Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So looking at past five years of scheduling, #1 seed plays on the second monday (Day 9) of French Open, so I'm going to buy 2 tickets. Hard to think that Novak would lose his ranking to anyone by end of May. Now fingers crossed, he stays healthy for FO and makes it to 4th round.

P.S. 80-105 euros for 4 singles matches at PC court is a pretty decent deal.

Reactions: kihei and Hadoop

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Good start to the Fed Cup WG II for Canada. They are in the Netherlands and Andreescu won the opening match this morning.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lots of Canadians in action this week. Raonic and Shapovalov in Rotterdam (ATP 500), Felix in Buenos Aires (ATP 250), Polansky and Schnur (qualifying) in New York (ATP 250).

Also in New York, a former Canadian junior champ gets his first chance on the tour. He goes to school at Columbia.

Jack Mingjie Lin earns New York Open wild card after a thriller

Jack Mingjie Lin and Alafia Ayeni have met on Sunday to decide the winner of the Invitational and grab that ATP main draw wild card. After a thrilling contest, Min forged a 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(5) victory to book his place in the main draw of the ATP 250 event in New York, getting a chance to make his debut on February 12. The 19-year-old Jack Mingjie Lin is a former Canadian junior national champion, having a chance to work at the Canada National Training Center before joining Columbia Bears in 2017.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Lots of Canadians in action this week. Raonic and Shapovalov in Rotterdam (ATP 500), Felix in Buenos Aires (ATP 250), Polansky and Schnur (qualifying) in New York (ATP 250).

Also in New York, a former Canadian junior champ gets his first chance on the tour. He goes to school at Columbia.

Jack Mingjie Lin earns New York Open wild card after a thriller

Thanks for posting these, Tuggy. I came here hoping to see who was playing where and as usual, you had it all laid out!

Reactions: Tuggy

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
:( Dammit. Murray has been one of my favourites ever since I watched him win the Rogers Cup, even if he's seen by many as the 'and-1' to the big 3. It's too bad he only won 3 slams because IMO he could have easily won 7 or 8 if he'd been born in any other era.

Also wonder if he knew he would probably never be 100% physically again 6-months ago when he broke down after that marathon match at the Citi Open.

FWIW, I was at that Andy Murray/Marius Copil match and stayed until it ended at 3:02 AM ET.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Meanwhile in the WTA, newly crowned Australian Open champion and world #1 Naomi Osaka has split with her coach, Serena's former hitter partner/confidente Sascha Bajin. In fact, on the women's side the winners of the 4 most recent slams have all split with the coach they were with when they won. Two others with grand slams on their resume, Stephens and Venus, have recently changed coaches as well.

At the risk of dipping my toes into politically incorrect waters, it sure seems for whatever reason like there's more turn-over among coaches at the highest echelons of women's tennis compared to men's tennis.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky lost but Schnur does get his first ATP tour win! Tough match for him tomorrow against Steve Johnson.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Meanwhile in the WTA, newly crowned Australian Open champion and world #1 Naomi Osaka has split with her coach, Serena's former hitter partner/confidente Sascha Bajin. In fact, on the women's side the winners of the 4 most recent slams have all split with the coach they were with when they won. Two others with grand slams on their resume, Stephens and Venus, have recently changed coaches as well.

At the risk of dipping my toes into politically incorrect waters, it sure seems for whatever reason like there's more turn-over among coaches at the highest echelons of women's tennis compared to men's tennis.
Bajin deserves a lot of credit. She was raw as could be when she started the tour.

Last edited:

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Wow that must've been an awesome experience. It's a shame to see someone as great as Murray not be able to go out on his own terms

It was a tiring experience to be honest. (I had also seen Murray play in person previously, most notably at the U.S. Open in 2015 when he was upset by Kevin Anderson in the 4th round at Armstrong Stadium in a 4+ hour match. THAT was a good match.)

Somewhat lost in the commotion about the Murray/Copil Citi Open match ending at 3 AM (and starting at 12 AM because of all the rain earlier in the day delaying the start of play that day by roughly 4 hours) is that the match took 3 hours to play, an extremely long time for a 3 set match.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Looks like Milos plays at 1:30 eastern and Denis right after him, both matches on TSN3.

Milos dropped the first set 6-4 to Stan and they are on serve in the second.

Milos loses the second in a breaker. Stan was too good this match.

Denis takes the first set over Berdych, 6-4. Denis is playing great, and had a lot of chances to break but finally did it in Berdych's last service game.

Denis is up 2-1 and a break in the second. Unless he completely brain cramps, this should be over soon. He's playing really steady, offensive tennis, serving well and painting lines.

Denis wins 4 and 3. Outside of one poor service game in the second, he played near perfect tennis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Medvedev is on quite a run to start the year. I remember saying last year that the Bear would be a beast and he's turning into one.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis and Stan in a battle. Stan took the first set and was up two breaks in the second but Denis has fought back to 5-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad