Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well, wasn't that tough after all for Genie :laugh: 6-1 6-0 beatdown.

This should get her back into the top 100.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis and Vasek win the battle of Canadians today.

Maybe we can get 3 champs this week :D

Denis took 3 sets to beat Polansky and Milos lost in straights to Vasek. Milos is on a really bad downward spiral.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After a horrible start from Bouchard in which she quickly went down love-3 and looked ready to give up the ghost, she has come back with three strong games and has put Petkovic and her big forehand on the defensive.

Petkovic raises her game, serves to 5-3, 40-love, and then Bouchard hits a series of high speed, high risk winners and we are at 5-4....But then Bouchard loses her serve at love and all her hard work that set is for naught, 6-4 Petkovic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another poor effort against Gulbis for Shapovalov.

He needs the offseason in a bad way.

Still has some time to redeem the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath.

In other news...I read that Felix may be getting a WC into the 500 in Vienna next week.

We'll see, but if true it could be the last step he needs to reaching his top 100 goal for 2018.

Reactions: kihei and MsMeow

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Wimbledon will institute tiebreakers at 12-12 in the final set starting next year. Kudos to Isner for paving the way for this overdue change.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wimbledon will institute tiebreakers at 12-12 in the final set starting next year. Kudos to Isner for paving the way for this overdue change.
Good and reasonable change. Makes a lot of sense.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tunisia's #1 Ons (The Hutt) Jabeur, who I have never seen play before, averaged almost two outright winners per game (45 in all) in her three set win over Sevastova in Moscow. She earlier in the week knocked off two other seeded players, Stephens and Kontaveit--pretty damn impressive run.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Genie fell apart, was so close to the final. Serving for the match at 5-4 in the second but got broken. Wheels fell off from there.

Pospisil/Monfils underway in Antwerp.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wait so most folks here are still Genie fans?
Neither fan, nor foe. When she's on her game, I watch; when she is not on her game, I find something else to do. No emotional involvement whatsoever one way or the other.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Neat and tidy first set win for Tsitsipas over Gulbis, 6-4. Quite even until the tenth game. Ernests modified forehand is an improvement over the Great Condor stroke he used to employ but only marginally so--he still makes way too many unforced errors off that wing.

Neat and tidy second set, too, in which, again, Gulbis gives up the ghost in the tenth game.

I must say the more I watch Tsitsipas the more I appreciate the intelligence of his game--kind of surprising in one as young as he is.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a year for Kyle Edmund. He outplays a patient, defensive-minded Monfils, 3-6, 7-6, 7-6 to win his first ATP championship in Antwerp.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix wins the first set over Fucsovics in impressive fashion, 6-1. (Match is on TSN3)

Poor service game from Felix and he is broken, down 0-2 to start the second. I've seen enough of his matches to know he can win a set 6-1 and just as easily lose the next 6-1.

And that's pretty much what happened. Consistency is still his biggest issue.

Felix lost 7-5 in the 3rd.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Milos and Denis both lost in straight sets today. Milos to Meltzer, who is pretty much retired, and Denis to Cilic.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Five guys 22 and under ranked in the top 20 in the latest official rankings (Zverev, Coric, Tsitsipas, Khachanov and Medvedev). The GOAT generation still rule the ATP for now (7 of the top 9 are 30 somethings!) but the next gen are making their strides one small step at a time.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Milos and Denis both lost in straight sets today. Milos to Meltzer, who is pretty much retired, and Denis to Cilic.

Make that officially retired. Vienna, which just happens to be Meltzer's hometown, was his last tournament as a pro. And with his withdrawal due to health reasons today his last match was the win over Raonic.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Five guys 22 and under ranked in the top 20 in the latest official rankings (Zverev, Coric, Tsitsipas, Khachanov and Medvedev). The GOAT generation still rule the ATP for now (7 of the top 9 are 30 somethings!) but the next gen are making their strides one small step at a time.
Interesting, too, that they aren't necessarily the Next Gens that I thought would prosper so greatly a year ago (Chung, Rublev, Shapovalov, Kyrgios).

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Struff was up 3-1 on Roger, having got there by hitting almost exclusively to Roger's backhand. Worked for awhile...and then it spectacularly didn't. Roger takes the set 6-3 to the delight of his hometown crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad