Speculation: All Purpose LA Kings 2013-14 Trade Speculation/Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
I've been talking to many Kings fans even that are not on the site and I cant find to seem one that likes Gagner. I wonder why?.. Maybe cuz he sucks and can't even play LW?.. Why dont we just do Williams for Vanek?..

Toffoli-Kopitar-Carter
Vanek-Richards-Brown

Loooks fine....ermm.

because it will cost a **** ton more then that

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've been talking to many Kings fans even that are not on the site and I cant find to seem one that likes Gagner. I wonder why?.. Maybe cuz he sucks and can't even play LW?.. Why dont we just do Williams for Vanek?..

Toffoli-Kopitar-Carter
Vanek-Richards-Brown

Loooks fine....ermm.

Because if the Islanders are going to rebuild, they do not want Williams...they want: Martin Jones, Muzzin, and Toffoli. (not that DL would ever do that)

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I have been busy for a few days, haven't been reading rumors at all... Are we really going for Gagner? I thought that LW was the obvious position where we needed reinfrorcement.

The Kings have needed help on LW during Lombardi's entire tenure. Thus, we focus on a 4th center.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings have needed help on LW during Lombardi's entire tenure. Thus, we focus on a 4th center.

Frolov and O'Sullivan in 06-07 right? Or at least part of it. 07-08, he signed Nagy, who was a stop gap. 08-09 he traded O'Sullivan, and then traded for Smyth. So Smyth and Frolov in 09-10, and the Kings would kill for that kind of production from the left side at this point. Hell, Richardson ended up having a better year that year than what Brown is on pace for this season. Then the whole Kovalchuk thing happened, and Frolov left, and Ponikarovsky came aboard in 10-11. Tried Sturm. Then added Penner at the deadline. Then Smyth wanted to go back to Edmonton, and they added Gagne. Then Gagne got hurt, Penner was unproductive, they bring in Carter, and had to move Brown over to the left side. Then Gagne gets traded, a still unproductive Penner leaves, King has some success, but Brown goes into the toilet.

It's been an interesting adventure.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Trade everyone for picks, Quick included. Bring up the Monarchs, get them NHL experience under radical new hire coach Steve Martinson (five-time WCHL champion behind the bench), tank for a good set of picks to restock the Monarchs and Reign.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Wait, we don't want to go back to the bad old days? My mistake :)

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
zero interest any of the UFAs. LA isn't going to do anything this post season based on how they are playing presently. there is zero reason to mortgage the long term for a quick exit this post season.

they need to make a run at Vanek and Moulson in the offseason to shore up the LW. they need to address the backend D issues. Dean needs to replace Willie and try to upgrade Greene and Muffin.

there are serious holes in the line up right now and the cost now and up to the TD is to high imo

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

The league is weak on LW in general. Look up the top scorers in the NHL this year and sort by LW. Pretty slim pickings league-wide after say the top 15 or so, when it comes to that position.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
“@DarrenDreger: Oilers aren't eager to retain salary in Gagner trade and are believed to be receiving interest from other teams based on the buzz...”

Hmmmmmm

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
“@DarrenDreger: LA-Edmtn deal could still go down, but, what's the rush? Gagner is playing well and could fetch more at deadline or at the Draft.”

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
While a change would be welcomed, I'm not sure Gagner is the right guy for the job.. so to hear the deal is basically off for now is almost a relief.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think Lombardi would have even gave up Muzzin for Gagner.

I think Lombardi was hoping to catch Mac T napping and letting Gagner go for basically nothing.

Once Mac T starting asking for assets Lombardi said "No thanks".

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Omark on waivers... I wonder if this is the left wing we're after...

I doubt it. If we weren't so strapped for cash, I could see us picking him up like we did Sturm, merely to try at no risk and then jettison him later, but he definitely isn't the answer.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I still don't understand why anyone would trade martinez over muzzin. One might argue muzzin has slightly more offensive upside, but marginally. Martinez is still the superior defensemen, as well as having a killing break out pass. Also, martinez doesn't drop grenades, muzzin does all the time. I'm sure if slotted in the top spot, martinez would be able to do just as well as muzzin does. also, he's left handed. If he was right handed, I would understand, but in my mind martinez is superior to muzzin in almost every way.

What makes you think that he would do just as well? Our coach doesn't believe that. And Muzzing has an equally good or better break out pass. Muzzin hits well and the offense is night and day in comparison. Muzzin is still very raw but he's two years younger. Martinez has played a combination of 4.5 years with the Kings and has only played around 165 games.

Muzzin makes a lot of mistakes but he's still undeveloped and has all the tools as well as the ability to reach some of those tools. The defensive side has been more down than up but I think people use him more as a scapegoat because they need one. Much like Brown, JJ, Quick in the past.

Martinez is the epitome of unspectacular. He's a nice guy to have on the roster, but he's now been riding the pine through two coaching staffs. That is telling.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
What makes you think that he would do just as well? Our coach doesn't believe that. And Muzzing has an equally good or better break out pass. Muzzin hits well and the offense is night and day in comparison. Muzzin is still very raw but he's two years younger. Martinez has played a combination of 4.5 years with the Kings and has only played around 165 games.

Muzzin makes a lot of mistakes but he's still undeveloped and has all the tools as well as the ability to reach some of those tools. The defensive side has been more down than up but I think people use him more as a scapegoat because they need one. Much like Brown, JJ, Quick in the past.

Martinez is the epitome of unspectacular. He's a nice guy to have on the roster, but he's now been riding the pine through two coaching staffs. That is telling.

Muzzin is not as good as people make him out to be, he is also not as bad as people make him out to be.

He is a kid that makes rookie mistakes. It doesn't bother me cause I watch a lot of NHL/AHL hockey.

Muzzin is about ten times better than someone like McDonald, which is who some people want to bring in to replace Muzzin.

People don't realize how hard it is to play 18-20+ minutes a night.

That comes with mistakes, Drew makes them....

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Muzzin is not as good as people make him out to be, he is also not as bad as people make him out to be.

He is a kid that makes rookie mistakes. It doesn't bother me cause I watch a lot of NHL/AHL hockey.

Muzzin is about ten times better than someone like McDonald, which is who some people want to bring in to replace Muzzin.

People don't realize how hard it is to play 18-20+ minutes a night.

That comes with mistakes, Drew makes them....

When paired with Doughty you're on the ice against the top skilled guys of the opposition, playing a ton of minutes, so mistakes are going to be magnified and make you look bad. Perhaps Sutter could set Muzzin up for success by playing him less against the toughest match-ups so the optics aren't so bad, but if the team had a better option they'd be utilizing them, you know?

I guess it speaks volumes about what the under-estimated loss of Rob Scuderi has done to throw the balance of the defense pairings out of order.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I guess it speaks volumes about what the under-estimated loss of Rob Scuderi has done to throw the balance of the defense pairings out of order.
Quoted for truth -- but let's be honest, even if he were still here, he wouldn't have been the 2012 Scuderi, and the Kings would be even harder against the cap... I think we're also seeing Greene and Mitchell not be who they used to be, magnifying the loss.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Good point. Muzzin looks pretty solid since he's had his minutes sheltered. I also believe it was foolish for Sutter to make such a big deal about Muzzin needing to hit more. I think that should come with the natural progression of a developing dman. You don't want a guy like Muzzin having something that often makes you lose position roaming through his head at the point of attack. Play smart, play natural.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah, I was never big on the whole Gagner deal, can't say I care either way. Don't like it and don't hate it.

I think the original post of the deal being gagner (with salary retained) for Clifford and mid pick was too good to be true. however I am glad DL will not pay more than that as if he did it would hinder us in the future.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Toffoli-Kopitar-Carter
Vanek-Richards-Brown

Loooks fine....ermm.

I like gagner just not a good fit on this team. If he we had a hole on the right side than he would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad