Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
17 GS, 5 World Tour Finals and 35 ATP Masters including having won all 9 Masters twice (no one has won all 9 even once). In Tennis, we are quite rigid about GS #, but at what point do you factor the other wins into where you place players?

I think if Novak can manage to win one more French Open, that'd do it for me. All of this assuming Roger stays at 20.

The Masters series have only existed since 1990. That's a short slice of tennis history.

And the grand slam was closed to professional players for an extended period until 1968. So obviously there are many other things to take into account when looking at great players.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The Masters series have only existed since 1990. That's a short slice of tennis history.

And the grand slam was closed to professional players for an extended period until 1968. So obviously there are many other things to take into account when looking at great players.

No doubt about that, but I'm talking about comparing all 3 players who've played in the same dynamic.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
A player has tested positive for covid and has been withdrawn from the US Open. The name wasn't provided by the USTA.

Edit: Benoit Paire

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
...And the grand slam was closed to professional players for an extended period until 1968...
That's why Serena has the most women's majors. Plus no one used to play the Aussie, because it was at Christmas so Court racked up wins against Australian amateur nobodies. Many vets such as Chris Evert say this.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
A player has tested positive for covid and has been withdrawn from the US Open. The name wasn't provided by the USTA.

Edit: Benoit Paire

I posted it in the US Open thread. The early guesses are 3 players are gonna be out. Two French players and Medvedev. I don’t believe they’ll count anyone who played a match against him as a close contact given the precautions they take with the balls and also being outdoors. They’ll have to hope it doesn’t lead to an outbreak or this will probably end up not finishing.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That's why Serena has the most women's majors. Plus no one used to play the Aussie, because it was at Christmas so Court racked up wins against Australian amateur nobodies. Many vets such as Chris Evert say this.

That's true. Court's grand slam count is inflated. Evert's however is lower than it would have been if she played more Aussies and French opens. She probably would have retired with 23-25.

This is also somewhat true of men in the 1970s and 80s. The Australian open was a minor tournament for most of those years, which means players like Connors, Borg, McEnroe and even Lendl won would have won more majors in a more standardized environment.

Connors would have wound up with 10 or more. Borg would have had probably as many as Sampras by his 25th birthday.

Reactions: Soul Man

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I love looking at the GS records. Here's a few of my favorites:

Finals#
1. Roger Federer31
2. Rafael Nadal27
3. Novak Djokovic26
4. Ivan Lendl19
5. Pete Sampras18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Semifinals#
1. Roger Federer46
2. Novak Djokovic37
3. Rafael Nadal33
4. Jimmy Connors31
5. Ivan Lendl28
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Quarterfinals#
1. Roger Federer57
2. Novak Djokovic46
3. Jimmy Connors41
Rafael Nadal
5. Roy Emerson37
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Finals#
1. Chris Evert34
2. Serena Williams33
3./ M. Navratilova32
4. Steffi Graf31
5. Margaret Court29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Semifinals#
1. Chris Evert52
2./ M. Navratilova44
3. Serena Williams38
4. Steffi Graf37
5. Margaret Court36
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Quarterfinals#
1. Chris Evert54
2./ M. Navratilova53
3. Serena Williams52
4. Margaret Court43
5. Steffi Graf42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie, who went through qualifying, beat Kuznetsova today in Istanbul to reach the QF there.

She's plummeted in the rankings but she's still plugging away. Credit to her.

A win in the QF would get her back into the top 200.

She seems quite focused and determined. Looks fitter now too (not so skinny).

giphy.gif

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Genie, who went through qualifying, beat Kuznetsova today in Istanbul to reach the QF there.

She's plummeted in the rankings but she's still plugging away. Credit to her.

A win in the QF would get her back into the top 200.

She seems quite focused and determined. Looks fitter now too (not so skinny).

giphy.gif

Really glad to see this. She totally lost her way a few years ago and it's great to see she's still plugging away at it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie comes from a set down and wins in 3 sets to reach the SF.

Back in the top 200 now.

Wonder if she can manage a WC (MD or Q) at the French Open...

We'll see what she has left in the tank for the SF. 3 hour match today and she's played a lot this week having to go through qualifying.

giphy.gif

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Genie comes from a set down and wins in 3 sets to reach the SF.

Back in the top 200 now.

Wonder if she can manage a WC (MD or Q) at the French Open...

We'll see what she has left in the tank for the SF. 3 hour match today and she's played a lot this week having to go through qualifying.

giphy.gif
I have a lot of respect for Genie continuing to try to slug it out at low level tourneys and get back to being a relevant tennis player. I talked a fair amount of shit about her not caring and just wanting to be an instagram model so respect where respect is due, she clearly cares about tennis. She could live off her social media following and sponsorship money tbh.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I have a lot of respect for Genie continuing to try to slug it out at low level tourneys and get back to being a relevant tennis player. I talked a fair amount of shit about her not caring and just wanting to be an instagram model so respect where respect is due, she clearly cares about tennis. She could live off her social media following and sponsorship money tbh.

Does she have a lot of sponsorships now? I think she wears Nike but once she dropped below a certain ranking that ended.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well, amazing week for Genie has come to an end.

She lost a hard fought final in a 3rd set tiebreak.

I hope this can be a jumping off point for her to get things back together, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: MsMeow

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix lost his first round match in Rome to Krajinovic.

Shapovalov and Raonic are also playing there.

Djokovic and Nadal are also set to play.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's really weird having a Masters event right on the heels of a major. I know that's the slightest of concerns these days, but weird for Thiem to have this gigantic moment and have the page turned immediately.

Sucks for Felix. I thought he'd be more of a threat on clay.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's really weird having a Masters event right on the heels of a major. I know that's the slightest of concerns these days, but weird for Thiem to have this gigantic moment and have the page turned immediately.

Sucks for Felix. I thought he'd be more of a threat on clay.

It's a very quick transition from hard courts to clay. I'm not going to put too much stock into today. But it was a very bad performance from Felix :laugh:

He's got Hamburg to get his shit together before RG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad