Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
So no matter what happens today Shapovalov will be playing in Vancouver and not Cincy. He was already committed to playing in Vancouver, so he can't pull out of Vancouver to then play in Cincy.

Bit of a shame, but a chance to get more experience at the Challenger level isn't a bad thing. I think he'll be a fixture at the bigger events soon enough.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Mannarino looks like he's wearing down. As long as Denis can avoid making too many errors, he's clearly the better talent here.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Mannarino looks done. There's nothing in his serve or his shots right now. He hasn't hit a winner this set yet.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What a story. Moves up to the high 60s in the live ranking, overtaking Pospisil as Canada's second highest ranked player.

Unreal for an 18 year old. It's amazing the fight the kid has. He seems to have a knack for dropping the first set but still pulling it out. That's a great quality for any athlete to have.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I wanna be cautious about predicting stardom for Shapovalov. But he is winning these matches despite the inconsistency and lack of a volley game typical of a teenager.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was having a great time in Toronto, once the drizzle stopped, watching two exciting three-set matches and the word from Montreal was that Denis got blown out 6-2 in the first. I thought, well, that was that. Then I got home. I do not believe this kid.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I wanna be cautious about predicting stardom for Shapovalov. But he is winning these matches despite the inconsistency and lack of a volley game typical of a teenager.

I agree. When Eugenie Bouchard went on her run (a couple of years back), she looked a lot better than how Denis is playing right now. I think we all thought for sure that Bouchard was destined to be a superstar and look how that turned out. :(

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I agree. When Eugenie Bouchard went on her run (a couple of years back), she looked a lot better than how Denis is playing right now. I think we all thought for sure that Bouchard was destined to be a superstar and look how that turned out. :(

I disagree that Eugenie looked better. She was older and didn't have all the tools Shapovalov has (relatively speaking of course). Shapovalov has everything (forehand, backhand, movement on court, composure, strong serve), well.. everything but a volley game. Eugenie never had a good serve, never could build her points. When she had success it was all about hitting the ball early as hard as possible and crossing fingers. Doesn't work against elite players.

Shapovalov beating Nadal this year when Nadal was ultra focused on trying to become #1 again (if he had won that game he was going to be #1 again) in a masters tournament is a greater feat than anything Eugenie has done IMO. He's the youngest player ever to get that far in a master tournament. And he had to beat Del Potro and Nadal to do it. It's pretty incredible what he has done.

Us canadians have been blessed with some amazing Tennis players compared to previous years.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

It happens a lot more often on the WTA circuit that a really young player impresses.

On the ATP circuit, it's rare, what Shapovalov is doing is really something incredible.

He's the youngest player to reach a Masters 1000 semifinal in the history of this sport! :amazed:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I disagree that Eugenie looked better. She was older and didn't have all the tools Shapovalov has (relatively speaking of course). Shapovalov has everything (forehand, backhand, movement on court, composure, strong serve), well.. everything but a volley game. Eugenie never had a good serve, never could build her points. When she had success it was all about hitting the ball early as hard as possible and crossing fingers. Doesn't work against elite players.

Eugenie was ranked as high as #5 in the world and made at least the SF in 3 different grand slams in 2014. Saying that it was "all about hitting the ball early as hard as possible and crossing fingers" is being a bit disingenuous. She clearly had a lot of talent.

Shapovalov should be so lucky if he ever gets a top-5 ranking in his lifetime. Not saying that he doesn't have the talent to do it, but when you're talking top-5 or even top-10, it takes more than just talent to get there and right now, it's too soon to tell if Denis has it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig