Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v12.0: Dozen Point Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So do I, but I thought that was injury related? I don't understand why the scouting community underrates Boqvist as a whole. What are they seeing that we're not?

Boqvist: I chalk it up to: Hawks bias, size/physical bias and in Pronman's case, anyway, he's has Quinn Hughes ahead of him, so he disproportionally dings his skating (which is a joke, as his skating is VVG (albeit not quite as good as Hughes')).

At the end of the day, none of this stuff (opinions) matters.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boqvist: I chalk it up to: Hawks bias, size/physical bias and in Pronman's case, anyway, he's has Quinn Hughes ahead of him, so he disproportionally dings his skating (which is a joke, as his skating is VVG (albeit not quite as good as Hughes')).

At the end of the day, none of this stuff (opinions) matters.

Pronman I think underrated Boqvist's skating because he liked Hughes more (which is fine) but his numbers would then not add up. The gap between Hughes and Boqvist in skating is much smaller than the gap between their shots where Boqvist's shot blows Hughes away.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I see that Maxim Shalunov started off his KHL season with a goal in game#1...I note that he is already 26 years old and will be 27 this January....such that after his KHL contract ends after this season,while Blackhawks hold his rights,I think it means he would be a free agent if they fail to sign him by some deadline (not sure if that is July 1st or a later date prior to start of the 2020/21 season...because does not the CBA provide that players over age 27 without contracts are free agents...since it has always been suggested Hawks retain his rights and thus could sign him after his KHL season ends for the next NHL season, this would seem to contradict the 27 age rule for free agency (the rule is age 27 or completed 8 seasons since signing an ELC ....whichever comes first)...I cannot remember if Shalunov signed an ELC or was just on a Rockford contract when he skipped out for the KHL and thus his rights retained by the Hawks...

In any case,the questions are:

1. Since there seems no room at the inn for him with the Hawks in 2020/21 as a Center.(perhaps as winger?)...the Hawks would likely be trading him while they retain his signing rights...because he likely will not sign with the Hawks just to be back in the AHL again..so either he signs for a sign and trade or he does not sign if I am correct that he becomes a ufa after some deadline date next summer...

2. If Hawks trade Saad ...it would open a winger spot and that could entice Shaluniv to sign with Chicago. HAWKS would realize that Saad would have only the 2020/21 season to play out to be a ufa...so it makes se se to trade him next summer ....because they do not want to raise him any more and $6.0 million currently is too high a cap hit for a 3rd liner getting only 50-55 points at best.

SO ...what do you think Hawks will do with Shalunov next summer:

.sign and trade?

.outright trade rights?

. Let him walk as ufa if he can get that status(if he signed ELC then he would need to complete it. .if he never did then he should be ufa after some deadline date for Hawks to sign hom)

. OR sign and use him IF they open a top 9 wing spot by trading Saad?

What do you all think happens with him?

P.S. IF NHLPA iota out of current CBA on Sept 15th,then possible part (maybe 30-40 games lost to season due to delayed start till they resume play after lock-out and new CBA deal done)..in that case Shalubiv probably signs in Swiss League with some our clause to join NHL at some point once they resume play in 2029/21 season..

So lots of angles to the Shaluniv issue.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
^Forget about Shalunov...not worth talking about a player who took the easy road for the money, rather than playing in the most challenging league in the world.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
^Forget about Shalunov...not worth talking about a player who took the easy road for the money, rather than playing in the most challenging league in the world.

The easy road? Come on.

He was not ready when he came over so he went home. It was the right move.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The easy road? Come on.

He was not ready when he came over so he went home. It was the right move.
He was drafted eight years ago. He has had multiple opportunities to come over the past 3-5 years now, and has chosen the safe, comfortable, easy path.

Stay in Russia. There are other prospects ready for the NHL who’ve paid their dues in/around the organization here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He was drafted eight years ago. He has had multiple opportunities to come over the past 3-5 years now, and has chosen the safe, comfortable, easy path.

Stay in Russia. There are other prospects ready for the NHL who’ve paid their dues in/around the organization here.
If he improves the team (which he would) why would you not want him to come over? Just because you think he took the easy road, doesn't mean the team should just cut bait with a player that would improve your team.

Reactions: bwana63

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

When he was drafted means nothing because all that matters is if he can help the team.

He has chosen to make the right choices for his career and if you are holding that against him I think you are just insane because he has made a lot more money in the KHL than the AHL, players only have so long to make money at the rate that they do.

Paying his dues? You mean like developing his game like he has so he can make it back to the NHL?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

You realize there’s more to things like this than just hockey right? These guys have their livelihood/families to think about too.

He diddnt really have multiple opportunities to come over. He had one where he diddnt have a contract in the KHL and chose to re-sign. I don’t think his initial KHL contract was for that much money and his new deal was going to send him to one of the richest teams in the KHL. Considering Shalunovs first stint in North America had him riding busses in the ECHL I don’t blame him one bit for choosing fininacal security for himself. I’ve seen so many careers get cut way too short in this game so I will never blame a guy for getting his while he can.

It’s easy to sit behind a computer screen and rag on someone for taking “the easy route” when it’s not a decision about your livelihood being made.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I'll definitely be paying attention to the goalie situation. I mean, I just love goalies. But I'm glad to watch both of them play instead of Kevin being benched for Forsberg. So I'll be popping in with updates for sure

Reactions: Any Colour You Like

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'll definitely be paying attention to the goalie situation. I mean, I just love goalies. But I'm glad to watch both of them play instead of Kevin being benched for Forsberg. So I'll be popping in with updates for sure

Forsberg was good in the Rock last year in the coaches defense plus KL was learning the NA game a bit.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean, he wasn't. But alright

I wouldn't call 15-17-1 good.

And yes the team wasn't good. But he didn't help
You're seriously using wins losses as an indicator of how well he did?

Tied for 3rd in the AHL with a 0.919sv%, but yeah, I guess that's not great.

And he was 15-15-2 on a .500 team.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
His numbers were good. He was not.
I know that doesn't sound like it makes much sense. I don't get it either.

It makes zero sense.

Forsberg was good and his numbers back that up.

Are you saying the team did not play as well in from of him? Because that can happen but you don't finish 3rd in the AHL in save percentage and not play well.

Delia averaged a shot less per game (random but interesting but it explains the GAA difference of .14).

Does the AHL publish advanced stats?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
The team didn't play well in front of him. But he was also just not good. Collin was bad at the end of the season too. Kevin deserved more starts.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Okay. Forsberg was good.....
How many games did y'all watch
Couple questions for ya that might help explain what you mean.. Do you think there were a fair share of games he lost on his own vs his guys giving up too many prime chances? Would he be solid but then give up untimely goals? Do you have an anti Forsberg bias?

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The games I watched, Forsberg let in some back breaking goals, similar to Jake Allen for St. Louis when he was in the net. He was good for a stretch, then shit the bed late. Maybe that is what Courtney was referring to?

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad