OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he turns pro and the soccer thing doesn't work out, he can come back and play college football too.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Their schedule is sooo bad. Best team they play is Rice.

The game at Akron won't exactly be a walk in the park. There are also some other quietly tough games in there as well.

Agreed, Akron won't be a pushover and neither will Ohio this week. MTSU and Rice both upset us last season, so there will be a degree of revenge there but we'll have to be careful.

Some of the close games this season for CUSA and the MAC so far, it should strengthen the schedule numbers. UTSA beating Arizona and a couple of those MAC wins last week would have been GREAT to add to the mix, but I'll be happy with what we have.

Realistically Marshall should run the table, get into a good (potentially VERY good) bowl game; and if he picks up his play, Cato could be in the Heisman running.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rumors going around that Harrisburg native & potential first round draft choice this spring Noah Spence might be done at OSU.

He is/was slated to comeback this week from his suspension for failing a drug test.

It has been confirmed that he failed another drug test & will be suspended indefinitely.

I would imagine he's done for the year since he appealed the last one down from a year to a three game suspension by claiming someone spiked his drink with Molly (pure ecstasy).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Baylor wants it they could hang 80+ points on Buffalo tonight. Their backups are in still getting turnovers on defense & quick scores on offense with about almost a full quarter left in the game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lane-Kiffin.jpg

Someone hacked Bama's official website & changed Kiffin's bio. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
VT looks hungover from the OSU game, 20-0 ECU almost towards the end of the 1st quarter.

UMass up 14-0 on Vandy after 1, Derek Mason making a strong case for being a one & done coach this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, last week should have been a typical VT choke after gaining the lead, looks like they've just delayed our disappointment until today. We shall see.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a very un-VT VT team. Between holding on to win last week and tying it up late today, this team is doing things it normally doesn't do often, much less back to back. ECU has too much time to earn a FG though.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
VT looks hungover from the OSU game, 20-0 ECU almost towards the end of the 1st quarter.

UMass up 14-0 on Vandy after 1, Derek Mason making a strong case for being a one & done coach this year.
UMass kicker missed a 22 yarder to tie the game with 1 second left.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Eh, I wouldn't consider this loss a choke, personally, but I get that many others will. I've had this game pegged as a loss since week 1; I was expecting 2 losses in a row, ECU is a team that sneaks up on VT, nearly got them last year too. I'm really happy with Loefler's offense now that they have a QB who doesn't get worse over time. They made the game interesting, whereas a couple years ago under Stinespring this would've been more than a 7 point loss and would have been a soul-grinding, frustrating thing to watch as he created 3 and outs while trying to make an unworkable thing work.

It's a shame they wasted several years of good talent under Stinespring. They chiefly won games despite his horrible gameplans and playcalling, forcing idiotic calls to work through athleticism. This youngish group looks like it's got some potential though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
UMass kicker missed a 22 yarder to tie the game with 1 second left.

Vandy only has two winnable games left on the schedule IMO & I'm not sure I would call them slam dunks (Charlotte Southern & Old Dominion). A loss to UMass would have been ugly.

I honestly don't think they win a game in SEC play this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Proud of my Nittany Lions. Great win.

Every win is going to be a dogfight this year but I'll take them as they come. The O-Line's been brutal but they're young & inexperienced so hopefully a short term pain long term gain scenario because there is some raw talent there with Nelson, Mahon, & Gaia.

I really like the true freshmen CB Grant Haley, he reminds me of Brandon Boykin a little.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Every win is going to be a dogfight this year but I'll take them as they come. The O-Line's been brutal but they're young & inexperienced so hopefully a short term pain long term gain scenario because there is some raw talent there with Nelson, Mahon, & Gaia.

I really like the true freshmen CB Grant Haley, he reminds me of Brandon Boykin a little.
Yeah I agree with that. I don't follow the team as closely as I did when I went there but I figured 7 wins or so for this season. I'm really enjoy watching Lewis do well especially since he's from my hometown. He used to play QB and slaughter the other teams in the area. He might have a future as an NFL wideout. He has the size and speed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Any chance PSU is ranked after this week? I don't follow college football closely

Doubtful, I don't think the top 25 will change much this upcoming week in terms of teams in & out. Louisville (21) will likely be out (Virginia the team that beat them will likely take their spot) & maybe Virginia Tech (17) but that's probably about it.

PSU isn't a top 25 caliber team anyway at least not at this juncture.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I honestly can't watch college football.

I can't follow a sport where a 66-3 score is commonplace.

Why dont these dominant teams play equally talented squads instead of bums?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

One reason is money. These smaller schools get paid to basically be an automatic win for the larger schools. Also, the talent gap due to recruiting is also large. In the NFL you get the best players so the talent level between teams is very little.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

They do, mostly in conference play. Teams like Alabama and OSU aren't going to play top 25 programs every week. Plus, it's not exactly a bad deal for a lot of these mid-majors to take a pounding from the power schools. They usually get a pretty large 6 figure check cut to them for coming out. That can go a long way in helping to build a smaller program.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wow, what a downer of a game last night (from an RU fan perspective, anyway). I thought it would be a shootout slobberknocker and the last team with the ball would win. My prediction before the game was 40-35 PSU. Rutgers blew it last night. Flood pulled an Andy Reid. Leading most of the game but not giving it to the running back, who is also their best player. Instead, letting a terrible, turnover-prone quarter throw the ball constantly, even on first down with less than ten minutes to go and the lead, leading to a terrible interception.

Great atmosphere at the stadium, poor execution on Flood/Friedgen/Nova's part.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
USC's run defense was swiss cheese

edit: and Penn State's offensive line needs to get better. From what I saw of the game, Hackenberg was under pressure a lot. He's 6th in the country in passing yards but the 5 INT's isn't good.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, what a downer of a game last night (from an RU fan perspective, anyway). I thought it would be a shootout slobberknocker and the last team with the ball would win. My prediction before the game was 40-35 PSU. Rutgers blew it last night. Flood pulled an Andy Reid. Leading most of the game but not giving it to the running back, who is also their best player. Instead, letting a terrible, turnover-prone quarter throw the ball constantly, even on first down with less than ten minutes to go and the lead, leading to a terrible interception.

Great atmosphere at the stadium, poor execution on Flood/Friedgen/Nova's part.

To be fair PSU left a ton of points on the board in that game as well for mainly the same reasons (penalties, the one INT, poor play calling/coaching, poor execution, etc.).

It was an ugly game around by both teams, neither one really wanted to win until the PSU final drive. The only really consistent bright spots in that game was both teams D-Line's/front seven IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad