Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
From down 1-3 to 3-3 Khachanov gives us some indication of what the top of his game looks like--and it is pretty damn impressive....Karen breaks for 6-5. Nole has his hands full today....and Khachanov holds for the set. Well, Khachanov sure as hell deserved that set--massively skilled play from the Russian.

2nd set: Continued strong play nabs Karen an early break, 2-1. Where did this sense of tactics come from all of a sudden? He's not just pounding anymore, he's thinking....Khachanov serving at 76% for the match so far--doing a ton of damage with that serve, too....to his credit, Nole hanging in there, if just barely, maybe hoping for an attack of nerves in the late stages from Karen, 4-3 Khachanov to serve....Khachanov first serving at 85% this set. Yikes.....Now 5-4 and Karen hasn't blinked yet, but this will be interesting to see if he can close out such a potentially huge win....serves it out cool as a cucumber.

At the net, gracious as ever in defeat, I think Nole said to Karen "marvelous." Amen.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2019 is going to be interesting--the changing of the guard looks right on the doorstep of taking control...or at least making a sizeable dent in the Big Three super dominance.

Reactions: Tuggy

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Very impressive from Karen. Novak a bit out of steam, happy with overall results. #1 tomorrow.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Khachenov looked threatening against Nadal in the Semis in Toronto as well. Definitely has the game and the demeanor to go deep in a grand slam sooner or later.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I would love to see some of these guys step up and continue to chip away at the big 3.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nadal closes it down for the year; will have surgery on his ankle. Abdomen problem still bothering him.

Nole ties Roger with five year-end #1s. Rafa has four. Among them they have traded back and forth a 15 year dominance over the circuit, interrupted only once by Andy Murray in 2016. No previous period in tennis history has seen anything like it--three potential GOATs playing at the same time and dividing the spoils of conquest almost equally.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix will play his last tournament of the season this week at the CH in Mouilleron le Captif. He'll play his first round match tomorrow.

He's sitting at 108 in the live rankings right now. A title here would guarantee him top 100 to end the year. Finalist, he'll have a good shot. A SF appearance wouldn't crack 100 but could be good enough for direct entry into the AO. Anything less and he may be playing qualifying for the next major. He could still get in at 108 if there is a bunch of withdrawals, but the cutoff is usually higher.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix will play his last tournament of the season this week at the CH in Mouilleron le Captif. He'll play his first round match tomorrow.

He's sitting at 108 in the live rankings right now. A title here would guarantee him top 100 to end the year. Finalist, he'll have a good shot. A SF appearance wouldn't crack 100 but could be good enough for direct entry into the AO. Anything less and he may be playing qualifying for the next major. He could still get in at 108 if there is a bunch of withdrawals, but the cutoff is usually higher.

Unfortunately Felix had to withdraw (knee injury).

That sucks, top 100 will have to wait for 2019.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Big day in Milan as the four remaining undefeated Next Gen players are in action against one another.

Tiafoe's inability to return serve is a big reason why he lost to a very sharp Tsitsipas in straight sets. Stefanos is the first played to reach the Next Gen semis, and he looks like a definite favourite at the moment to win this tournament.

Rublev versus De Minaur--reminds me of the title of the Clint Eastwood/Jeff Bridges movie Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.....De Minaur ability to chase everything down and to make good use of his Fognini-quick hands drive Rublev crazy as Alex wins in four to make the semi-finals.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Did anybody see De Minaur making such a splash this year? I sure didn't. While he was a highly ranked juniour, he never won a thing at that level. After turning pro he only won one minor Futures event and didn't even have a Challenger level victory until this past June at Nottingham. In other words, two tournament victories, both of them minor, for his entire career. He sure looks like he is here to stay now, though. Fun player to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Next Gen prides itself on its innovation, many of which I don't like. But I love making the players look after their own towels. Hope that catches on with the big tour. It should be called the Verdasco Innovation.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Unfortunately Felix had to withdraw (knee injury).

That sucks, top 100 will have to wait for 2019.

I would preach patience with FAA. He's a huge talent; arguably the biggest in Canadian tennis history. At the same time it's clear he's still growing into his frame. Obviously he'll move into the top 100 very soon, but the speed of his trajectory up the rankings after that is still to be determined IMO.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
De Minaur destroys Fritz in straight sets (Alex has only lost one set this week) to join Rublev in the semi-finals. The other half of the draw is still to be decided, though Tsitsipas is definitely in the semis.

and he is joined by Munar, who was seeded #7 coming into the tournament.

De Minaur versus Munar
Tsitsipas versus Rublev

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
De Minaur beats Munar in five entertaining sets to get to the final. Jesus, I don't know if I have ever seen a player with quicker hands than De Minaur--maybe Rios, but no one else comes readily to mind.

In the other semi, Tsitsipas defeated Rublev in a tie breaker in the fifth set. Stefanos looked the better, more complete player but Rublev put up a very good fight. Fun final it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadoop

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like De Minaur big time in the final and he just got the first break of the match, 3-2 in the first set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I love that De Minaur's coach brings his twelve-year-old daughter to every match and sits beside her. What a cool dad.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Set apiece now as these two are so evenly matched that dominance for either player is almost impossible to establish.

Tsitsipas takes the third set in a breaker where he clearly establishes his will over Alex's. Fascinating match so far.

Fourth set is tight but Stefanos takes it in another breaker for the match. Clearly the better player won as he is the first person all week who managed to blunt Alex's speed and quickness by controlling play. Kudos to both for a great tournament, though.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nishikori and Federer 2-2 in what so far has been the dullest match in tennis history--they are both in a daze.

5-all now and the terrible play continues on both sides. Over 50% of serves have not been returned in this match. When they are returned, the play is listless and tired.

Roger sleepwalks through the tie breaker, too, going down 6-1 before losing it 7-4. That had to be one of the most affectless sets in Roger's career.

2nd set: Roger gets the opening break and gives it right back as his returns are flying everywhere but on the court. Definitely out of sorts behaviour, too, 1-1.

I'm beginning to think that Roger must have a back problem or something. His play is troubling right now, 3-2 on serve....now 4-2 for Kei though he didn't have to do much to get the break from Roger who continues to be hideously off form.

Kei easily serves it out.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That is the worse match that I have ever seen Roger play. Whatever might be second isn't even close. Kei beat Roger on a day that Nishikori was off himself, at least until the latter stages of the second set. Kei finished with a gruesome 6-16 w/ue ratio and still won in straight sets (an important consideration if the tie breakers are needed to determine who goes forward to the eventual semis).

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fed should never have played Basel and Paris back to back. Even worse he's now on a five match losing streak against top 10 opposition.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Interesting article about Federer and things that go on behind the scenes.

French radio show lifts the veil on Federer - Tennis.life

France’s Julien Benneteau is wrapping up a long career.
And so, the 36-year-old veteran is well past holding back. And on a French radio show last weekend, he let loose during a startlingly open discussion about conflicts of interest in tennis – notably the ones revolving around Roger Federer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad