Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Ruhwedel to W-B/S for Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
....and if you want to make three decent lines then move Kessel to third with Brass, get Rust with Geno and pray that someone clicks on that LW3line, fourth line at this point is non existent and I can't see anything good from bunch of Grants, Wilsons, Sheahans, etc...

Problem is that Rust is the LW I'd want with Brass and Kessel long term.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
if Horny can go back with Sid, I'd try Simon at LW with Brass and Kessel.

Then Rust needs to be with Sid or Geno, or we need to find another wing. Or Sprong obviously.

I could live with Simon-Brassard-Kessel getting a shot.

Also I really like Rust with Brassard. Really do. I think Brassard likes playing alongside buzzsaws and I think they've got good chemistry. Just ideally needs a more handsy winger than Rust on the line.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think this team needs another legit top-9 LWer, and I'm not sold on Simon being a legit top-9 player. Is Simon an actual top-9 player or just someone who fits well with Crosby? I'm not sure we have an answer to that yet.

Simon has been pretty disappointing when not with Crosby this year. People criticized Sheary as being solely a product of Crosby, I'm not sure Simon actually isn't that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I could live with Simon-Brassard-Kessel getting a shot.

Also I really like Rust with Brassard. Really do. I think Brassard likes playing alongside buzzsaws and I think they've got good chemistry. Just ideally needs a more handsy winger than Rust on the line.
yeah, sadly we don't really have a spare one of those at LW. Simon is again the best option, assuming we aren't splitting up Jake and Sid.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
When Horny comes back, here is the lineup I wish we'd see. Emphasis on wish.

Jake Sid Horny
TP Geno Phil
Simon Brass Sprong
DiPauli Blueger Rust
RS

You could swap Simon and DiPauli but I think this line might help get Rusty out of his funk.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm curious if JR even sees the defense as one of the issues. His fixes seem to be focused on the forwards (not that I'm complaining), but does he also see upgrading the defense as a priority?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
yeah, sadly we don't really have a spare one of those at LW. Simon is again the best option, assuming we aren't splitting up Jake and Sid.

Yup.

I'd be kinda curious to see Blueger or Johnson get a chance in such a role based on limited viewings, but I know I'm wishing for a lot there.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I still think this team needs another legit top-9 LWer, and I'm not sold on Simon being a legit top-9 player. Is Simon an actual top-9 player or just someone who fits well with Crosby? I'm not sure we have an answer to that yet.

Simon has been pretty disappointing when not with Crosby this year. People criticized Sheary as being solely a product of Crosby, I'm not sure Simon actually isn't that.

He has still produced. 5 points away from Sid, 6 points with Sid. Had some good games with Brassard and some average ones. It doesn’t help that everyone else in the bottom 6 sans Brass hasn’t been great. He’s actually a ‘safe’ player who can produce at the moment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has still produced. 5 points away from Sid, 6 points with Sid. Had some good games with Brassard and some average ones. It doesn’t help that everyone else in the bottom 6 sans Brass hasn’t been great. He’s actually a ‘safe’ player who can produce at the moment.

The problem is that like 4 of those points away from Crosby came in the first couple games on the season. He had 4 points in the first 8 games without Crosby, but has only 1 point (and has only been on the ice for 1 goal) in 14 games since the Calgary game away from Crosby.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The problem is that like 4 of those points away from Crosby came in the first couple games on the season. He had 4 points in the first 8 games without Crosby, but has only 1 point (and has only been on the ice for 1 goal) in 14 games since the Calgary game away from Crosby.
he definitely went cold. I'd be curious to see him tried somewhere else when Horny comes back if he's still playing well.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He still looks alright for the most part and his lines don’t get scored on much. He’s not a driver of a line and he’s more set up guy, puck retriever than a guy who puts it in the net. That’s the problem because no one in the bottom 6 can get a goal.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yup.

I'd be kinda curious to see Blueger or Johnson get a chance in such a role based on limited viewings, but I know I'm wishing for a lot there.
Johnson would be exactly what we need for 3LW. I really hope he pans out.

ETA I just noticed that he has the worst +/- on the team, so take from that what you will. He hasn't had a great start and I think DiPauli has produced more than him thus far. So that, in addition to him needing to get stronger, makes me think he isn't on the short list of call ups right now.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yup.

I don’t know how they don’t try it if we keep losing, but if we keep losing we are out of the playoff picture.

I think it is obvious this org feels super awkward about how they treated Pouliot.

Which is dumb.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t know how they don’t try it if we keep losing, but if we keep losing we are out of the playoff picture.

I think it is obvious this org feels super awkward about how they treated Pouliot.

Which is dumb.

I'm being dumb - how is the Pouliot thing connected here?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s been cited time and time again the org feels they “rushed him”.

So you're saying that Blueger/Johnson/etc.etc. not getting a chance right now is built out of a desire not to rush them, maybe not pitch them into a bad environment for their first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad