OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread (2014-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oregon ranked at 5 :scared:

I don't think it holds up. I think they're in for a little regression this season, should be good enough to stick in the 25 come season's end though.

I think the Pac-12 beats each other up this year & misses out on a representative in the playoff. There's some tiers with USC, Oregon, & Stanford likely at the top but I don't really see any team head & shoulders better than the field there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
ACC - VT
B1G - MSU
Big 12 - Baylor
PAC 12 - USC (but Stanford/Oregon also would not surprise me at all)
SEC - I really want to pick Tennessee to win win, but I think they win the East but lose to Alabama

1. Alabama vs 4. VT
2. MSU vs. 3. USC

1. Bama vs. 3. MSU

1. MSU - National Champion

A bit out there, but I think Connor Cook is the best QB in the country and that MSU is going to go undefeated (except they may lose to Rutgers).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ACC - VT
B1G - MSU
Big 12 - Baylor
SEC - I really want to pick Tennessee to win win, but I think they win the East but lose to Alabama

1. Alabama vs 4. VT
2. MSU vs. 3. USC

1. Bama vs. 3. MSU

A bit out there, but I think Connor Cook is the best QB in the country and that MSU is going to go undefeated (except they may lose to Rutgers).

You went full homer there.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
ACC - VT
B1G - MSU
Big 12 - Baylor

1. Alabama vs 4. VT
2. MSU vs. 3. USC

1. Bama vs. 3. MSU

VT is going to need a series of miracles to come out of the ACC, even with their cupcake schedule (outside of the Ohio State game).

The B1G will come down to that game to the MSU/OSU game in Columbus. I just don't see MSU coming away with that one. I think OSU will actually run the table. Their schedule is silly easy.

I think Tennessee is still a year away from being a serious contender in the East. They'll scare a lot of people this year though, imo.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You went full homer there.

Yeah that was totally a joke.

VT is going to need a series of miracles to come out of the ACC, even with their cupcake schedule (outside of the Ohio State game).

The B1G will come down to that game to the MSU/OSU game in Columbus. I just don't see MSU coming away with that one. I think OSU will actually run the table. Their schedule is silly easy.

I think Tennessee is still a year away from being a serious contender in the East. They'll scare a lot of people this year though, imo.

VT is a sleeper I think. Just a shot in the dark. I agree they'll need a miracle...but that's why they play the games!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
VT is a sleeper I think. Just a shot in the dark. I agree they'll need a miracle...but that's why they play the games!

Yeah, I wouldn't them winning the ACC title, as I've always had a soft spot for them (went to college in Virginia). I just don't see it happening. I'm sure our resident Tech grad could offer more insight, but to me, they just don't have the athletes to match up with teams like FSU or Clemson. And Beamer ball hasn't exactly closed the gap lately like it did in the past.

I will say though, **** Georgia Tech and their annoying triple option.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've actually seen some media members pick VT for the ACC this year (didn't have them in the playoff though). I guess the logic is that they have a weak conference schedule & they're banking on Clemson continuing to be an underachiever.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Early indications are that a couple of true freshmen from the area are going to see some good playing time this year at PSU. CB John Reid (St. Joes Prep - Philadelphia, PA), WR Juwan Johnson (Glassboro HS - Glassboro, NJ), & DE Ryan Buchholz (Great Valley HS - Malvern, PA). All these guys were 4 stars out of high with the first two being Army All-Americans.

True sophomore TE Mike Gesicki (Southern Regional HS - Manahawkin, NJ) should see a much more expanded role as well as he put on 20+ lbs. (now 6'6" 250+ lbs.) & improved in blocking. He came in raw as he didn't really line up as a TE in high school & was really lanky with his big frame but still played as a true freshmen. Apparently has made good strides all around in spring & summer camps.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Temple has a pretty older roster in general, at this point in the season media members value that a lot.

Duke on the other hand is actually bringing in some good talent & could be a team that annually competes in the ACC going forward. They've strung together a couple good seasons as of late & I think it will continue.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Not too long ago Duke and Temple were the two worst teams out there. Happy to see them build the programs back up from rock bottom.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Duke also.
I'm a Florida fan who supports the lcal team-Temple, that's why I mentioned those two. :laugh: Temple should be good. Hopefully Walker rebounds. He took a step back last year. Can't wait for the opener.

Cutcliffe has done a great job of developing talent at Duke.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not too long ago Duke and Temple were the two worst teams out there. Happy to see them build the programs back up from rock bottom.

Temple I think is still gonna need to be one of those teams that builds an older roster to truly compete so they have some rough or average years in between. I also don't know how long their current coach Matt Rhule will be there, if they have a good season he might start gaining interest elsewhere.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I also don't know how long their current coach Matt Rhule will be there, if they have a good season he might start gaining interest elsewhere.
Which I never thought would happen after seeing his first year. It just seemed like the job was a bit too big for him. They've taken a big step since then.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
USA Today Top 128:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-alabama-auburn-baylor-boise-state/31820541/

Author's buying into VT possibly winning the ACC. It won't be pretty but I do agree it's certainly feasible.

These rankings are a joke. Rutgers twenty spots behind Temple? I know I am probably biased but Rutgers is returning possibly the best WR in the Big Ten, a trio of high-end running backs, an All American DL (in addition to a freshman All American from last year). They won 8 games last year (could have easily been 9) and should be right in that ballpark again this year. They have an inexperienced roster but their key players and their best players are all returning. Their defensive backfield was awful last season and they have some high-end freshman coming in that will likely see a lot of playing time, along with (hopefully) improved returning players. A solid LB corps and DL corps should help put pressure on the opposing QB.

Their biggest question mark is at QB, with either Hayden Rettig (a highly touted recruit that transferred from LSU) or Chris Laviano, they should have at least someone with talent. Whether either can make an impact is anyone's guess, but with the ups and downs of Gary Nova, I welcome whatever either one brings. The O-Line I think is replacing two or three starters from last year too, but Rutgers has always been able to field a solid O-Line in recent years.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
To continue my rant, I just looked at Temple's schedule from last year and saw that they won 6 games. They played three common opponents last season (Tulane, PSU, and Navy). Rutgers blew out Tulane and beat Navy by a TD. Rutgers lost to PSU in an ugly, ugly game by three points. Temple lost to Navy by a TD, beat Tulane by a TD, and got blown out by PSU. I know Rutgers has had a lot of turnover and Temple is largely the same team, but the same ****** team is still a ****** team.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad