OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Subban on was my favorite and the only one that the player actually didn’t look stupid. Lol

Crosby's looked like a bad high school yearbook photo that they'd show on Conan O'brien.

Auston Matthews' looks like what Phil Kessel actually looks like in real life.

Reactions: SI90

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Couldn't post for a month. I will just say completely not surprised JT left, he let the ISLES.draft him despite the prior owner being a joke, because he had respect for the process. Wasn't into making wAves. Then he left, as part of the process, and was smart enough to not get dealt at the deadline for a rental and have two cities hating him. The year away from the playoffs this year may have cost him a cup. As a player I would of asked to be traded at the deadline for a cup run. Unless he was that worried about a injury. Or unless he really felt like he might return if they could acquire some players. Then he watched the draft and heard the ISLES sales pitch and realized it would be many years till the ISLES.can sign free agents besides 4th liners. Then he gave up mentally. Who knows. My summary is he did what he needed to do, and most would of done the same, and for all we know he didn't want to leave, and did it all for the nookie. A lot of men would.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Couldn't post for a month. I will just say completely not surprised JT left, he let the ISLES.draft him despite the prior owner being a joke, because he had respect for the process. Wasn't into making wAves. Then he left, as part of the process, and was smart enough to not get dealt at the deadline for a rental and have two cities hating him. The year away from the playoffs this year may have cost him a cup. As a player I would of asked to be traded at the deadline for a cup run. Unless he was that worried about a injury. Or unless he really felt like he might return if they could acquire some players. Then he watched the draft and heard the ISLES sales pitch and realized it would be many years till the ISLES.can sign free agents besides 4th liners. Then he gave up mentally. Who knows. My summary is he did what he needed to do, and most would of done the same, and for all we know he didn't want to leave, and did it all for the nookie. A lot of men would.
I doubt it was about nookie. I think PB has misjudged how harsh the local press will be when he goes into a slump.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
You should take another month-long vacation.

giphy.gif

Reactions: nyisles

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I thought you joined the Leafs' board...

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

aAron

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

If I start a go fund me and get you $20 will you leave for another month or more?

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Your claim that as a rental he would have had 2 teams hating him is completely wrong. If JT had let the Isles know he was probably going to leave when his contract expired, the Isles would have traded him and at least got something in return. Isles fans would probably have blamed ownership (not PJB), and the rental team's fans would certainly not have assumed PJB would sign at the end of the contract. So more then likely PJB would not have been hated by anyone and his return to Long Island would have been to cheers of appreciation instead of boos and lifelong hatred.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can we set up a giant tifo for the game on the 28th in the stands? Here's what I envision: 2 giant banners next to each other, the first reads:

Bossey
Trottier
Potvin
Smith
Gillies
Nystrom

WINNERS AND LEGENDS

The second would read:

Sittler
Clark
Sundin
Tucker
Tavares

LOSERS AND FAILURES

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Your claim that as a rental he would have had 2 teams hating him is completely wrong. If JT had let the Isles know he was probably going to leave when his contract expired, the Isles would have traded him and at least got something in return. Isles fans would probably have blamed ownership (not PJB), and the rental team's fans would certainly not have assumed PJB would sign at the end of the contract. So more then likely PJB would not have been hated by anyone and his return to Long Island would have been to cheers of appreciation instead of boos and lifelong hatred.

I'm honestly not so sure about that. Snow was on the hotseat and we all knew it (or at least knew he should have been). Trading away Tavares at the deadline helps the team in the long-term...but not the short term which is what Snow would have been concerned with for self preservation. He wouldn't have been around by the time the trade would have helped (if it would have helped). I think he would have kept Tavares (unless Tavares went public with it) to help minimize the chances of him getting canned. We know that he was fired in hindsight but look at the narrative that's floating around, Snow did manage to absolve himself of a lot of the blame of handling his most valuable asset.

Reactions: The Real JT

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
There was something genuinely there though.

Snow sucked, and I am as glad he is gone as I was once glad to support him getting a shot, but the guy seemed to have a desire to make the Isles relevant as much as saving his ass - if not more so.

He just sucked at it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There was something genuinely there though.

Snow sucked, and I am as glad he is gone as I was once glad to support him getting a shot, but the guy seemed to have a desire to make the Isles relevant as much as saving his ass - if not more so.

He just sucked at it.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY had an issue with the level of dedication Tavares showed this organization and the fans during his career here. The issue was and always will be how he left the team by lying to them.

My dad continuously told me when he didn't sign "he has been here since he was 18 and he needs more time to think about it? Something is up". Similar to how Bettman handled our arena situation for years I put my fingers in my ears and ignored the flaming fire around the team.

Either way this thread should be closed. Tavares was not the right captain for this team and now they have the most dynamic skater in the entire NHL. Leafs fans should know that sometimes it doesn't work out with stud players (Kessel era). Sometimes these guys aren't the right guys to lead the team. Tavares was not the guy to lead this team to the promised land.

When we drafted Tavares I remember McGuire saying something along the lines of "you can go into Pittsburgh now, you can go into Philly" and this is key because when we drafted Tavares the organization had nothing. Tavares was the promised land, and in some way I think as fans we looked at him as the key to winning the Cup. Luckily our key is still here and that key is Barzal.

Let the Leafs enjoy Tavares and his amazing production for about 3-4 years until they can't field a proper team because of that contract and the pending contracts for Matthews, Nylander, and Marner.

Snow sucked and is probably about half the reason Tavares left. Let's not kid ourselves though, Tavares had his mind set on going to the Leafs EVENTUALLY in his career. His heart was not and never was fully on Long Island. I've got nothing on him for wanting to go back home, but it stings to see it happen still. It stings because he was treated as a God here, and when that God leaves it is such a sting. We were more disappointed about that sting, rather than how that contract would've hurt this organization in about 3-4 seasons.

The Isles core is YOUNG, but Tavares was that one weird piece that survived from the original core. Snow drafted some quality players with this new core, it will be interesting to see how they fare with a true coaching staff.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
maybe he didnt ask for a trade but hoped his lack of interest in signing a deal before critical dates coupled with body language that screamed get me out of here would have dropped a heavy enough hint that he wasnt interested anymore .I watched his exit interview a month or so ago and he was saying all the right things but it almost seemed rehearsed and definately forced .

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
maybe he didnt ask for a trade but hoped his lack of interest in signing a deal before critical dates coupled with body language that screamed get me out of here would have dropped a heavy enough hint that he wasnt interested anymore .I watched his exit interview a month or so ago and he was saying all the right things but it almost seemed rehearsed and definately forced .

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He played 9 seasons here. He will play 7 in Toronto if not more after this contract. Cup or no cup he will choose the TML as his Hall of Fame sweater. His 91 should never hang in the rafters at Belmont, or Ronkonkoma, or Kansas City, or wherever we actually wind up. This is the first summer I won't even watch the Isles replay games on MSG. The only Tavares that matters is the 70's music group.
"Whodunit, who stole my baby. " come on you can sing along.

LGI

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He played 9 seasons here. He will play 7 in Toronto if not more after this contract. Cup or no cup he will choose the TML as his Hall of Fame sweater. His 91 should never hang in the rafters at Belmont, or Ronkonkoma, or Kansas City, or wherever we actually wind up. This is the first summer I won't even watch the Isles replay games on MSG. The only Tavares that matters is the 70's music group.
"Whodunit, who stole my baby. " come on you can sing along.

LGI

The HOF doesn't induct members as their teams. If he goes in he wouldn't go in as a Leaf or an Islander.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
His 91 should never hang in the rafters at Belmont, or Ronkonkoma, or Kansas City, or wherever we actually wind up.
You are only partially correct: His # 91 doesn't belong in the rafters, the REAL # 91 belonging to Butchie belongs in the rafters. The key final piece that led to the dynasty and the greatest team ever, not to mention as proud and loyal an Islander as there has ever been. He ALWAYS sticks up for this team and it's fans.

Reactions: MIK55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad