Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Covid numbers really picking up in France the last few days. If this trend continues the French Open may well be in question.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Covid numbers really picking up in France the last few days. If this trend continues the French Open may well be in question.

It's going to be weird if the two cities that end up hosting ATP tournaments this year are New York and Rome. Sites if the biggest outbreaks and some of the worst numbers.

I wonder what approach China takes. There numbers appear stable, but, I don't think they'd be too eager to risk an outbreak for a tournament involving mainly European and North American players.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
In actual competitive tennis news, Leylah Fernandez is playing Sloane Stephens today in the Lexington WTA event. She's had a big win against her earlier this year, so, it's a winnable match.

Also, WTA event happening in Kentucky right now. I go back to how jarring it is that the country at the epicenter of the pandemic is hosting the first batch of major tournaments.

All the top wta players would otherwise be in Montreal this week, but Canadian officials made the wise decision to not take on these risks. Kentucky has about 5 times the amount of new cases per day right now compared to Quebec, despite half the population.

At least no fans in attendance.

Edit : Fernandez wins. Two wins against a former Grand Spam winner before her 18th birthday.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Nice straight sets win for Leylah.

Genie in Prague with a WC and won her first round match.

Leylah has a winnable match in the next round against a wild card entrant. A win there would take her just a hair outside the top 100.

In the past few months or so, both Bianca and Felix turned 20, and Canada, for the first time in a while, doesn't actually have a teenager in the top 100 on either side. It looks like Leylah will correct that pretty quickly.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Has anyone heard anything about Bianca? She has fallen off the radar completely.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is the only real reference I've seen on her recently

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/rafael-nadal-us-open-withdrawal-1.5673945

But, with her not on the Cincinnati list, I have to think it's not 100% she's playing US Open. She's someone that probably needs a warmup tournament.

Thanks, I follow Stephanie Myles on Twitter and usually get news from her but she had mentioned a while back how little Andreescu has been around and hadn't been posting videos or pics of herself working out like so many others.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Thanks, I follow Stephanie Myles on Twitter and usually get news from her but she had mentioned a while back how little Andreescu has been around and hadn't been posting videos or pics of herself working out like so many others.

Its definitely concerning. Given how silent she's been, I think there's a chance she pulls out.

The current situation also makes it difficult to read the situation. Maybe she's quiet because she's dealing with nagging physical injuries. She may have reservations about safety of the playing environment during the pandemic.

She maybe also be happy with taking advantage of the opportunity to have a low profile right now. 2019 was such an eventful year. But, as she's missed so much time already, I'd assume she's eager to get back to competitive tennis.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Its definitely concerning. Given how silent she's been, I think there's a chance she pulls out.

The current situation also makes it difficult to read the situation. Maybe she's quiet because she's dealing with nagging physical injuries. She may have reservations about safety of the playing environment during the pandemic.

She maybe also be happy with taking advantage of the opportunity to have a low profile right now. 2019 was such an eventful year. But, as she's missed so much time already, I'd assume she's eager to get back to competitive tennis.

I'm hoping she's just doing it to regroup and fly under the radar a bit. That knee injury happened almost a year ago so I hope it's healed.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca pulled out. It was just announced but I don't know why.

Edit: lack of match play and covid are the reasons.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Leylah ousted. She would have played Serena next, so, missed opportunity for a chance to test herself against a legend. But, encouraging that she's playing well out the gate.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Out of Cincy, maybe out of the US Open but this one is injury related.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Nishikori out of Cincy with Covid and possibly the US Open if he tests positive again on Friday.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Guido Pella and Hugo Dellien have been withdrawn from Cincinnati after their physiotherapist, Juan Galvan tested positive. The Cincy statement says that they "have been in close and prolonged contact with this individual."

Very interested to see whether the players isolate for 10 or 14 days. The US Open guidelines make it clear that close contacts of a person who tests positive for coronavirus must quarantine for 14 days.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
We have ATP tennis back this weekend!

It's the Cincinnati Masters1000/PR900 being played in New York.

Plenty of Canadian content.

Fernandez into R2 of qualifying.

Reactions: MsMeow

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad