All-purpose goaltending thread III - all Hutch/Pav talk here [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
HAH! He has better career numbers than Pavelec. Seriously I sometimes like to think you aren't a real person posting.

Yup, just floating around the inter-web riding my pink unicorn naked with a harp in one hand and keyboard in the other.:tinker:

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm no Pavs fanboy but the ship sailed on Hutch being a legit starter, he is not a goaltender to build on or will he be here long, Hutch simply holding a spot until Helly is ready and Chevy gets serious about the goaltending and trades for one or signs a reliable FA (like the Flames did). Hutch's play post All-Star break sealed his fate as not trustworthy or even as an adequate back-up.

Hutch has played a whopping 16 games since All-Star break.

His stats:

Record: 6-6-3,
Save percentage: 0.890%

Not great, but not atrocious either. Hutch still has a career average of 0.915% over 40 games, which is league average. I'm confident that Hutch will bounce back, and at the very least, make a reliable backup in the future. You are forgetting he only turned 25 one month ago, and has plenty of time to improve his game.

However, I can debate this topic until the cows come home. If I cannot convince [people], with reliable statistics and logic, than there is really no point in posting on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

His stats:

Not great, but not atrocious either. Hutch still has a career average of 0.915% over 40 games, which is league average. I'm confident that Hutch will bounce back, and at the very least, make a reliable backup in the future. You are forgetting he only turned 25 one month ago, and has plenty of time to improve his game.

However, I can debate this topic until the cows come home. If I cannot convince [people], with reliable statistics and logic, than there is really no point in posting on this thread.

Jet management have a severe blind spot when it comes to Pav. His 6 seasons of sub-standard goaltending should tell us that when his hot streaks end we need to go to somebody else. I say ride Hutch until golf season. And call up Hellebuyck and even Budaj once the Caps are done.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Imagine if we had a goalie like Cory Schneider, we would be fighting for the division lead right now.

I used to have a coin like that. It was my lucky coin but I lost it. :laugh:

By any chance did you lose it somewhere in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area? ;)

I'm not ready to give up on Pavs just based on these past few games, but I think these back to backs will help Mo decide who we ride going forth, as both goalies will be needed in the next two. If one plays noticeably better than the other, then he should get the Colorado game... and hopefully does so well there that he gets the Calgary game (unless we have the luxury of resting him that night :naughty:)

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
By any chance did you lose it somewhere in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area? ;)

:laugh:

I'm not ready to give up on Pavs just based on these past few games, but I think these back to backs will help Mo decide who we ride going forth, as both goalies will be needed in the next two. If one plays noticeably better than the other, then he should get the Colorado game... and hopefully does so well there that he gets the Calgary game (unless we have the luxury of resting him that night :naughty:)

Fully agreed.
Pavs is on a little shaky footing, so time to go with the new hot hand (whichever pulls that off). B2B is a perfect stage for that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

His stats:

Hutch's other start in that stretch was the night he got pulled after letting in 4 goals on 7 shots. Don't know if you included that in his post break save %. Either way it is getting close to atrocious. I've spent most of the year advocating for Hutch over Pavs, but Hutch has been real shaky for a while now. Maurice kept trying to give him the ball to run with and he dropped it over and over again. Finally, Maurice gave the ball to Pavs (seemingly out of desperation) and was rewarded for it.

Of course Pavs' last 3 games also appear to be him coming back to earth after his really nice stretch of very good goaltending. To be honest I see both as rather middling, but Pavs gives a little more hope IMO since his last run of good play is much more recent then Hutch's. Ideally we would have a true #1 and Hutch is a backup. But such is not the case. I have a feeling if we stumble down the stretch it will be largely due to mediocre tending. And I see that as being true no matter which of the 2 are in the net.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pavelec's last 3000 shots against save percentage: 0.9069.

Right on target.

Only Scrivens, Enroth, and Ward are worse with 3000 mins over that same time frame.

Everyone knows Pavs sucks, right? Any delusional people out there still think he's a NHL starter?

Only question remains is what can Hutch become? NHL starter? Nhl backup? Or was he just a flash in the pan like so many others in time (back to the AHL/ECHL or maybe KHL).

Either way our goaltending sucks at the moment and strong possibility it's going to suck next year.

Thx CHEVY.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hutch's other start in that stretch was the night he got pulled after letting in 4 goals on 7 shots. Don't know if you included that in his post break save %.

Yes, I did. It works both ways. During a game against Minnesota in November, Pavelec was pulled after Minnesota went up 3-0 after just 11 shots. However, Hutch took the OL, as the Jets rallied to tie the game, only to lose in OT.

Either way it is getting close to atrocious. I've spent most of the year advocating for Hutch over Pavs, but Hutch has been real shaky for a while now. Maurice kept trying to give him the ball to run with and he dropped it over and over again. Finally, Maurice gave the ball to Pavs (seemingly out of desperation) and was rewarded for it.

Hutch had the ball for a total of six weeks! Compare that to Pavelec, who has had nearly 4 years to run with the ball, and fumbled so many times, that if he were an NFL Running Back, he would be on a one way ticket to NFL Europe. Just for fun, let's compare "dropping the ball."

Pavelec time with the ball: 4 years x 28 weeks/season - 6 weeks for Hutch = 106 weeks!!!

So Pavelec has had the ball for 106 weeks, and averaged just under 0.907% career average. That is nearly 18 times the amount Hutchinson has had to run with the ball, and Pavelec is still mediocre at best.

Of course Pavs' last 3 games also appear to be him coming back to earth after his really nice stretch of very good goaltending. To be honest I see both as rather middling, but Pavs gives a little more hope IMO since his last run of good play is much more recent then Hutch's.

If we exclude Pavelec's two streaks, he was 0.890% between Nov. 16 to March 10. During that time, Pavelec went 7-10-5. Even worse, Pavelec went 0-8-4 against playoff seeded teams. That is beyond terrible.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Everyone knows Pavs sucks, right? Any delusional people out there still think he's a NHL starter?

Only question remains is what can Hutch become? NHL starter? Nhl backup? Or was he just a flash in the pan like so many others in time (back to the AHL/ECHL or maybe KHL).

Either way our goaltending sucks at the moment and strong possibility it's going to suck next year.

Thx CHEVY.

Chevy is NOT to blame. Have you seen what he is done for the Jets in four years?

Michael Hutchinson (acquired from Boston 2013, 0.915% 22-11-5, with NHL Jets)
Connor Hellebuyck (drafted 120th overall, future franchise goalie, AHL MVP Candidate)
Eric Comrie (drafted 59th overall, 2013, WHL all-star goalie, recalled to Ice Caps)
Jamie Phillips (drafted 190th overall, 2012, NCAA MVP nominee)

When the Jets relocated in 2011, the cupboards were bare. Now we have the best goaltending prospects out of any team in the NHL. Overall, we have the best prospects in nearly every position. Chevy should be nominated for GM of the year. We were nothing when the Thrashers were moved. Now we will be contending for a long time.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Chevy is NOT to blame. Have you seen what he is done for the Jets in four years?

Michael Hutchinson (acquired from Boston 2013, 0.915% 22-11-5, with NHL Jets)
Connor Hellebuyck (drafted 120th overall, future franchise goalie, AHL MVP Candidate)
Eric Comrie (drafted 59th overall, 2013, WHL all-star goalie, recalled to Ice Caps)
Jamie Phillips (drafted 190th overall, 2012, NCAA MVP nominee)

When the Jets relocated in 2011, the cupboards were bare. Now we have the best goaltending prospects out of any team in the NHL. Overall, we have the best prospects in nearly every position. Chevy should be nominated for GM of the year. We were nothing when the Thrashers were moved. Now we will be contending for a long time.

Wasting your breath. He's done drafting, some have worked out and others haven't and some to be seen. Forced into a trade with Kane and made the best of a bad situation (which he was largely to blame for). Traded for two cheap depth UFA forwards at the dead line, yet to be seen if we make the playoffs b/c we waited so long to do anything and we have terrible goaltending. Yet to see how many UFA's we lose this summer. He's done a except able job in some areas, good in others and horrible in goaltending.

Trading to improve over the worse NHL starter over the last 3-4 years isn't hard.....not even worth debating.

Sorry but our GM controls it all, he actually is to blame.....no one else. :shakehead

Like arguing the sun will rise tomorrow. Pointless and waste of time. CHEVY seems to have some unexplainable faith in Pavs Dispite Pavs never earning that faith. You do realize our starting goaltender has been the laughing stock of the NHL over the last 4 years right?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Wasting your breath. He's done drafting, some have worked out and others haven't and some to be seen. Forced into a trade with Kane and made the best of a bad situation (which he was largely to blame for). Traded for two cheap depth UFA forwards at the dead line, yet to be seen if we make the playoffs b/c we waited so long to do anything and we have terrible goaltending. Yet to see how many UFA's we lose this summer. He's done a except able job in some areas, good in others and horrible in goaltending.

Trading to improve over the worse NHL starter over the last 3-4 years isn't hard.....not even worth debating.

Sorry but our GM controls it all, he actually is to blame.....no one else. :shakehead

Like arguing the sun will rise tomorrow. Pointless and waste of time. CHEVY seems to have some unexplainable faith in Pavs Dispite Pavs never earning that faith. You do realize our starting goaltender has been the laughing stock of the NHL over the last 4 years right?

Chevy has only made two mistakes that are noticeable at this point:

1. Drafting Lukas Sutter in round 2 of the 2012 NHL draft
2. Signing Pavelec to that ridiculous 5 year contract, with a $3,900,000 cap hit.

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Kane was a punk, and True North spend tons of time and effort trying to work with him. Under impossible circumstances, Chevy picked up Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, and a 1st round draft pick. It was his golden moment.

Not only that, the Jets are now fighting for the playoffs with 92 points. The Jets have a legitimate shot at breaking the franchise mark of 97 points. Chevy is a great GM, and people who think otherwise obviously do not know much about hockey. True North said their philosophy was to build through the draft, and they have succeeded in flying colours. Our goaltending situation will improve next year, and even better in 206-17.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy has only made two mistakes that are noticeable at this point:

1. Drafting Lukas Sutter in round 2 of the 2012 NHL draft
2. Signing Pavelec to that ridiculous 5 year contract, with a $3,900,000 cap hit.

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Kane was a punk, and True North spend tons of time and effort trying to work with him. Under impossible circumstances, Chevy picked up Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, and a 1st round draft pick. It was his golden moment.

Not only that, the Jets are now fighting for the playoffs with 92 points. The Jets have a legitimate shot at breaking the franchise mark of 97 points. Chevy is a great GM, and people who think otherwise obviously do not know much about hockey. True North said their philosophy was to build through the draft, and they have succeeded in flying colours. Our goaltending situation will improve next year, and even better in 206-17.

Generally I'm a big Chevy supporter as well and think he has done a lot more good then bad. But I'd add a 3rd mistake and that would be not giving Pavs a compliance buyout when he had the chance. There were a lot of serviceable goalies floating around last season that could have been picked up as a stop gap between then until one of our prospects were ready to take over as the starter. Instead we are tied to Pavs as our starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad