Speculation: All Purpose LA Kings 2013-14 Trade Speculation/Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Same here. Zero interest in Gagner, zero interest in Vanek.

Guys I'd be targeting would be Perron, Grabner, Bailey. All better fits on the Kings than Gagner or Vanek would be and the price tag is likely lower for all of them.

I want erik cole

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I understand that Muzzin makes rookie mistakes, and that he has lots of potential, but those excuses don't give you top line time. I like Mitchell on the top d line; safe, sound, secure, primary goal is defense. But DS has said before that he can't keep WM on the top line because he is too old to handle those kind of minutes. So its a question of left handed youth, and between JM and AM, I choose Martinez. And more my point is that if we had to choose who to trade, Muzzin or Martinez, I'd choose Muzzin.

I also want to say that i don't think martinez has been given a fair shake had better minutes. In 2011-12, he was pushed down to third paring because of the left handed depth (scuderi, mitchell, and for a while JMFJ). last year he was pushed down because he was having a terrible season. but this year he is definitely more sound, but is is being marginalized because of conceptions from previous years.

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010
I still don't understand why anyone would trade martinez over muzzin. One might argue muzzin has slightly more offensive upside, but marginally. Martinez is still the superior defensemen, as well as having a killing break out pass. Also, martinez doesn't drop grenades, muzzin does all the time. I'm sure if slotted in the top spot, martinez would be able to do just as well as muzzin does. also, he's left handed. If he was right handed, I would understand, but in my mind martinez is superior to muzzin in almost every way.

Martinez has reached his level. He's basically polishing and improving within his level.

Muzzin is younger and has higher levels to reach. He is just starting his pro development. In two or three years, people will see a much stronger, skilled, and smarter D with excellent offensive instincts, a great shot, and a huge reach. We will be happy.

GKG!!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I guess it speaks volumes about what the under-estimated loss of Rob Scuderi has done to throw the balance of the defense pairings out of order.

I think everyone was aware of what the completely estimated loss of Scuderi would do.

The Kings have been playing with out of order defensive pairings since Game 6 against NJ.

12-13: Mitchell doesn't play at all last year. Greene plays 5 of 48 games. Martinez was hurt over in Europe and never really got into a groove. Ellerby was brought in. Muzzin was playing his first extended minutes in the league. Regehr brought in at the deadline to ease the burden on an older Scuderi.

13-14: No Scuderi. Ellerby leaves. An older Mitchell coming back after a long time between NHL games. Greene has missed half the season. Voynov is having a so-so year at best. Muzzin still has growing pains. Martinez is again in and out of the lineup for various reasons.

On top of that, Quick was hurt last year, and this year.

I guess there's a cosmic price to pay for a team that had their top 6 defensemen, and only those 6 defensemen, play all 20 playoff games on their road to a championship.

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010
The big changes to our D core also explain why the offensive side is suffering. We have no solid first pass up the ice and the offense is therefore spread out to far from each other and the D.

We'd be a lot better off with a healthy Greene, Mitchell, and Scuderi. That's a pretty solid shut down D1-3 side for your team. They could also punish opponents which limits offense ability to be creative.

We're just going through growing pains as we transition to younger players.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm starting to think prices just to high and Kings are just staying put to after trade freeze.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I want erik cole

I'd hope if the Kings had to settle for an older player that Chimera and Cole would be the first couple names brought up. The guys I listed are ones I'd like to see here for a couple years or more. Cole or Chimera would work great as a stop gap for this year maybe next.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Agree on the Chimera thought. I brought him up in an earlier thread. I think he could be an ideal addition to this team.

He has a pretty friendly contract over the next 2 years. Can provide some nice depth in the top 9 on the left side. Good skater, big body, can chip in with some offense and can kill pk's.

Would the Caps move him? dunno. But I would give them a shout and inquire before march 5th.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Agree on the Chimera thought. I brought him up in an earlier thread. I think he could be an ideal addition to this team.

He has a pretty friendly contract over the next 2 years. Can provide some nice depth in the top 9 on the left side. Good skater, big body, can chip in with some offense and can kill pk's.

Would the Caps move him? dunno. But I would give them a shout and inquire before march 5th.

Chimera just signed an extension prior to this year did he not? If so I doubt they move him. Would be a good fit though

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Chimera just signed an extension prior to this year did he not? If so I doubt they move him. Would be a good fit though

Yeah, I think he did, he's at 2 million for the next 2 years.

I would still make a call. McPhee doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh wow...now this IS funny...a middle school kid that loves the Kings, names several favorite players...and names only one player he doesn't like. LOL.

Attachments

• Bf5FqAhCQAAsjWd.jpg
    Bf5FqAhCQAAsjWd.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 52

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
@DennisTFP: "@deaderhead28: @DennisTFP So all Kings trade talks done?"as far as I know. Looking at Mar 5 now

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Martinez is not being punished due to last year's performance. That concept is silly. No coach would do that. If that was the case he would not be on the team. Say what you will about Sutter, he is a professional coach that wins and cares about winning.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Quoted for truth -- but let's be honest, even if he were still here, he wouldn't have been the 2012 Scuderi, and the Kings would be even harder against the cap... I think we're also seeing Greene and Mitchell not be who they used to be, magnifying the loss.

To be fair to Scuderi his minutes were increased by almost 4 minutes per game from the previous seasons. He was being double-shifted on the PK and at even strength as well -- skating with both Doughty and Voynov.

For the ice time per game to increase by that much is logging a ton of minutes. I think some of the uncharacteristic slide in his play could be attributed to just wearing down physically after being ridden so hard by Sutter.

I understand that Muzzin makes rookie mistakes, and that he has lots of potential, but those excuses don't give you top line time. I like Mitchell on the top d line; safe, sound, secure, primary goal is defense. But DS has said before that he can't keep WM on the top line because he is too old to handle those kind of minutes. So its a question of left handed youth, and between JM and AM, I choose Martinez. And more my point is that if we had to choose who to trade, Muzzin or Martinez, I'd choose Muzzin.

Just look at the left-handed options though.

Regehr was struggling for a good chunk of the season and was getting eaten up when paired with Doughty. They've decreased his minutes and his play has picked up.

Willie Mitchell has *not* been pre-injury Willie Mitchell. The puck isn't being moved quick enough, he's not taking the extra skating stride to get it out, and even puck clearance has been an issue. He's 36 and coming off of a devastating (almost career ending) knee injury and it's really showing this year.

That San Jose game where he decided to cut in front of Quick, lost the puck, couldn't catch or angle off the Sharks player, and the game winning goal gets scored kind of painted the picture of where he's at for me. I think physically he just can't do what he wants to.

I think everyone was aware of what the completely estimated loss of Scuderi would do.

Might have to just agree to disagree on that point. From my recollection, there were people claiming that with Regehr on the roster, and Mitchell coming back, it wasn't going to be that big of an issue since Scuderi was "done" at that point.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The big changes to our D core also explain why the offensive side is suffering. We have no solid first pass up the ice and the offense is therefore spread out to far from each other and the D.

We'd be a lot better off with a healthy Greene, Mitchell, and Scuderi. That's a pretty solid shut down D1-3 side for your team. They could also punish opponents which limits offense ability to be creative.

We're just going through growing pains as we transition to younger players.

The number of games played by defensemen with the Kings so far over the last 2 years:

Doughty - 107 of 107, 100%
Voynov - 107 of 107, 100%
Muzzin - 99 of 107, 93%
Regehr - 71 of 107, 67%
Martinez - 66 of 107, 62%
Mitchell - 54 of 107, 51%
Scuderi - 48 of 107, 45%
Greene - 36 of 107, 34%
Ellerby - 35 of 107, 33%
Drewiske - 20 of 107, 19%

That is quite a bit of youth and inexperience playing in the majority of those games.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Oh wow...now this IS funny...a middle school kid that loves the Kings, names several favorite players...and names only one player he doesn't like. LOL.

funny but sad. that kid needs some serious tutoring. he's a middle school student and his grammar, spelling and penmanship looks like that of an elementary kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad