Injury Report: All purpose injuries thread

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hammond played a back-to-back because we didn't have a choice

If you have a choice you don't play the same goalie two days in a row, it's not rocket surgery here people

Agree with the first point, disagree with the second.

It's true that unrested goalies sv% drops significantly on average in the second game of a back to back. The decision however relies on the difference in quality between your two goalies. If Anderson is giving you .930 sv% all year, and Lehner is giving you .900, Broad street bullies crunched the numbers, and found the diffence is about a .010 drop in your sv%, so unless your backup is significantly worse, it usually makes sense to start the backup (they got to get some starts anyways, might as well do it when the disadvantage is at its smallest).

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder if they shut down Lehner for the season and MacArthur only comes back if we make the playoffs and he returns at some point in a series.

The smart thing to do is to just shut them down until they're as healthy as they can be and then move from there.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hope MacArthur will be ok going forward, he really looked shell-shocked after the collision

I'm a bit less worried about Lehner since he's 23 but you never know

The best thing to do will definitely be to shut them down for the rest of the year unless they start feeling dramatically better or we make the playoffs

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I hope MacArthur will be ok going forward, he really looked shell-shocked after the collision

I'm a bit less worried about Lehner since he's 23 but you never know

The best thing to do will definitely be to shut them down for the rest of the year unless they start feeling dramatically better or we make the playoffs

MacArthur definitely took the worst of it. But from what a friend of mine in the know told me, they were both knocked out cold. Lehner came to rather quickly but Mac took a while.

Either way, no rush for either to return soon. Get better and get the cobwebs out entirely. Concussions are not easy to recover from.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't worry about them being rushed back. Teams all have very strict protocols now on concussion management and recovery. This reflects both the vastly better knowledge the medical community now has on head injuries, plus a strong desire by the league and individual teams NOT to be on the wrong end of a lawsuit. If they are both still suffering with symptoms, I would agree that we might not see them again this year. Even once the symptoms disappear, there is still a step by step "return to play" guide that would take at least two weeks to play out...

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Does smith even have a spot on the team anymore? Pageau has brought way more to the table and the Smith on wing experiment was a complete failure.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Does smith even have a spot on the team anymore? Pageau has brought way more to the table and the Smith on wing experiment was a complete failure.

smith can take his time coming back, he should aim to be ready for September

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I'd slot in Smith at 4rd C and put Legwand on the wing instead of Lazar.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Ya if we trade Legwand in the offseason I'd be happy to have Smith back, but I don't think Pageau should play another game in the AHL.

agreed, and we have already tried both smith and legwand on the wing and both of them looked out of place. Im guessing we give him games over puempel but i really hope we stick with the best players play policy and when macarthur comes back he comes out of the lineup unless he has earned the ice time

and with all the hate on lazars production; i would not touch the condra-pageau-lazar line, that line has been our energy line and it has been working. No need to mess with it

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Do we have updates not just on these two, but on the rest of the sick bay ? Phillips, Neil, Smith ?

Phillips, it's hard to find any information on what's actually happened with him.

Best I found was a quote before the first game he missed where Cameron sounded confused and implied it was something like back seizures.

Neil should be getting close, he had surgery and should be moving from week-to-week to day-to-day soon in terms of timeframe.

Smith, I guess he's skated but outside of that not sure if he's taking contact or faceoffs or anything. It was a dislocated wrist - so shouldn't have been any real reason he couldn't have skated to begin with.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I've heard through some back channels that Lehner is in rough shape, with significant symptoms remaining and while it isn't being said publically yet, he may be done for the year. He has told friends he is not in a good place still.

I've heard MacArthur is not as bad, and could be back before the end of the year.

Crazy to think that one impact did so much to both.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I've heard through some back channels that Lehner is in rough shape, with significant symptoms remaining and while it isn't being said publically yet, he may be done for the year. He has told friends he is not in a good place still.

I've heard MacArthur is not as bad, and could be back before the end of the year.

Crazy to think that one impact did so much to both.

Crappy, but he's one guy that can afford to take his time. Would be nice to have Mac back for the last games.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Would Lehner have to pass through waivers to be sent to bingo during the off-season?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Would Lehner have to pass through waivers to be sent to bingo during the off-season?

No one is 'sent to bingo' during the off-season. Afaik, all contracts are considered to be at the NHL level.

That's why you always have that big glut of waivers right before the start of the season.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Lehner has to go through waivers during the season, and like noted above, there is no such thing as 'sent to bingo' in the offseason.

He has played 86 games, and the threshold for a 23 year old goalie is 60.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
So the answer is he would have to go through waivers. Thanks for the clarification on the off-season aspect.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
So the answer is he would have to go through waivers. Thanks for the clarification on the off-season aspect.

Yep.

Fun fact: Pageau is no longer waiver exempt. He has played 81 regular season and playoff games now. His threshold was 70 as a 22 year old.

Same goes for Stone, Ceci and Zibanejad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad