Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I really don't want to see Geno with Phil anymore, Geno is a minus 19, Phil is a minus 14, Geno needs wingers that are defensively responsible IMO.

I'd try Geno with Rust and Horny.

Depends who’s on the left side. If Malkin isn’t playing like an idiot it’s usually not too bad.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid just needs Guentzel and who is on his other wing is mostly immaterial. So given that, I'd experiment like crazy to find something that works with Malkin because we have to get him going if we're going to have success in the playoffs. As long as Sid has Guentzel though I think he can find another winger whether Rust or whoever that can fit there. It's not a huge concern.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Penguins trying out new looks on second, third lines

I’m excited if these lines hold and it’s not just because Sid is gone, but Rust with G has been my dream second line....

"Still, the Penguins showed some looks with Bryan Rust on the left side of the second line with Malkin and Phil Kessel"

giphy.gif

@Ogrezilla

I really don't want to see Geno with Phil anymore, Geno is a minus 19, Phil is a minus 14, Geno needs wingers that are defensively responsible IMO.

I'd argue Geno needs at least one really good defensive winger. Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel worked for a reason.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hey I hope it works. Now that Simon has given us a 4th RW worth playing in the top 9, I'm all for trying it

9NVp.gif

Now if we can just get JJ and Wilson out of the lineup, replace Brass with an actual 3C and get a top 6 LW who plays like Kunitz circa 2011, we might actually be on to something....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Now if we can just get JJ and Wilson out of the lineup, replace Brass with an actual 3C and get a top 6 LW who plays like Kunitz circa 2011, we might actually be on to something....
do people think it's reasonable to expect us to add a 2011 Kunitz? Those guys aren't just lying around.

Though hopefully Rust can give us something similar if he's in that spot, minus the big hits.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
do people think it's reasonable to expect us to add a 2011 Kunitz? Those guys aren't just lying around.

Though hopefully Rust can give us something similar if he's in that spot, minus the big hits.

Well, Ferland is still out there, and maybe Dzingel too...reasonable? Hell no, but JR might reel in a big fish...he’s done it before and won’t stop trying..I have no doubt he’s checking on Duchene too...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I guess Ferland could be something similar. I just think in general people really underrate how good Kunitz was here.

For as good as Kunitz was for bringing the other stuff you need to win, it was kind of strange how his offense seemed to dry up in the playoffs most years. 2009-10 is the only playoffs where his playoff totals were "top line" quality.

It's not really a criticism of him, since what he brought in other aspects was a big help in winning. Just kind of weird how much his goal scoring dried up in the playoffs.

Reactions: BHD

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. Rust is much better on Geno's RW than his LW.

2. Rust is my preferred option for Geno's RW.

3. Rust is the best available option for Geno's LW.

Ergo, I'm okay with Rust on Geno's LW with Phil or Horny.

I'd also prefer Rust on Geno's RW with a player like Ferland or Dzingel on the left side.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, Phil simply doesn't work with Brass...at all.
He goes with G or Sid because of that atm.
When G and Phil are up to par, they play like they did in ARI.
Add the Rust element on the left side and all 3 are up to par, then you may have something.

I'd get Wilson outta here and give Blandisi a spot in the lineup. He has nice speed and tenacity and you can chuck him out with your top 3 C's if you wanted here and there.

Or any kid on Wilkes really. Wilson is pointless. Bluegs, Blandisi, Angello, Dea, etc.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
For as good as Kunitz was for bringing the other stuff you need to win, it was kind of strange how his offense seemed to dry up in the playoffs most years. 2009-10 is the only playoffs where his playoff totals were "top line" quality.

It's not really a criticism of him, since what he brought in other aspects was a big help in winning. Just kind of weird how much his goal scoring dried up in the playoffs.

Let's be realistic here. Fire-breathing turtles are part of playoff hockey.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm dreading tonights game more than the game vs the Lightning lol. Devils just have our number. Tampa is a million times better but I have a weird sense of confidence like we can actually show up against them.

Reactions: Andy99

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Rust on his off side with Horny might be the least skilled pair of wings we can put out without involving Garrett Wilson. I can get looking askance at Geno with Phil, but not if that's the solution.

It's like people (and sometimes Sully) hates Geno

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm dreading tonights game more than the game vs the Lightning lol. Devils just have our number. Tampa is a million times better but I have a weird sense of confidence like we can actually show up against them.

No Taylor Hall will help though

Reactions: Pancakes

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
These games after a long break are always sloppy.

Their are usually lots of chances and lots of goals scored, its hard to predict who will win these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad