Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It happens a lot more often on the WTA circuit that a really young player impresses.

On the ATP circuit, it's rare, what Shapovalov is doing is really something incredible.

He's the youngest player to reach a Masters 1000 semifinal in the history of this sport! :amazed:

I don't want to discredit what Shapovalov has done so far because it is impressive in its own right, but Eugenie made it to a GS final and semi-finals in two other GS in 2014. Shapovalov just made it to the SF in a Masters 1000 tournament.

Regardless of age, there is no way that what Shapovalov just did is more impressive than what Bouchard did in 2014.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't want to discredit what Shapovalov has done so far because it is impressive in its own right, but Eugenie made it to a GS final and semi-finals in two other GS in 2014. Shapovalov just made it to the SF in a Masters 1000 tournament.

Regardless of age, there is no way that what Shapovalov just did is more impressive than what Bouchard did in 2014.

Well sure if you don't take into count their age Bouchard reaching a GS final is more prestigious but that's the whole point here, it's Shapovalov doing it at such a young age.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Well sure if you don't take into count their age Bouchard reaching a GS final is more prestigious but that's the whole point here, it's Shapovalov doing it at such a young age.

I'm not sure you know what "regardless" means. Even taking age into account, what Eugenie did is bounds and leaps more impressive than what Shapovalov just did, IMO. That's just my opinion of course and you're entitled to have yours, but we're comparing Denis doing it for one Masters 1000 tourney to Eugenie doing it for three straight Grand Slams.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Shapovalov did something no player has ever done before at that age. What Eugenie did, countless others did before her and did it earlier and better, care to explain why Eugenie's body of work is more impressive ? When Eugenie was 18 she was playing in junior wimbledon, not beating one of the greatest player of all time in a masters.

EDIT:

BTW, I don't want to diminish Bouchard's 2014 peak but she got some easy draws in those slams. Here are her wins against top 10 opponents :

Stosur
Jankovic

Errani
Jankovic
Kerber (twice)
Halep
Wozniacki

Kerber
Cibulkova

Kerber
Cibulkova

I don't see a single name in there even in the realm of beating Nadal in a masters. Grats to her on going far in a few slams but it was more of a fluke than anything else.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So Bouchard's Grand Slam runs are great and all, but for the AO and some of the FO her opponents weren't necessarily strong opponents. Her AO run was due in part to a draw the fell apart massively. She didn't face a seeded player until the QFs, and then instead of being Serena Williams like it was supposed to be is was 12th seeded Ana Ivanovic.

4 of her opponents were ranked 60 or lower, she did beat Ivanovic which was impressive before losing to Na.

the FO her first 3 opponents were 80 or less, she did beat Kerber and CSN though before losing to Sharapova. Her first seeded opponent here was in the 4th round

Her Wimbledon run was very impressive though. Her lowest ranked opponent was her 2nd round (ranked 75) otherwise everyone was over 40, with two top 10 wins in there (Kerber again and Halep)

It should also be noted that Bouchard was already ranked 31 when she started this run.

Shapovalov coming into Montreal has had 7 ATP level matches (and only on GS match). He came in ranked 134, and he's beaten 4 top 100 players, including the current #2.

Bouchard's run is very impressive indeed, Shapovalov might be equal if we are talking about one Grand Slam run by Bouchard, but it's 3.

Shapovalov's run is still impressive especially on the men's side where it has been dominated by the big 4. Even with 2 of them not being here, he still beat Nadal.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Shapovalov's run is amazing. And while Bouchard had the more prestigious tournament runs, it just seems that in the WTA circuit, everyone can beat eachother. There's a "new" player every GS.

What Shapovalov has done (beat Nadal and deny him the #1) is astounding.

And it's also nice to see young players with a one-handed backhand.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I don't know how you compare a year of Bouchard to one week of Shapovalov, even taking age into account. Yes, it's unprecedented and amazing, but if you are trying to benchmark against Bouchard, at least give it some time. Especially since Shapovalov's week is still going.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't know how you compare a year of Bouchard to one week of Shapovalov, even taking age into account. Yes, it's unprecedented and amazing, but if you are trying to benchmark against Bouchard, at least give it some time. Especially since Shapovalov's week is still going.

not sure why the two are even being compared? Shapovalov is a up an coming prospect. Is it bc they are Canadian? They literally have nothing to do with each other.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Should be a fun match against Zverev, who should be a decent favorite to win here. These two should have plenty of matchups in the future.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some takeaways from my two days at the Rogers Cup:

Who knew Sloane Stephens hit the ball that hard? After a pair of one-sided sets each way, the third set in her match against Lucie Safarova was an absolute war which Sloane won after saving several match points, 7-5. It was one of the best sets I have seen all year of pure slug-it-out tennis between two women that I have never considered power players (probably because of their adequate but not great service games). Every point seemed to go on for ages, and both players were throwing absolute heat at one another stroke after stroke. (I remembered that the last match that I had seen on the Grandstand court was Simon versus Robredo in 2014. In terms of consistent power from the baseline, the guys weren't even close).

Caroline Wozniacki, version 2.0, is for real. It's not like she has radically altered her game--the changes are more subtle than that. But she is playing more aggressively from the baseline, first serving with greater authority, taking the net more, for putaways anyway, playing tougher, smarter tennis, and showing real command of the court. Her three-set win over Pliskova yesterday was a model of pluck and perseverance. Hope she doesn't lose any more weight--though. to be fair, she has never been more fit or covered more court.

Perhaps wishful thinking but the day when women struggled to hold serve may be coming to an end. Saw surprisingly few service breaks over all in my two days of attendance.

Saw a lot of fine young players on the backcourts, and none of them were faves Kontaveit, Mladenovic or Ostapenko (almost--gasp--watched her in doubles, but then the rains finally came for real. Saved me from myself, the storm did). I think the future of women's tennis is exceptionally bright.

If you can, everybody go see live tournaments. It is a for more revealing sport in person than it is on TV.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
not sure why the two are even being compared? Shapovalov is a up an coming prospect. Is it bc they are Canadian? They literally have nothing to do with each other.

Canadian, as well as a cautionary tale of not getting hopes up are the two main reasons I'm guessing.

I get the desire to put brakes on expectations, as after all of this hype this week, there probably will be casual fans calling Shapovalov a bust when he doesn't win a major in the next year.

But, it's important to enjoy these runs while they happen. We've been lucky in Canada to see a number of youngsters come up the ranks.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If you can, everybody go see live tournaments. It is a for more revealing sport in person than it is on TV.

I have young kids, and took them to the qualifying rounds last weekend in Toronto. For anyone with kids that ever have that opportunity, I highly recommend it.

We took then more for the atmosphere, but when we did sit and watch for a bit, they actually paid attention. Watching on smaller courts where you're not far from the action makes it pretty exciting for the little ones. Spent more time with the various kids activities and stations set up than watching, and didn't stay long, but a good way to get kids exposed.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Canadian, as well as a cautionary tale of not getting hopes up are the two main reasons I'm guessing.

I get the desire to put brakes on expectations, as after all of this hype this week, there probably will be casual fans calling Shapovalov a bust when he doesn't win a major in the next year.

But, it's important to enjoy these runs while they happen. We've been lucky in Canada to see a number of youngsters come up the ranks.

Ya agree just enjoy the run this kid is on. I don't see any reason to compare anybody to anybody else. Its a indivudual sport and everyone is on their own path. Right now it's all about winning tonight

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tasty day coming up. Denis versus Alexander should be fun. And I'm really looking forward to Stephens/Wozniacki. After Denis, Sloane has had the most impressive run this week beating Kvitova, Kerber and Safarova. But Caroline is playing beautifully at the moment. Too close to call, though if I had to bet on one or the other, I'd take Wozniacki.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Shapovalov is now #67 on the ATP live ranking, and #38 for those under the age of 30. And Vasek Pospisil's six year reign as Canada's #2 has come to an end.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov is now #67 on the ATP live ranking, and #38 for those under the age of 30. And Vasek Pospisil's six year reign as Canada's #2 has come to an end.
Now we should all pause for a moment and consider what we accomplished this week. :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Stephens has obviously hit a wall today (figuratively speaking, though I guess you could say literally, too). Obviously suffering a letdown after her recent accomplishments this week, she is not being helped by a softballing Wozniacki who is forcing Sloane to generate all her own pace, 6-2, and no match at all so far.

2nd set: Six games into a horrible second set, Sloane seems to be finally finding her range, 3-3. Later: Guess the brief streak of incisive play by Sloane didn't last as Caroline closes by winning the last three games of the match.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I have young kids, and took them to the qualifying rounds last weekend in Toronto. For anyone with kids that ever have that opportunity, I highly recommend it.

We took then more for the atmosphere, but when we did sit and watch for a bit, they actually paid attention. Watching on smaller courts where you're not far from the action makes it pretty exciting for the little ones. Spent more time with the various kids activities and stations set up than watching, and didn't stay long, but a good way to get kids exposed.

Before I had this crazy job where I work tons in the summer, the qualies were the days I always went. Not only could you get up close to some good matches but you could also see the top players practicing if they were in town early. Way back when it was called the Canadian Open and was sponsored by cigarette companies, the women and men were all here and you could spend the day there, especially in early rounds, and see all the top players from both sides. I remember getting McEnroe's autograph in the early 80s.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't see Denis beating Alex, but you never know.

Did you think he's beat DP, Rafa and Mannarino? I would have been thrilled with the DP win and nothing more, and thought he'd lose in straights to Rafa with maybe a break down per set. Last night at 0-4 I figured I'd be switching to the Jays' game in half an hour.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Did you think he's beat DP, Rafa and Mannarino? I would have been thrilled with the DP win and nothing more, and thought he'd lose in straights to Rafa with maybe a break down per set. Last night at 0-4 I figured I'd be switching to the Jays' game in half an hour.

No, I didn't. I think Rafa was a shocking effect and Mannarino isn't a top quality player (we can debate about that). I think beating Alex today, in some ways, may be the most impressive thing

Regardless of the result today, he has had a great tournament. Unlike Milos, I can totally get behind Denis. He's got a solid overall game, and an exciting one to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have to go with Zverev, but they have never played against one another and that ads an unfamiliarity factor.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Before I had this crazy job where I work tons in the summer, the qualies were the days I always went. Not only could you get up close to some good matches but you could also see the top players practicing if they were in town early. Way back when it was called the Canadian Open and was sponsored by cigarette companies, the women and men were all here and you could spend the day there, especially in early rounds, and see all the top players from both sides. I remember getting McEnroe's autograph in the early 80s.

In the early 2000s, my boss had tournament seats in Montreal that our company would use for clients, and I'd always take the prelims. I love having multiple games to go watch and be able to be up close.

I also loved it when a Canadian managed to steal a match or even make it competitive and got the crowd behind them, but it was always few and far between. That's why I love the current state of Canadian tennis.

incineratorz

Jan 9, 2012
Not sure if denis is a futur top 10 or hes just having the week of his life.

Hopefully he makes it big and is not the next bouchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad