OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They do, mostly in conference play. Teams like Alabama and OSU aren't going to play top 25 programs every week. Plus, it's not exactly a bad deal for a lot of these mid-majors to take a pounding from the power schools. They usually get a pretty large 6 figure check cut to them for coming out. That can go a long way in helping to build a smaller program.

Hell some times you see these teams win (Florida/Georgia Southern, PSU/Ohio, Michigan/Appy St, etc.) or at least give teams scares/tougher games than expected. :laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
To be fair PSU left a ton of points on the board in that game as well for mainly the same reasons (penalties, the one INT, poor play calling/coaching, poor execution, etc.).

It was an ugly game around by both teams, neither one really wanted to win until the PSU final drive. The only really consistent bright spots in that game was both teams D-Line's/front seven IMO.

Rutgers mistakes/failed capitalization on chances were far more prevalent. Their defense played very well and did a good job getting to Hackenberg, and even their DBs who generally aren't very good played pretty well with the exception of like two big plays. At the end of the day, Rutgers defense should have won them the game, but Gary Nova, Ralph Friedgen, and Kyle Flood snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rutgers mistakes/failed capitalization on chances were far more prevalent. Their defense played very well and did a good job getting to Hackenberg, and even their DBs who generally aren't very good played pretty well with the exception of like two big plays. At the end of the day, Rutgers defense should have won them the game, but Gary Nova, Ralph Friedgen, and Kyle Flood snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Meh, PSU never really capitalized off Nova's INT's. Their red zone offense is garbage & has been in the other two games as well.

Rutgers defense even slowed down in the second half. PSU went for 250+ yards of total offense with a very predicable offense since they couldn't run the ball thanks to the terrible o-line.

I still stick to my statement that neither team played well & both we're doing their best to give to game away to the other team.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
One reason is money. These smaller schools get paid to basically be an automatic win for the larger schools. Also, the talent gap due to recruiting is also large. In the NFL you get the best players so the talent level between teams is very little.

yeah many times some of these 1-AA schools get more money from that one game against a 1-A program than the rest of the season combined. you are talking 500k-750k sometimes. that is a big chunk of change for a some 1-AA schools.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
A few days later, but how terrible is Rutgers' QB. Jesus.

Real bad.

Terrible. This may have been the first time a lot of folks saw Gary Nova, but I've lived with him as QB for years now. It's always the same. The next game is the game where he puts it all together. He's been the starter pretty much all four years he's been at RU. He has 45 career INTs to his 57 TDs. The kid can throw and make plays, but he is so incredibly inaccurate at times, and makes the absolute worst decisions at the absolute worst time (on a consistent basis). I am counting down the days until he graduates and Hayden Rettig can step in.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Should definitely be a win for Penn State this weekend. They play at home against 0-4 Massachusetts,4pm on the Big Ten Network.

Oregon are back on National TV again which means I get to watch them. At Washington State on ESPN at 10:30pm. :yo:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd like to give him a try at Corner at the next level- the position he played at Georgia.

Yeah no doubt he's a good athlete & should get a shot in the NFL on that alone.

They should win double digit games this year but when it comes to the big dogs who have the athletes & the coaching I'm not too sure they can get too far with Marshall not being much of a threat to stretch the ball down field with his arm.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ugh. Nothing worse than losing the first game of a three team parlay on a thursday night game, especially by one point. They almost "accidentally" scored a TD on that last drive with that deep ball that pretty much ended the game. I thought he was going to break it and they'd cover. Thanks for nothing, Auburn.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Jameis Winston benched for the entire game tomorrow.

Hopefully this will get through to him, being benched against probably FSU's biggest opponent of the season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jameis Winston benched for the entire game tomorrow.

Hopefully this will get through to him, being benched against probably FSU's biggest opponent of the season.

Kids a major league idiot who can't keep himself out of the news but with that said I think this one is a little excessive. I guess some public scrutiny made them go the distance with the full game. I was reading on a college football message board yesterday that the call came from above & not from Jimbo.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Kids a major league idiot who can't keep himself out of the news but with that said I think this one is a little excessive. I guess some public scrutiny made them go the distance with the full game. I was reading on a college football message board yesterday that the call came from above & not from Jimbo.

I think the benching has more to do with all of the issues than this one isolated incident. After all of the things he's been involved with this is the first disciplinary action against him I believe.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the benching has more to do with all of the issues than this one isolated incident. After all of the things he's been involved with this is the first disciplinary action against him I believe.

It is but they should have drawn the line before this if that was the case.

He claims he wants to stay to get his degree but I can't see anyone with a brian advising him to skip turning pro this spring.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rumor going around that Winston met with the University President about the situation & was found to be untruthful about it. They're apparently pretty pissed off at Winston & more action might be taken.

If any validity to this rumor I'll change my stance on it being excessive to understanding where they're coming from with the punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad