Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think Roger knew exactly what to do against his young fan. Strike early and often. That first game, even though Denis won, must have made him realize he wasn't playing one of the younger guys. Then Roger held easily and it was downhill from there.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Barty defeats Pliskova going away 7-6, 6-3. Ashleigh played very well in the first set, but absolutely dominated the second set in which Pliskova seemed beaten to begin with. Somehow managing scads of aces on her 100 mph serve, Barty looked more confident and played more consistently than any time that I have seen her in the past.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Good to see Barty win her first Premier Mandatory title. She's another up-and-comer that relies on a diversified repertoire of shots rather than the typical see-ball-bash-ball approach. Not sure what her potential is beyond the top 10 but her game is plenty of fun to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger Federer 101

Isner has to be totally lights out on serve to stand a chance, and I don't think that's going to happen.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger 6-1. Let's just call it a slaughter in 24 minutes and leave it at that.

6-4 in the second set as an ankle woe makes the last couple of games excruciating for John.

Championship matches don't get much easier than that one.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Third consecutive final for Roger and he looks to be in flowing form today. Appreciating his brilliance right now 'cause at 37 who knows how many more times we'll get to experience this.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third consecutive final for Roger and he looks to be in flowing form today. Appreciating his brilliance right now 'cause at 37 who knows how many more times we'll get to experience this.
It's a good point but I wrote something similar when he was 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36. Today, if fact all week after that weird first set against Albot in the first round, he has seemed ageless.

Reactions: Beau Knows

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Canadian Denis Shapovalov jumps into top 20 in ATP Tour rankings - Sportsnet.ca

Milos 15
Denis 20
Felix 33

WOW!!!!!

Also, Felix has a wildcard for Madrid.

I find it infinitely weird how tennis has such a lag for entry requirements, that players need to rely on wildcards in these situations.

Madrid is a month away, and Felix is a top 40 player right now and could easily be top 30 or higher by the time the tournament rolls around.

You'd think they'd want to have the system automatically ensure that the talent that's been playing well recently getting access to tournaments if their rankings are there.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I find it infinitely weird how tennis has such a lag for entry requirements, that players need to rely on wildcards in these situations.

Madrid is a month away, and Felix is a top 40 player right now and could easily be top 30 or higher by the time the tournament rolls around.

You'd think they'd want to have the system automatically ensure that the talent that's been playing well recently getting access to tournaments if their rankings are there.

Yeah, I agree. I also am shocked that it's so far away, I thought it was coming up in a week or so.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just offhand, can anybody remember as easier Federer victory than Miami? Pretty damn impressive at 37.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just offhand, can anybody remember as easier Federer victory than Miami? Pretty damn impressive at 37.

He does well when he has extra motivation. The match against Denis was one where you knew he would hit an extra gear. Then Isner, you just have to be patient and hope to break him. The injury to Isner also helped him. Roger's biggest problem is when he plays against Rafa or Djokovic who are both in his head a bit too much.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
She does not really have a tennis career. Head for modelling full time while you still can. Make sure you do not take any roles requiring speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad