All-purpose goaltending thread III - all Hutch/Pav talk here [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Continue here.

Warning: If you can't discuss the topic without taunting or taking shots at other posters, you will be infracted and/or removed from the conversation at the moderator's discretion. Critique posts, not the posters themselves. If you're thinking about trolling, please don't do that either.

Current stats:

Michael Hutchinson:

20W-8L-5OT
0.918 sv%
2 SO

Ondrej Pavelec

13W-13L-7OT
0.909 sv%
1 SO

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
not sure this thread needed to be extended, but oh well.

I was thinking something similar.
Hutch is our starter, Pavs is our back-up.

That said, people will continue to talk about goaltending constantly. And if thats the case, at least it can all be kept to one place.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
not sure this thread needed to be extended, but oh well.

It does.

HFJets mods want to direct general discussions of our goaltending to this thread. We will continue to move discussion of the non-playing goaltender from GDT's and PGT's here (or delete those messages at OT). The goaltending discussion has a tendency to take over all threads - this thread is an attempt to alleviate that.

Derfel*

I was thinking something similar.
Hutch is our starter, Pavs is our back-up.

That said, people will continue to talk about goaltending constantly. And if thats the case, at least it can all be kept to one place.

For the present and foreseeable future, yes. Stranger things have happened, though.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
For the present and foreseeable future, yes. Stranger things have happened, though.

Not sure what you're reading into what I said.

Like I said, Hutch is our starter, Pavs is our back up.

Your need to defend Pavs against every slight you perceive is getting over the top.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That's correct, I learnt it awhile ago.

I'd remind you of the UK / archaic vs. Americanized version of the word you're discussing, but you're obviously familiar with them ;) , so instead I thought I'd discuss something on topic ...

This is the first time in over 4 years that Pav has split games with another goalie to this extent. They're both sitting at 33 games. Who was in net for Atlanta when Pav had an even or less than even split?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'd remind you of the UK / archaic vs. Americanized version of the word you're discussing, but you're obviously familiar with them ;) , so instead I thought I'd discuss something on topic ...

This is the first time in over 4 years that Pav has split games with another goalie to this extent. They're both sitting at 33 games. Who was in net for Atlanta when Pav had an even or less than even split?

Hedberg, what do I win?

Lomac

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it will be interesting when they have the end of hockey exit interviews. What will management tell Pavelec about how they see him going forward and how he may possibly become a back-up. If we are lucky, he requests to be traded lol.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it will be interesting when they have the end of hockey exit interviews. What will management tell Pavelec about how they see him going forward and how he may possibly become a back-up. If we are lucky, he requests to be traded lol.

How does that help us?
We can't give him away, let alone expect another team to give anything up for him.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
How does that help us?
We can't give him away, let alone expect another team to give anything up for him.
It looks like Bettman is pushing for Las Vegas to start in 2016-2017. Assuming it gets going, we'll have to expose at least 1 goalie in the expansion draft in June 2016. So keep him as a backup 2015-2016, put him up for the expansion draft, and if nobody bites, buy him out June 30, 2016. The other option would be to re-sign Olkinouara as draft bait, and buy out Pavelec this June (2015).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It looks like Bettman is pushing for Las Vegas to start in 2016-2017. Assuming it gets going, we'll have to expose at least 1 goalie in the expansion draft in June 2016. So keep him as a backup 2015-2016, put him up for the expansion draft, and if nobody bites, buy him out June 30, 2016. The other option would be to re-sign Olkinouara as draft bait, and buy out Pavelec this June (2015).

We have no idea what the expansion draft protocol will be this time around. There has never been expansion during the cap era.

If Pav is bought out or traded it's probable there will be a veteran goalie signed or acquired as a replacement. Trades in the offseason before the expansion draft will also happen to meet whatever goalie expansion criteria gets set. I doubt any sane GM would waste his cap space on Pavelec anyway.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16

Derfel*

Not sure what you're reading into what I said.

Like I said, Hutch is our starter, Pavs is our back up.

Your need to defend Pavs against every slight you perceive is getting over the top.

I'm saying injuries happen, etc etc. I'm not defending anyone.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
Hellebuyck in 2015-16
<snip> :)

Lawless tweeted about this on the weekend... his take is that they'll want both Hutchinson and Hellebuyck playing as many games as possible next year: Hutch in the NHL, and Helle in the AHL.

Makes sense to me, too. There's no need to free up Pav's cap hit until the year after next.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

What will not be strange is Hellebuyck playing well enough in pre-season, to make the final cut, and join the Jets roster. It will be a Hutch-Helle tandem, with Pavelec either being placed on waivers, or sent down to the AHL.

In fact, I don't even need to wait until October. I'm calling it now. Hellebuyck will be our starter, while Hutch is relegated to backup. Hellebuyck is the best player not in the NHL, and that includes the KHL, AHL, NCAA, and Junior leagues.

The Jets struck Gold when they drafted Helle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad