OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
B1G football for you.

Haha. As opposed to what? Outside of the SEC East what conferences play more than three or four good teams per year? Every conference has their duds, and every school (for the most part) schedules a few average or below teams.

Missouri plays only three or four good teams. Typical SEC West football for you.

TCU plays only two or three good teams. Typical Big 12 football for you.

Oregon only plays three or four good teams. Typical Pac-12 football for you.

UNC only plays two or three good teams. Typical ACC football for you.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Haha. As opposed to what? Outside of the SEC East what conferences play more than three or four good teams per year? Every conference has their duds, and every school (for the most part) schedules a few average or below teams.

Missouri plays only three or four good teams. Typical SEC West football for you.

TCU plays only two or three good teams. Typical Big 12 football for you.

Oregon only plays three or four good teams. Typical Pac-12 football for you.

UNC only plays two or three good teams. Typical ACC football for you.
Missouri is in the SEC East.

It's not just the top end teams. Even the bad teams in the other power conferences would smoke the bad B1G teams.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The B1G is gonna need Michigan & PSU to start putting out teams that match their resources. They also need MSU to continue their success. It will change the perception of the league but it still will be very top heavy.

PSU about to whoop that ass this season. Hackenberg should bounce back huge.

Still need that LT spot sured up, Paris Palmer still hasn't grabbed it yet at camp. WR & TE come back a year older plus Adam Breneman will be back which was a huge loss last year. RB's are young but more talented than Zwinak & Belton, true freshmen Saquon Barkley (Mr. Football in PA last year) is apparently tearing it up at camp & very well could play behind Akeel Lynch. Defense will still be the driving force behind the team though, wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Zettel takes the B1G Defensive Player of the Year over Joey Bosa this year.

Even their non-conference schedule features noted powers SDSU and Buffalo.

Their AD two AD's ago really did a bad job with the schedule which you're seeing now. SDSU was actually a replacement for Rutgers who was originally scheduled for an OCC game but with them joining the B1G opened the date up.

A rumor was floating around not too long ago that they were in talks with Georgia for a series.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Missouri is in the SEC East.

Oops, I was thinking the East was the one with Bama, Ole Miss, etc. Same idea though.

It's not just the top end teams. Even the bad teams in the other power conferences would smoke the bad B1G teams.

That is a pretty broad generalization. While it is certainly possible that some bad B1G teams would lose to bad other power conference teams, the "bad" teams that played other "bad" power conference teams didn't do all that bad last year and I don't expect this year to be much different.

Rutgers beat Washington State on the road (plays them again this year and Kansas as well so we'll see how they fare)
Maryland beat Syracuse
Indiana beat Mizzou on the road
Northwestern lost by a TD to Cal
Michigan lost to the Utes (who were a decent team last year)
MSU lost to Oregon in Oregon
Nebraska beat Miami
OSU lost to Va. Tech
Wisconsin lost to LSU by less than a TD
Iowa lost by 4 to ISU and beat Pitt
Minnesota got smoked by TCU
PSU didn't play anyone

Looking at that, I'd say the "bad" teams did about as good as you could hope. The good teams didn't fare as well as you would like, but OSU wound up as a national champion and Wisconsin and MSU went on to have pretty solid seasons.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
AP Preseaon Poll:
http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2015/1

First time ever that Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, & Texas have been unranked all at the same time in the AP Preseason Poll.

No real beef with this poll. I still think UGA is overrated and who the **** gave Michigan 2 votes for the top 25? They were terrible last year and aside from a new coach (which I think everyone is way too excited about) I don't think much has changed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No real beef with this poll. I still think UGA is overrated and who the **** gave Michigan 2 votes for the top 25? They were terrible last year and aside from a new coach (which I think everyone is way too excited about) I don't think much has changed.

Utah will likely beat them convincingly in week one so they'll drop out completely. I still think they finish 3rd or 4th in the B1G East come seasons end though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Baker Mayfield beat out Trevor Knight for the Starting QB position at Oklahoma. He was a transfer from Texas Tech where he won the Starting QB job there as a true freshmen walk-on. So he's a pretty good story.

It's looking like the Pac-12 could have three true freshmen QB's starting this year. Josh Rosen (top QB recruit in the country) at UCLA, Jake Browning at Washington, & Seth Collins at Oregon State.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I really like Mayfield. He's a better fit for what Oklahoma wants to do this year. Wonder if Katy Perry still wants Trevor Knight now? :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Redshirt Junior Alec Morris rumored to be in the driver's seat for the Starting QB job at Alabama. Redshirt Sophomore Cooper Batemen appears to be his only real challenger at this point.

FSU Sophomore RB Dalvin Cook is acquitted of battery charges.

JHG

Jan 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Temple I think is still gonna need to be one of those teams that builds an older roster to truly compete so they have some rough or average years in between. I also don't know how long their current coach Matt Rhule will be there, if they have a good season he might start gaining interest elsewhere.

His wife is a dietitian at Temple. Even when he was working with the Giants, she stayed in Philly and at Temple. Coach just signed an extension. Don't count on him leaving anytime soon.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Next Thursday needs to get here quick. I'm sick of College Football Live talking about Sarkasian getting hammered drunk at a school event.

I love Sark haha.

It came out today that while with Washington he tried to expense a $500+ bar tab that included 40 Patron shots.

I also like that he went to the team after the school function and asked for them to give him a punishment. They told him to do up-downs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I love Sark haha.

It came out today that while with Washington he tried to expense a $500+ bar tab that included 40 Patron shots.

I also like that he went to the team after the school function and asked for them to give him a punishment. They told him to do up-downs.

They really have nothing to report right now with most camps being shut out to the media so they're making a mountain out of an ant hill to fill time.

It was stupid & he should hear an ear full for it by his superiors but that's basically it. Mac Brown pretty much said the samething & Andre Ward (along with the rest of the panel) was having none of it he wanted Sark suspended.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
NCAA doing it big, as per usual.

Jake Olson, who was, if you remember, one of the kids on ESPN's Make A Wish a few years back when Pete Carroll was still at USC. He had a rare form of cancer that lead to him being blind.

Fast forward to now and Olson is looking to walk onto the USC Football team as a long snapper but the NCAA has spent the last several months deliberating if participating in Make A Wish is a impermissible benefit.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
NCAA doing it big, as per usual.

Jake Olson, who was, if you remember, one of the kids on ESPN's Make A Wish a few years back when Pete Carroll was still at USC. He had a rare form of cancer that lead to him being blind.

Fast forward to now and Olson is looking to walk onto the USC Football team as a long snapper but the NCAA has spent the last several months deliberating if participating in Make A Wish is a impermissible benefit.

Wow, what a bunch of dirtbags.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
I'm a Florida fan who supports the lcal team-Temple, that's why I mentioned those two. :laugh: Temple should be good. Hopefully Walker rebounds. He took a step back last year. Can't wait for the opener.

Cutcliffe has done a great job of developing talent at Duke.

Wow, never thought I'd run into another temple fan on a message board for hockey. I think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year...and actually beat penn state in the opener! Every penn state fan I've met seems to overlook temple, but they are a different team then they were 5 years ago, even 1 year ago. I can't wait to head down to the linc the 5th and watch them show everyone that they aren't the same old temple everyone is used too.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Wow, never thought I'd run into another temple fan on a message board for hockey. I think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year...and actually beat penn state in the opener! Every penn state fan I've met seems to overlook temple, but they are a different team then they were 5 years ago, even 1 year ago. I can't wait to head down to the linc the 5th and watch them show everyone that they aren't the same old temple everyone is used too.

Penn state is about 4 times better this year than last. Its going to be another crushing defeat. Especially since PSU takes over the Linc so Temple has zero home field advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad