Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Exactly. Asisine, but I feel like from what we’ve heard this is there mindset. Hence why we see Wilson and ZAR.

ZAR is a rush job though. But I guess he's their exception atm, lord knows why.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
That’s because like last year our bottom six is a graveyard.
On paper, it's not, which makes this year more frustrating than last. Last year we knew we were going in to the season with shit. Now, we have Brassard, Rust, Simon, Sheahan, etc all there in what should be a decent if not good bottom six...and they're playing like shit.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
On paper, it's not, which makes this year more frustrating than last. Last year we knew we were going in to the season with ****. Now, we have Brassard, Rust, Simon, Sheahan, etc all there in what should be a decent if not good bottom six...and they're playing like ****.
Brassard isn't, but he's not getting much help. Rust needs to be better. Simon has been hot and cold. Sheahan, yeah. And then there are still 3 more guys in our bottom 6...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
And I thought that guy, in a pinch, would be Haggerty. Alas, he's goalless in 15 in Wilkes. Pretty disappointed. He had a very solid last season (best P/GP after Sprong), produced for us in training camp and earned a contract. Apparently he has no ****s left to give.
He was injured. When he came back, it took him a bit to get going again. He seems to be back on track now.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Maybe his corsi is good when he pinches a lot and is aggressive but conversely he gives up a lot of chances when he does that because he's out of position?

That's all I got.
As bad as our forwards have been at covering pinches this year, that sounds as good an explanation as any.

Reactions: Pancakes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hm. Seems like a good reason for retiring.
JMFJ will play the whole contract even if he is moved to the AHL, he needs that money.

The best situation for him is to have Brent Sopel type of injury with a cracker on the floor and LTIR the rest of his career.

We deserve a bad rash or bad back LTIR god damn it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The 2 pieces that are sort of redundant on this squad is JJ and Rig. No reason to have 2 of 'em on the same D-core.Now if you could get rid of one and find the next Cole to babysit the other, that'd be nice.

And they simply just gotta get more bang for their buck with Olli's money which equates to 5M or so in todays cap.

Ideally you get both and you're looking at:

Dumo-Tang
WayMoreConsistentMaatta-Schultz
TheNextCole-JJorRig
Riikola

Or that more consistent Maatta is a RD:

Dumo-Tang
TheNextCole-WayMoreConsistentMaatta
JJorRig-Schultz
Riikola

Anywho, thats how i'd go about things.
In the meantime, maybe Riikola can turn into one of those solutions.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Problem is that Rust is the LW I'd want with Brass and Kessel long term.
easily solved: get Sprong on Geno's RW, now you roll:
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson Geno Sprong
Rust Brass Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Wilson

this is how they should start tomorrow

instead:
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson geno Kessel
ZAR Brass Rust
Wilson Sheahan Sprong

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson Geno Sprong
Rust Brass Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Wilson

instead:
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson geno Kessel
ZAR Brass Rust
Wilson Sheahan Sprong

I wouldn’t break up the top 6 right now. Not to start the game anyway.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson Geno Sprong
Rust Brass Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Wilson

instead:
Jake Sid Simon
Pearson geno Kessel
ZAR Brass Rust
Wilson Sheahan Sprong

Not sure where Sprong should be slotting in, but given that Horny is out and Rust is struggling, its maddening that he isn't being tried somewhere in the top 9. When you are struggling to keep your head above water though, it's not so easy to take risks on unproven players.

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pretty much expected though. Top 6 looked great and the top 4 D was good too.
Top 3 looked great, Geno's line was meh...Geno spends most of his time in our zone, fighting on the wall, trying to get the puck out of the zone, they are terrible on forecheck, both geno and Phil are notorius flybyers, Pearson is not fast enough to slow down the competition. Unless they play infront of 58 and 8 who can hold the blue line and NZ they have zero chance of any sustained game...they are still dangerous on occasional breakouts, counterattacks, but they are few far between. I feel geno would be a beast if he got someone who can help on forecheck

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Top 3 looked great, Geno's line was meh...Geno spends most of his time in our zone, fighting on the wall, trying to get the puck out of the zone, they are terrible on forecheck, both geno and Phil are notorius flybyers, Pearson is not fast enough to slow down the competition. Unless they play infront of 58 and 8 who can hold the blue line and NZ they have zero chance of any sustained game...they are still dangerous on occasional breakouts, counterattacks, but they are few far between. I feel geno would be a beast if he got someone who can help on forecheck

Agree...G misses Hags on that line and the line doesn’t generate enough sustained O zone possession....I’ve never liked G and Phil together...IMO Sully should try Pearson-G-Rust

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agree...G misses Hags on that line and the line doesn’t generate enough sustained O zone possession....I’ve never liked G and Phil together...IMO Sully should try Pearson-G-Rust

I feel like that's the next place to go if Malkin-Kessel continues being a little ho-hum, but my god it would be easier if Rust would score a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad