OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I get what you are saying... these kids did get screwed that they went to PSU but they had the full option to go elsewhere.

It's a little easier said than done though. The majority of these kids were acclimated there so it's not as simple as packing your bags & leaving town.

Most of these kids likely had reasons that went beyond football for staying there.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It's a little easier said than done though. The majority of these kids were acclimated there so it's not as simple as packing your bags & leaving town.

Most of these kids likely had reasons that went beyond football for staying there.

No I totally agree, I am not saying that it's an easy transition. But I am saying that if they were really so terribly impacted based on the football program losing bowl bans, they did have the option to move.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I was under the impression they waived that for this, I thought I read that the rules were changed for the players affected. If that's not the case, then that is terrible

I think they did for the PSU players who committed. I was talking about other incidents. I think the thing with Reggie Bush for example came out years after he left and the players were punished for it.
did the higher ups at USC lose jobs or money? nope.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think they did for the PSU players who committed. I was talking about other incidents. I think the thing with Reggie Bush for example came out years after he left and the players were punished for it.
did the higher ups at USC lose jobs or money? nope.

Nah it was open season for PSU, any kid on the current roster or enrolling class for that year was allowed to leave without sitting out.

When USC had their sanctions I believe it was any player that was on campus 3 or more years was allowed to leave without sitting out (I don't believe many left though).

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
If I'm looking to get into college ball, how do you recommend I start? I don't really have a team, I went to Miami of Ohio and the games are neither televised, nor would I watch that poor product, as I didn't really when I went there.

Start by watching ranked teams play each other. It's the best combination you'll get of talented players with college's best coaches (meaning "good" offensive and defensive structures).

Ranked teams versus unranked teams usually leads to dominating scorelines, though ranked team vesrus ranked team games are not immune to this.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
So because it's impossible to get everyone involved it's OK to just punish the football players and fans? That makes no sense. Neither of those two groups is responsible for preventing this, responsible for the action itself, or responsible for covering it up, and yet their the ones being punished the most for multiple other peoples serious mistakes. Someone benefiting from corruption isn't the same thing as being a part of it, especially if they don't even know that they're benefiting.

That's what I keep saying, the people in charge are responsible for what happens on the team. What happened was their fault because of covering it up or being ignorant of it, but either way it's on them. So those are the people that need deserve to be punished. The guys playing on the football team had nothing to do with it, like I said above benefiting from the cover-up isn't the same thing as being a part of it and it's not enough to deserve punishment. If PSU only forced him to retire and let him continue to use the facilities then whoever was responsible for that should be punished.

The way I see it, this is what's happening here.

675cf8760fe4919718db47cbc57efc04.gif

Nope. It's hitting them where it hurts. Players can always transfer. Young players can choose not to go there etc. Sucks for the fans but they can deal with it considering the team is run by people who did some despicable things.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Nope. It's hitting them where it hurts. Players can always transfer. Young players can choose not to go there etc. Sucks for the fans but they can deal with it considering the team is run by people who did some despicable things.

nope. hitting them where it hurts would be firing the clowns who were responsible for the stuff that got them in trouble. not punishing the players who had little to nothing to do with the crap. players can transfer. sure. but quite a bit of the time they have to sit out a year. that is not as easy as you make it out to be.
so a school does stupid **** and the idiots with their 4 and 5 figure incomes get to keep their jobs. yup. that sounds perfectly fair:shakehead

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I like you :).

I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but a win on Saturday would be huge for their playoff hopes. The rest of their schedule is pretty cupcake by SEC standards. At Mizzou and home to Auburn are the only tough ones left on the schedule. No LSU, Bama, A&M or Ole' Miss this year outside of a possible SEC Championship game matchup. They even get UT at home. No reason for them not to come out of the East.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
nope. hitting them where it hurts would be firing the clowns who were responsible for the stuff that got them in trouble. not punishing the players who had little to nothing to do with the crap. players can transfer. sure. but quite a bit of the time they have to sit out a year. that is not as easy as you make it out to be.
so a school does stupid **** and the idiots with their 4 and 5 figure incomes get to keep their jobs. yup. that sounds perfectly fair:shakehead

But this type of punishment acts as a deterrent. You want to be in charge at an NCAA school, you better ****ing keep an eye on your program and make sure they don't do anything like this ever again. That means report every single thing that you think might have maybe seen to avoid getting in this situation. More oversight is a good thing. It sucks that the fans and students have to "suffer" through not having scholarships and bowl games, it really does. But you know what else sucks? Having a school and sports program turn a blind to things out of fear of hurting its own reputation. And when you are the higher ups like these guys were, you were the school and you were the sports programs. When the actions are coming from the people with the most power, they are acting on behalf of the university, the football program, the fans, and the students. The NCAA had to make a statement that says DO NOT **** UP OR ELSE.

Otherwise it says, Ok, the AD, the Provost (or whatever), and Joe Pa get canned, but only if they get caught. Nothing more. Make your money. Do what you do. Make money for the school. Only report things if you absolutely have to because if you can cover it up long enough it doesn't matter. By then, it is ten years later and you're retiring soon anyway. You get canned and the next guy takes over and covers up the next scandal.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

I'm sure they don't know exactly who was involved. Also NCAA can't effect any of that, all they can do is punish the school's football team it's not like they have the power to fire anyone at PSU. Again, I don't see anything wrong with what they did considering what the people in charge at PSU most likely did.

But this type of punishment acts as a deterrent. You want to be in charge at an NCAA school, you better ****ing keep an eye on your program and make sure they don't do anything like this ever again. That means report every single thing that you think might have maybe seen to avoid getting in this situation. More oversight is a good thing. It sucks that the fans and students have to "suffer" through not having scholarships and bowl games, it really does. But you know what else sucks? Having a school and sports program turn a blind to things out of fear of hurting its own reputation. And when you are the higher ups like these guys were, you were the school and you were the sports programs. When the actions are coming from the people with the most power, they are acting on behalf of the university, the football program, the fans, and the students. The NCAA had to make a statement that says DO NOT **** UP OR ELSE.

Otherwise it says, Ok, the AD, the Provost (or whatever), and Joe Pa get canned, but only if they get caught. Nothing more. Make your money. Do what you do. Make money for the school. Only report things if you absolutely have to because if you can cover it up long enough it doesn't matter. By then, it is ten years later and you're retiring soon anyway. You get canned and the next guy takes over and covers up the next scandal.

This too. QFT

Last edited:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Stanford or VT always have pretty good defenses, and most of their games are televised nationally.

I'm like you. I went to a CUSA school and the quality of football really doesn't come close to the power conferences. I root for my school to do well and I still try to go to games when I can get tickets, but it's rather boring unless I've been tailgaiting for a couple of hours beforehand.

I like UGA, but that's mostly due to my GF's family following Georgia football like a religion.

Where did you go?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Where did you go?

ODU. We're the new kids on the block in the conference, but I have to say that I'm pretty impressed that they went from a brand new program (excluding their program from 50+ years ago) to an FBS conference in only five years.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Who is pumped for Rutgers vs. Penn State this weekend? Just scored a parking pass on craigslist. RU-Rah-Rah! RU-Rah-Rah! Hoo-Rah! Hoo-Rah! Rutgers Rah!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ODU. We're the new kids on the block in the conference, but I have to say that I'm pretty impressed that they went from a brand new program (excluding their program from 50+ years ago) to an FBS conference in only five years.

I think they have potential to be a pretty good mid-major down the road. Virginia is becoming one of the top states in the country when it comes high school football prospects. They have a legitimate claim for being the top state in northeast for that regard. The Virginia Beach area is the biggest hot bed area in the state. Now the top kids will still go to VT, Virginia, or out of state but the depth behind them are still very good options for a program like ODU.

Who is pumped for Rutgers vs. Penn State this weekend? Just scored a parking pass on craigslist. RU-Rah-Rah! RU-Rah-Rah! Hoo-Rah! Hoo-Rah! Rutgers Rah!

Nova's the key to the game in my opinion. PSU's likely to stack the box a lot to contain James so he should get opportunities to throw the ball plus PSU is likely to start a true freshmen opposite side of Jordan Lucas & they already had a true freshmen playing the nickel for them. Their weakest link on defense is at the free safety position, the kid isn't athletic enough to be player in coverage. Come seasons end they could be starting another true freshmen there as well. So if Nova doesn't implode this game like he tends to normally do it could very well be a good game & one that Rutgers pulls out with W.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think they have potential to be a pretty good mid-major down the road. Virginia is becoming one of the top states in the country when it comes high school football prospects. They have a legitimate claim for being the top state in northeast for that regard. The Virginia Beach area is the biggest hot bed area in the state. Now the top kids will still go to VT, Virginia, or out of state but the depth behind them are still very good options for a program like ODU.

You hit the nail right on the head. Hampton Roads produces an incredible amount of football talent, so they don't have to venture all over to find recruits that are willing to come to Norfolk. Obviously the Harvins and Vicks of the area are still going to go a power conference school, but even getting just a fraction of the talent to stay home will give them a leg up on a lot of the other mid-major programs.

I just hope Bobby Wilder doesn't bolt when a big time school inevitably comes calling. He's been nothing short of fantastic since arriving at ODU.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You hit the nail right on the head. Hampton Roads produces an incredible amount of football talent, so they don't have to venture all over to find recruits that are willing to come to Norfolk. Obviously the Harvins and Vicks of the area are still going to go a power conference school, but even getting just a fraction of the talent to stay home will give them a leg up on a lot of the other mid-major programs.

I just hope Bobby Wilder doesn't bolt when a big time school inevitably comes calling. He's been nothing short of fantastic since arriving at ODU.

Virginia is quietly stacked in football talent. The high school up the street from me was ranked 5th in the country a couple weeks ago.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Nova's the key to the game in my opinion. PSU's likely to stack the box a lot to contain James so he should get opportunities to throw the ball plus PSU is likely to start a true freshmen opposite side of Jordan Lucas & they already had a true freshmen playing the nickel for them. Their weakest link on defense is at the free safety position, the kid isn't athletic enough to be player in coverage. Come seasons end they could be starting another true freshmen there as well. So if Nova doesn't implode this game like he tends to normally do it could very well be a good game & one that Rutgers pulls out with W.

The key is going to be getting off to a hot start. I anticipate the crowd being insane, and RU players being fired up. If the crowd gets taken out early by an INT or early PSU touchdown...it will be trouble. Nova needs to stay calm and find Leonte Carroo. The two have unbelievable chemistry when Nova doesn't have the hot foot. James (and Peoples) will be a good decoy to get Carroo some deep balls with the safeties creeping in. I said in the beginning of the year, if they only win one game this year, I want it to be this one. I bought season tickets just to ensure I would be at this game.

I'll be there. Didn't realize the game was at 8. Oh boy.

Gonna be a fun day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille