OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
"Within the system, the Islanders also own the rights to numerous potential stars. These players include fifth overall selection, and Memorial Cup champion, Michael Dal Colle, 28th overall forward Joshua Ho-Sang, and 2016 seventh round selection in defenseman David Quenneville. All three players played the 2017-18 season with the AHL affiliate Bridgeport Tigers."

giphy.webp
Yeah, I saw that too. "Don't feel bad Isles' fans: you still have MDC and Quennville."

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
There’s a fine line. I don’t want us chasing Tavares all over the ice on 2/28 (or 4/1), and suddenly we’re sitting there watching him bang in 3 power play goals or something...

7 years is a long time in the NHL. There will be an opportunity at some point to send a message cleanly- and with impact (e.g. netting us two points or a playoff win). I want us ready to capitalize on that chance when it comes- and really nothing else (other than becoming a better hockey club) in the interim...

Reactions: Eat The Rich

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
There’s a fine line. I don’t want us chasing Tavares all over the ice on 2/28 (or 4/1), and suddenly we’re sitting there watching him bang in 3 power play goals or something... 7 years is a long time in the NHL. There will be an opportunity at some point to send a message cleanly- and with impact (e.g. netting us two points or a playoff win). I want us ready to capitalize on that chance when it comes- and really nothing else (other than becoming a better hockey club) in the interim...

Spot on. Our goal is to win games, not to get back at Tavares. If they both go hand-in-hand then fine, but we shouldn't have players put themselves out of position or the play to get at him (which let's be honest would backfire on us in terms of an odd-man rush or a powerplay).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I wouldn't want to see Tavares injured for his decision I think that is just a few Islander fans frustrated and disgusted with the situation. I guess the question I would have for Leafs fans is if they now consider the Leafs, Tavare's team. Is he now the defacto franchise player for the Leafs? He's young enough and in his prime. Also does he embody the qualities and character as Captain material for the Leafs and what has he done to deserve that? Do you trust him? Would his teammates trust the words that come out of his mouth. We all know he inexplicably deserted the team that annointed him their franchise player for a frivolous pursuit, would you want him to be the face of your team given what you know about him now? For nine years he clearly faked his dedication and loyalty to the team that put him up on a pedestal. His mind apparently was always somewhere else. ( and how does someone actually do that? Most people outgrow their childhood fantasies and move on. How do you grow with a team and invest yourself in a team for 9 years and not develop a sense of loyalty to the only team you've known? That completely baffles me? Not that he left, but his complete disregard for loyalties. To be clear this was not a business decision for him, I would have respected that and understood that, but this was a decision based on a personal level that seems so superficial)

Reactions: MIK55

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Spot on. Our goal is to win games, not to get back at Tavares. If they both go hand-in-hand then fine, but we shouldn't have players put themselves out of position or the play to get at him (which let's be honest would backfire on us in terms of an odd-man rush or a powerplay).

I don't expect the boys to go out of their way and try to bury him or anything, but I do expect to see some messages sent. If that's a facewash after the whistle in a scrum or it's chirping him or it's finishing your check, the game should not be a cakewalk for him and he should be treated like any other opponent. I expect to see him with that scowl all night long. The crowd will be charged up, we are a proud fan base that feels slighted rightly or wrongly. I expect this team to be a pain to play against every night anyway, it should be status quo yet with a little extra whip cream and the cherry on top.

If he's allowed to skate pretty much untouched and there are no extracurricular activities, that would tell me a lot. I don't see that happening. If someone crosses the line and really runs him, that would tell me a lot too. I'm sure we'll all we watching with interest.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I don't expect the boys to go out of their way and try to bury him or anything, but I do expect to see some messages sent.

It's odd, but fans seem to care more about this stuff than players. Watch a loss after a big game and you'll see the players hugging and laughing with each other while the fans are angry. I don't think the players care that much about him, and they'll only care less with time.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
If I am a betting man, knowing Lou, the Isles will play with pride. They will make life difficult for Pajamas. The one way to beat the Leafs is to be hard on them, lay the body on by hitting them, they do not like contact. Make them think twice about touching the puck. Lou has always valued a physical component to his teams. I can see the Isle being fired up and hitting by Komarov, Martin, Clutterbuck will be high on that list of statements in this game.
Occurs to me that those new on the team who were not his teammates will be prepared to pound him. I will be very curious to see how those with whom he may have been close will react. May be a time to stack the lineup with players who have no connection to him.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Komorov is our only hope. The others will give him a hard check, but they aren't going to throttle him.
Sign Billy Smith to a one day contract, remind him how he treated the Great One at the first game of the 1983 Finals, and put him in for the first ten minutes of the game.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
I wouldn't want to see Tavares injured for his decision I think that is just a few Islander fans frustrated and disgusted with the situation. I guess the question I would have for Leafs fans is if they now consider the Leafs, Tavare's team. Is he now the defacto franchise player for the Leafs? He's young enough and in his prime. Also does he embody the qualities and character as Captain material for the Leafs and what has he done to deserve that? Do you trust him? Would his teammates trust the words that come out of his mouth. We all know he inexplicably deserted the team that annointed him their franchise player for a frivolous pursuit, would you want him to be the face of your team given what you know about him now? For nine years he clearly faked his dedication and loyalty to the team that put him up on a pedestal. His mind apparently was always somewhere else. ( and how does someone actually do that? Most people outgrow their childhood fantasies and move on. How do you grow with a team and invest yourself in a team for 9 years and not develop a sense of loyalty to the only team you've known? That completely baffles me? Not that he left, but his complete disregard for loyalties. To be clear this was not a business decision for him, I would have respected that and understood that, but this was a decision based on a personal level that seems so superficial)
The way the thing happened makes clear to me at least that Tavares lacked and continues to lack the maturity to wear the "C." The Leafs can do whatever the hell they want.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Would be wonderful if the isles were ahead of the the leafs in the standings and win the games heads up. I’d love to hear “we don’t miss you” or “ we don’t need you” chants raining down on him.

Reactions: isles309

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Would be wonderful if the isles were ahead of the the leafs in the standings and win the games heads up. I’d love to hear “we don’t miss you” or “ we don’t need you” chants raining down on him.

The Chant "Barzals better" is great too. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing "Austons better". There shouldn't be any "pajama boy" chants because he called himself one in the players tribune article.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's odd, but fans seem to care more about this stuff than players. Watch a loss after a big game and you'll see the players hugging and laughing with each other while the fans are angry. I don't think the players care that much about him, and they'll only care less with time.

I agree we should treat him like any other opponent and not go easy on him-and I don't think we will. This isn't Darcy Tucker in 2002 though.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012

I don't agree with this. Of course, they are friends and what not, but JT literally abandoned his team for 9 years to go to pursue his "childhood dream." If the Isles were coming off a playoff round win or if the Leafs stunk, he wouldn't go pursue this "dream." He basically spat on every current player's face and said you're not good enough to win, so I'm going to jump ship. I'm sure the players take it personally. How could they not?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I don't expect the boys to go out of their way and try to bury him or anything, but I do expect to see some messages sent. If that's a facewash after the whistle in a scrum or it's chirping him or it's finishing your check, the game should not be a cakewalk for him and he should be treated like any other opponent. I expect to see him with that scowl all night long. The crowd will be charged up, we are a proud fan base that feels slighted rightly or wrongly. I expect this team to be a pain to play against every night anyway, it should be status quo yet with a little extra whip cream and the cherry on top.

If he's allowed to skate pretty much untouched and there are no extracurricular activities, that would tell me a lot. I don't see that happening. If someone crosses the line and really runs him, that would tell me a lot too. I'm sure we'll all we watching with interest.

And when Tavares is hampered and harassed all game, especially when he doesn't get the calls he feels he should, he gets visibly agitated. Jawing at the refs, taking dumb stick swinging penalties, and the like. At that point the fans would really pour it on him.

That is truly what I would like to see on 2/29 and 4/1. Play within the game but frustrate the hell out of him.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
"Within the system, the Islanders also own the rights to numerous potential stars. These players include fifth overall selection, and Memorial Cup champion, Michael Dal Colle, 28th overall forward Joshua Ho-Sang, and 2016 seventh round selection in defenseman David Quenneville. All three players played the 2017-18 season with the AHL affiliate Bridgeport Tigers."

giphy.webp
Where Dal Colle will spend his entire Islander career!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dirk Digler meet your match. Great picture Well done. Seeing the thread title I thought this was music news about the 70's group Tavares. I totally forgot we used to have a player with that same name.

LGI

He decided to sport a haircut from the last time the Leafs won the Cup in order to break the curse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad