Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Entry list for Miami was in this week, so no.

Maybe a WC.

He's played amazing this week. His forehand is lethal.

Oh well. He'll get lots of opportunity for the clay season at least. I'm eager to see both Shapo and Felix at the same events regularly. I think the friendly rivalry between the two may be what puts both of them into that final tier.

We're 2 months in and there's been so many great Canadian tennis stories so far.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That's amazing about Felix! I just got home from dinner and this was the first site I visited so I could see the result. I will watch tomorrow.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The final will be on TSN2 around 3 EST I believe.

Felix is the youngest finalist at an ATP 500 event.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not a great start from Felix.

But the match definitely feels like it's on his racket.

Setting in now. Got one break back. Down 3-4.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That was a bit painful to watch but congrats to Djere. Onward and upward, Felix, and I hope everyones eyes are okay after all that glittery paper that rained on them once the trophy was presented.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Well Djere takes it after Felix fights off 4 match points.

Tough loss but awesome week!

That was a bit painful to watch but congrats to Djere. Onward and upward, Felix, and I hope everyones eyes are okay after all that glittery paper that rained on them once the trophy was presented.

Did either of you watch Djere's speech afterwards?

Was hoping Felix would win, but you gotta feel for the guy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I hadn't seen it, thanks. But I knew his story about losing his parents the way he did. Djere played very well and was a deserved winner.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I saw it. His reaction after he won wasn't the type you'd expect from someone who won, so you could tell his emotions were high.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
During the past couple of weeks, just for the giggles, I have been looking at all the FAA footage that I can find, with the name of the game being discover the weakness. After watching everything that I can, I just don't see one. He has to work on his volleys, but when he does get to the net he usually looks extremely comfortable up there, even possessing a certain elan. No serious weaknesses is crazy--who's the last player to give that impression at this age? Nole?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
During the past couple of weeks, just for the giggles, I have been looking at all the FAA footage that I can find, with the name of the game being discover the weakness. After watching everything that I can, I just don't see one. He has to work on his volleys, but when he does get to the net he usually looks extremely comfortable up there, even possessing a certain elan. No serious weaknesses is crazy--who's the last player to give that impression at this age? Nole?

I've heard that one before and IMO it's a good comparison. I would say his biggest weakness right now aside from consistency is his second serve, but he is both incredibly athletic and technically sound in all facets of his game.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I think the serve right now is the only weaknesses. The serve itself is fine, but getting first serves in is a problem. So he doesn't get enough "free" points on his serve.

This is obviously correctable and I'm sure with age, consistency will come.

But everything else is almost flawless. His forehand is lethal and his backhand is solid. He is big, athletic, and covers the court with ease.

And he's an all court player. The only thing holding him back is injury.

Speaking of Felix...he'll open up today in Sao Paulo against Cuevas. It was a tough match last week between these two and I expect the same today. I think Cuevas might get his revenge.

Andreescu opened up with an easy win in Acapulco last night.

Canada now with two 18 year old's in the top 70 on both sides and they are rising. And of course a 19 year old (Shapo) in the top 25.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm really glad Felix had a couple of days off for this tourney. Such exciting times for Canadian tennis!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix beats Cuevas again in 3 sets!

Felix controlled the match after the first set. Didn't face a BP in the last two sets.

Ramos next.

Reactions: MsMeow

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Wow Kyrgios took out Nadal last night in Acapulco. I saw Nadal win the first set and figured it was over :laugh:

3 MP's saved in the final set TB. And Kyrgios being Kyrgios of course ;)

Reactions: Hadoop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad