OT: All Purpose NCAA Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
LA is such a crappy sports town sans the Lakers. There's like 10k at the Rose Bowl. :thumbd:

I just can't get over the fact that they have three NFL teams there, even if one of them is temporary. Everyone knows that it is the second-worst football town in the country (after St. Louis), it always has been. I didn't listen to the follow-up story, but on a news tease here the other night, they go "Could St. Louis be home to a third NFL franchise? How does 'St. Louis Chargers' sound?" It's a ****ing mess. And they are building billion-dollar stadiums to house these mobile franchises :laugh:

My favorite thing to remind people about the NFL: the Vikings went to four of the first 11 Super Bowls and haven't been back since then - since they moved indoors. They have no home-field advantage. Compare that to the Packers and how opponents do in that weather. I am rambling a little now, but I just woke up lol.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale - the Deadspin tweet, if that rustled your jimmies, so be it, to each their own. Regarding the candidate running, he brought a lawsuit against the NCAA concerning the $60m PSU paid staying in state under PA control, instead of being funneled through Indy/NCAA. That the Paternos went a step further and sued the NCAA at the same time is separate. But the Paternos lawsuit, ontop of the State of PA, is why the wins were restored, which really isn't the point, unless you were rooting for the NCAA. Sue Paterno isn't the living embodiment of PSU, she's a widow to a PSU legend. It makes sense that she defend her husband, but let's also remember Joe Paterno didn't commit any crimes, he was cleared by the PA DA. And the now in place rules dictated by the NCAA match the actions Joe Paterno took back then.
But hey, PSU is in the middle of the state, the (overall) institution matriculating the vast majority of college grads here. But we're disliked by Philly, and Pittsburgh, and I guess random others too. For better or worse, we're used to it. We're not even liked in our conference, there's probably something to it. Best of luck in your fandom.

It was the reaction of a subsection of the fans more than the video, honestly. Sue Paterno was married to Joe for decades. Of course she thinks the world of him and what he did with his life. What she did was tone deaf to me, but quite frankly it doesn't matter if I think that because I don't vote in that area.

YMMV but from my experience, a significant percentage of the base still takes all of that as an attack on the football team and holds up Paterno as this kind, gentle old soul. I can't get beyond that to be happy for the many, many logical fans they have. He was a fraud before the whole deal and he always will be.

I do like Franklin quite a bit! I made a habit of catching a decent amount of Vandy because it was so novel to see them be good. :laugh:

Last edited:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
It was the reaction of a subsection of the fans more than the video, honestly. Sue Paterno was married to Joe for decades. Of course she thinks the world of him and what he did with his life. What she did was tone deaf to me, but quite frankly it doesn't matter if I think that because I don't vote in that area.

YMMV but from my experience, a significant percentage of the base still takes all of that as an attack on the football team and holds up Paterno as this kind, gentle old soul. I can't get beyond that to be happy for the many, many logical fans they have. He was a fraud before the whole deal and he always will be.

I do like Franklin quite a bit! I made a habit of catching a decent amount of Vandy because it was so novel to see them be good. :laugh:
I walked on at Delaware many moons ago and one of my roommates had a buddy that played at Penn State. I heard more than a few stories about how if a guy on scholarship wasn't producing Paterno would ride them endlessly to get them to quit the team.

Paterno did a lot of good things but this legend of him is over blown. With that said the way he was treated by the Board of Trusties was crappy.

Reactions: Ruck Over

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It was probably harder to process kids back then because everything was so slowed down with roster turnover.

Now a days coaches are getting fired within 2-3 years, players are leaving for the NFL earlier, etc. so it’s more of a true best man plays type of situation regardless of class. There’s some shady stuff these days like with medical situations being exaggerated but they’re on the small scale. A coach doesn’t really have to do as much pushing these days as kids know where they stand on the depth chart. If you’re a third year guy & not even on the two deep you got a decision to make as far as football goes because you don’t have much of a future at your current school.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
It was probably harder to process kids back then because everything was so slowed down with roster turnover.

Now a days coaches are getting fired within 2-3 years, players are leaving for the NFL earlier, etc. so it’s more of a true best man plays type of situation regardless of class. There’s some shady stuff these days like with medical situations being exaggerated but they’re on the small scale. A coach doesn’t really have to do as much pushing these days as kids know where they stand on the depth chart. If you’re a third year guy & not even on the two deep you got a decision to make as far as football goes because you don’t have much of a future at your current school.
Oh I agree 100%. I can't fault him but was just pointing out that his saint like image was a little exaggerated.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Damn it I knew I should have picked Nebby. I live in Nebraska and I let my dislike of the Huskers cloud my judgement.

Reactions: Asnito

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It was interesting that during the broadcast that Herbstriet intimated that there was more for OSU to worry about than the score of the Purdue game. Meyer might well be losing his grip. The mess with the coach before the season, losing a quality QB in Burrow to LSU; Bosa getting hurt and then essentially quitting the team and then getting obliterated by Purdue in the way that they did clearly shows that the wheels aren't all on the road in Columbus. Meyer isn't getting paid the big bucks to be embarrassed like Saturday night in Lafayette or last season against Iowa. I'm sure that the Buckeyes will roll the rest of their opponents until the Michigan game but if they lose that one, Urban's heart may fail him again.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Oh I agree 100%. I can't fault him but was just pointing out that his saint like image was a little exaggerated.
It’s a great modern day example of the impact of media propaganda and its lasting effects. Tell people a guy is a saint for 20-30 years and even when other evidence to the contrary arises, there will be those who will still believe the propaganda.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Games of the week
  1. Texas Tech @ Iowa State
  2. Purdue @ Michigan State
  3. Florida @ Georgia (neutral site)
  4. Iowa @ Penn State
  5. USF @ Houston
  6. Illinois @ Maryland
  7. Kentucky @ Missouri
  8. Washington State @ Stanford
  9. Texas A&M @ Miss State
  10. NC State @ Syracuse
  11. Tennessee @ South Carolina
  12. Texas @ OK State

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
My Picks
  1. ISU
  2. Purdue
  3. Georgia
  4. Iowa
  5. Houston
  6. Maryland
  7. Kentucky
  8. Wazzou
  9. Texas A&M
  10. Syracuse
  11. South Carolina
  12. Texas

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Iowa St.
Michigan State
Georgia
Penn State
USF (Houston's "I SUCKA DICKA" basketball team from the 80s can ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*** right off)
Maryland
MIZZOU!
Stanford
A&M
NC State
Tennessee
Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events