Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
For sure he's gonna continue playing until he gets to 100 tournament victories (he's at 99 right now). After that it's tough to say because he isn't just the GOAT, but also quite arguably the most beloved player around the world in tennis history.

I thought getting to or surpassing 109 was possible, certainly doesn't look like it anymore.

I think next year will probably be his last, but I hope he keeps playing as long as he's good enough to win some tournaments and stay in or around the top 10 which I think he could do for a couple more years.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
There really isn't a way to predict who will play on the 2nd day of 4th round at French Open, eh? I will have the option of buying tickets for either June 2nd or 3rd in Paris (both 4th round days). I mean, I will buy Philippe-Chartier court tickets since top seeds likely to play there instead of SL court, but I just want to watch Nole play live for once. Missed out on Rogers Cup (played day, bought night SF tickets) and Rome (bought 3rd round, saw Rafa instead).

I guess only guarantee is to buy both days' tickets (and of course, if he makes it to 4th round). That hurts my wallet, haha.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There really isn't a way to predict who will play on the 2nd day of 4th round at French Open, eh? I will have the option of buying tickets for either June 2nd or 3rd in Paris (both 4th round days). I mean, I will buy Philippe-Chartier court tickets since top seeds likely to play there instead of SL court, but I just want to watch Nole play live for once. Missed out on Rogers Cup (played day, bought night SF tickets) and Rome (bought 3rd round, saw Rafa instead).

I guess only guarantee is to buy both days' tickets (and of course, if he makes it to 4th round). That hurts my wallet, haha.
Buy 'em both. It's only money. Lucky you, either way.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The second half of the Top Twenty is a harbinger of change these days. 11-20 in the rankings consists on no less than eight players who have recently achieved career highs: Coric, Fognini, Edmund, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Kachanov, Cecchinato, Basilashvili. Fog is 31; Cecchinato and Basilashvili are 26; all the rest are Next Gens.

On the women's side, Anett Kontaveit will finish the year at #19, another career high, one of seven Next Gens in the women's top twenty one.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nadal pulls out of Paris (injury).

Djokovic will officially be back at #1 on Monday.
It's an abdomen related injury--hope it's not a tear of some kind or anything related to a hernia--both potential long roads to recovery. A good chance, I assume, that he won't play in London in the ATP finals, a major tournament that he has unbelievably yet to win. As far as his body, it seems as if it is not one thing it is another these days.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Hopefully Nadal caught it early enough. He should be smart enough by now to listen to his body.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sock on his way to defending his title... :laugh:

Almost back in the top 100 in the live rankings.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Coric/Thiem was a good match for two and a half sets. Just when it looked like Coric at 3-1 in the third was ready to pull off a major win against one of his chief competitors, he choked horribly--conveniently, so did Thiem. But try as he might, Dominic couldn't out regurgitate Borna who couldn't keep the ball in play and was just pushing the ball back, just barely keeping the ball in play. So what should have been a significan step forward for Coric instead became a tarnished victory for Thiem.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Disastrous opening set for Zverev as he loses all four of his service games, two with a double fault at the end. Khachanov hardly breaks a sweat in his 6-1 win. An arm/shoulder problem may or may not be hampering Sascha.

2nd set: All Karen has to do is keep the ball in play and eventually a mistake will come from Zverev, 6-2 as Khachanov's great break out year continues.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The dream is over for Sock defending his title...Thiem takes him out.

So Jack sits at 105 in the live rankings and his season is done. Still challengers out there and hopefully Felix can jump over him :D

Felix will play a CH next week, which I believe will be his last tournament this season. He is right on the edge of direct entry for the Aussie Open and could use a couple more spots to guarantee it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sock finishes a mystifying 7-21 in singles for the year. He didn't beat any opponent ranked higher than #32 all year (Cuevas at Indian Wells, the only seeded player Sock beat all year). In 2017, Jack was 38-21.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cilic takes the first set 6-4. He played exceptionally well, but Nole didn't play all that badly either, so this match could still turn on a dime.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Impressive stuff by Cilic. Probably as good as I've ever seen him play. Serving very well, and hitting the lines with his forehand.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty much down hill for Marin after the first set, a song we have heard so many times before.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kei goes down 4 and 4 to Roger, Nishikori's sixth straight loss against Federer after a bit of early success. Roger ranged from ordinary to brilliant with some mindboggling drop volleys from ungodly angles that landed three inches over the net.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole and Roger tomorrow. Worth getting up for--who knows how many more times these two will play against each other?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Mildly entertaining match between Thiem and Khachanov right now. Evidently the TSN is using a UK feed because one of the commentators just made a cricket analogy that went completely over my head lol.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fed and Nole off to a 1-1 start, but this could be ugly. Nole looking capable of domination at the moment....ur, check that. Roger playing very well, too--damn fine hitting from both players.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole takes the tie breaker. Good first set--difference seems to be a matter of younger reflexes versus older reflexes (with one spectacular exception).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad