Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If one was trying to put a game plan on how to defeat skmeone like John Isner, I'd think keeping your double faults to below 7 would be a critical item.

I'm eager to see the highlights on this one when I have a chance. I think Felix should be able to walk away from this tournament feeling that he's a part of this club now. He started the year outside the top 100. He's now top 40 and should be well placed to move up if he brings this type of game to the clay courts.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If one was trying to put a game plan on how to defeat skmeone like John Isner, I'd think keeping your double faults to below 7 would be a critical item.
Another suggestion: stay aggressive on baseline rallies; just because John makes a few early mistakes doesn't mean a cakewalk awaits you so don't get tempted to just push the ball and hope things work out.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Oh no, he lost in 2 breakers? I'm actually quite surprised he took it to 2 breakers but that has to be heartbreaking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Denis is going to need to be super-sharp. no prolonged walkabouts.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh no, he lost in 2 breakers? I'm actually quite surprised he took it to 2 breakers but that has to be heartbreaking.
Served for the set in each case and was broken. Definitely a painful loss.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger holds at love. Classic move--right back to you, Denis....and, voila, the break.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Unforced errors: 1 and 14. Tough to be competitive with those numbers.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
First Federer match I'm watching live in a while, has he looked this crisp the entire tournament?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty ugly stuff right now from Denis who seems to have entered a death spiral.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First Federer match I'm watching live in a while, has he looked this crisp the entire tournament?
Everytime that I have watched him he has been very sharp--he's had a terrific tournament so far.

Reactions: Cruor

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
In his post-match interview Denis mentioned that Roger was his idol and that he's been waiting his whole life for this match (side note: Denis really is great in his interviews sometimes). Well it certainly looks like a fan taking on his idol out there right now.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In his post-match interview Denis mentioned that Roger was his idol and that he's been waiting his whole life for this match (side note: Denis really is great in his interviews sometimes). Well it certainly looks like a fan taking on his idol out there right now.
Exactly. He may take a deep breath and come out fighting in the next set, or the "wow' factor may do him in again. Maybe, this is just one match he has to get out of his system.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Tough loss for Felix but he broke Isner, TWICE. His return game is phenomenal and once he gets a more consistent ball toss and second serve he'll be headed straight to the top-10 and beyond.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I wonder how many young players have come up against Federer like this and figure they'll get their chance to be the best once he retires.

One of the downsides of Felix's loss today is that he's misses a chance to go against Federer when he's at this level in a match with a lot on the line. A match like this should hopefully be a guide for Denis to realize where his game needs to be. Let's see what the second set reveals.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger makes it mercifully quick. Nobody beats their hero on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad