very good against a still very dangerous player.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dimitrov, who took longer than most athletes to recover from his bout with covid-19, looked great dispatching Humbert, 3 and 4. Good to see.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rough loss for Felix...

Serving for the match at 5-4 in the 3rd and basically breaks himself with DF's.

Then up 5-4 in the TB's with two serves...DF and loses 3 points in a row to lose.

50+ errors...

:ha:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Awful, terrible loss for Felix. A candy-assed, weak-kneed, absolutely unclutch performance against a player he should destroy on an even average day. 15 winners and 58 unforced errors with 32 of them coming on the forehand (Sandgren was 17/45). Felix served for both the first and the third set before they went to tie breakers. He might as well take the rest of the season off if he can do no better than this.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis faired only a litttle better in a three set loss to Struff, blowing a break lead in the first set loss and committing 29 forehand errors for the match. Bad day for the Canadians, at least on the men's side.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Murray vs. Zverev's 3rd set was... something else. It was 4-2 Murray, with Murray serving. Then 5-4 Zverev, Zverev serving. Then 7-5 Murray. And that's not because Murray played inspired tennis or anything, despite some great shots here and there.

Sandgren vs. Djokovic. Talk about a matchup with no possible positive outcome.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Loving Milos' hair, headband and sleeve!
The "Gustavo Kuerten" look. I think the hair looks kind of silly, but, whatever....Easy win, 2 and 2 over Murray who obviously has a ways to go yet.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the moment, Medvedev is putting on an absolute clinic against Bautista-Agut who has played well but to no avail, 4-love. I just love watching this guy play.

Bautista Agut broke late in the second set and broke again to take it. This time Roberto was doing the wearing down. He plays with such gravitas, a certain dignity. Patience galore. Third set should be fun.

A near thing, but Roberto hangs on to take an eleven minute final game and the match. A pleasure to watch this match.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Nishikori has withdrawn from the US Open. Another one bites the dust.

So did anyone watch the Serena match last night? I saw some pictures on twitter that involved her throwing her racquet over a barrier and she had to go and get it herself. Also, it sounded like she was tanking.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Osaka statement. Doesn't plan to play in solidarity with them movement starting out of the NBA.

It will be interesting to see if others follow. The nature offers the sport, I don't think you'd see anything on mass, but good to see Osaka take a stand.

Reactions: MsMeow and LarryO

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Milos, saving match points along the way, wins 7-5 in the third overf Krajinovic. The by now familiar MO for Milos, rely on the huge serve and the big forehand and hope that the poor lateral movement, erratic footwork and lack of quickness doesn't cancel the good stuff out. Near thing, tonight.

Reactions: Tuggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad