Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v12.0: Dozen Point Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The games I watched, Forsberg let in some back breaking goals, similar to Jake Allen for St. Louis when he was in the net. He was good for a stretch, then **** the bed late. Maybe that is what Courtney was referring to?

That’s what he’d do for the Hawks, make incredible, athletic saves, and then turn around and let in the easy ones that leave you scratching your head. Probably did the same thing down there.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Alty had one assist also with that goal. Playing in 3rd line.

Hoping for big year.

Kayumov also scored two goals against Novgorod. 2 goals in 2 games.

Dont sleep on those two.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I struggle with the following: who's the better prospect between a guy with an unlimited ceiling and high risk and a guy with a very good ceiling and lower risk. That encompasses the Boqvist vs Quinn Quinn Hughes debate and Dach vs Turcotte.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I struggle with the following: who's the better prospect between a guy with an unlimited ceiling and high risk and a guy with a very good ceiling and lower risk. That encompasses the Boqvist vs Quinn Quinn Hughes debate and Dach vs Turcotte.
Hughes > Boqvist

Still not sure how things will shake out between Turcotte and Dach. More upside and growth potential with Dach imo.

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. I don't think there's a definitive answer here.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Hughes > Boqvist

Still not sure how things will shake out between Turcotte and Dach. More upside and growth potential with Dach imo.

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. I don't think there's a definitive answer here.
I think that Boqvist has an unlimited ceiling for an offensive defenseman, but there are enough questions to question whether or not he will get there. I mean right now I get the Hughes>Boqvist sentiment but I think there's a decent chance that Boqvist ends up the better player.

I think there's an outside chance that Dach goes #1 in 2019 redrafts in 2024.

I think both might be later bloomers. They both ooze talent. Think of them like Yoan Moncada as a prospect, the early struggles, then the ascension to superstardom.

You look at Boqvist, Dach and Alex Nylander and you see what the Hawks look for in a skater. Skill, skill and more skill. I've seen all of them in person and they're all insanely talented. They don't seem to care as much about production. It could work for them, or it could end up biting them.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think that Boqvist has an unlimited ceiling for an offensive defenseman, but there are enough questions to question whether or not he will get there. I mean right now I get the Hughes>Boqvist sentiment but I think there's a decent chance that Boqvist ends up the better player.

I think there's an outside chance that Dach goes #1 in 2019 redrafts in 2024.

I think both might be later bloomers. They both ooze talent. Think of them like Yoan Moncada as a prospect, the early struggles, then the ascention to superstardom.
I think Boqvist maxes out as a Gus type player. Exceptional offensive prowess and can run the PP, but has defensive lapses and not someone you can reliably send out to PK. Hughes is smaller, but for me he's got higher IQ and might be the greatest skater I've ever seen.

Dach could end up the best player in the 2019 draft. There's not a high chance for that to happen, but I also wouldn't rule it out. Top guys in that draft were pretty close.

Reactions: Caldercanucks

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think Boqvist maxes out as a Gus type player. Exceptional offensive prowess and can run the PP, but has defensive lapses and not someone you can reliably send out to PK. Hughes is smaller, but for me he's got higher IQ and might be the greatest skater I've ever seen.

Dach could end up the best player in the 2019 draft. There's not a high chance for that to happen, but I also wouldn't rule it out. Top guys in that draft were pretty close.
I think Boqvist maxes out as an Erik Karlsson type player. Karlsson was bad defensively early in his career as well, but he was so offensively talented that it didn't matter. I do think that Boqvist is going to struggle defensively early but make a quantum leap around age 23-24. He thinks the game really well so I don't see how he can't take his offensive IQ and take it to his own end. It's going to take time though.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Boqvist maxes out as an Erik Karlsson type player. Karlsson was bad defensively early in his career as well, but he was so offensively talented that it didn't matter.
Maybe. I suppose it shouldn't be ruled out, I just haven't seen anything to suggest that yet. Though I don't remember EK as a prospect.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Maybe. I suppose it shouldn't be ruled out, I just haven't seen anything to suggest that yet. Though I don't remember EK as a prospect.
Nobody saw EK coming. He was picked 15 OA. A lot of criticism was that he should be a forward early in his career. He didn't start getting serious Norris consideration until he was 24 or so.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Boqvist maxes out as an Erik Karlsson type player. Karlsson was bad defensively early in his career as well, but he was so offensively talented that it didn't matter. I do think that Boqvist is going to struggle defensively early but make a quantum leap around age 23-24. He thinks the game really well so I don't see how he can't take his offensive IQ and take it to his own end. It's going to take time though.

This.

Maxes out as Gus? Come on Musto (or are you talking about the type of player).

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This.

Maxes out as Gus? Come on Musto (or are you talking about the type of player).
Let me backtrack a bit.

If we take a look at comparables in the NHL, you've got Erik Gustafsson, John Klingberg, and Erik Karlsson. All of these players have a similar style, but they vary in skill.

So imagine this is the spectrum:
Erik Gustafsson--->John Klingberg--->Erik Karlsson

Adam Boqvist could fit in anywhere along this spectrum depending on how he progresses. So if everything goes according to plan, he's EK. However as we know development isn't a linear path and things can happen along the way to deter progress. So although we'd love for everything to be perfect, that just doesn't always happen, meaning I think it's more likely that he lands in the Klingberg or even Gustafsson side of the spectrum. But as you mentioned, Karlsson probably didn't look like he'd project to be on the Karlsson end of the spectrum at the same age, so anything is possible. I just think we need to be open to the different possibilities, because he may or may not meet expectations.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Last year's Gus is a hell of a ceiling for any prospect too. Expecting only more, while possible, is setting the bar really really high.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Let me backtrack a bit.

If we take a look at comparables in the NHL, you've got Erik Gustafsson, John Klingberg, and Erik Karlsson. All of these players have a similar style, but they vary in skill.

So imagine this is the spectrum:
Erik Gustafsson--->John Klingberg--->Erik Karlsson

Adam Boqvist could fit in anywhere along this spectrum depending on how he progresses. So if everything goes according to plan, he's EK. However as we know development isn't a linear path and things can happen along the way to deter progress. So although we'd love for everything to be perfect, that just doesn't always happen, meaning I think it's more likely that he lands in the Klingberg or even Gustafsson side of the spectrum. But as you mentioned, Karlsson probably didn't look like he'd project to be on the Karlsson end of the spectrum at the same age, so anything is possible. I just think we need to be open to the different possibilities, because he may or may not meet expectations.

This makes more sense.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The Boqvist ceiling debate again? Can't wait to see how he does in the A. Same goes for a bunch of guys. Hogs should be good, hope King doesn't screw it up.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
hope King doesn't screw it up.
I'm slightly worried about this. Didn't like his comments from the tournament so far. Doesn't sound like a guy I'd trust our future with.

Wish they were able to get Don Granato to be the Rockford coach instead, but he got a job with Buffalo.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm slightly worried about this. Didn't like his comments from the tournament so far. Doesn't sound like a guy I'd trust our future with.

Wish they were able to get Don Granato to be the Rockford coach instead, but he got a job with Buffalo.

What has he said?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What has he said?
He said this about Dach yesterday:
“He’s a competitive guy, he wants to be the best guy on the ice all the time, and when he gets frustrated like that, it takes away from his game a little bit,” said Rockford coach Derek King, heading the Hawks’ team this weekend. “And that’s stuff he’ll learn as he gets older. You can maybe get away with it in the Western League. But at this level, that’s not going to help your game.”
“He’s used to … not dominating but pretty much doing what he wants out there in juniors,” King said. “But here, you’re playing against your peers and guys that are just as good, if not better. He’s a hell of a player. He just got a little off today.”
Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Of course I have no idea what went on in the locker room so maybe the comments were warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad