Speculation: All Purpose Goalie Speculation Thread

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Steve Mason is not a bad goalie either. Not sure why he hasn't been mentioned as a possibility.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Haha. I FORGOT about that. Our goalie coaches were Smith's childhood friends or whatever. Just random *******s off the street basically. No wonder Louis struggled. Dealing with THAT ********. This franchise...wow...

Maybe Lehner and DeAngelo can drain the swamp and make the Coyotes great again.

This. I really think either chad or Louis would do quite well with the right coach

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe Sean Burke still lives in the valley. He was a good goalie coach once. He became too big for his britches and was served some serious humble pie. If he's ready to get back to basics, he could do the team some good.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Lehner is a legitimate option. He's looking for $4M. Couple that with Smith's retention and you get virtually no savings. He's also a bigger ***** than Mike Smith.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sign or move a minor thing for whatever under 30 6'3 or above goalie you want that isn't a complete nutter or cancer. Done. Goalies aren't rocket science. You don't have to marry them either...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Domingue has more upside than people think. I think Domingue being the 2nd man is good for us. He reminds me of Greiss. Not really a number 2, more like 1A.

I do like Chad Johnson as well, but he's 31 now and maybe heading toward his last few good years. I like Raanta because he should be starting. He has great numbers, and he's 28. Grubauer is ideal as well because he has raw talent and he's young.

Good points.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Mrazek unprotected. How many damn side deals did Vegas make?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Dubnyk really only had one bad year in Edmonton, and Nilsson only one good year as a back up. I guess we will agree to disagree on Nilsson.:)

Dubnyk was also bounced from Nashville and Montreal. And IIRC, I was probably the only one who supported his acquisition back in 2014-2015 when everyone else thought he was a garbage fire.

Yes, we'll agree to disagree.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mrazek unprotected. How many damn side deals did Vegas make?

Proabably two dozen. Which makes the NHL PR team idea of announcing all of these EXCITING trades at the "EVENT" a big ass back-fire. It's going to be so convoluted and confusing for the fans. Imagine Bettman at a podium attempting to walk us through...

"We have a trade to announce. The New York Rangers have traded a 4th round pick to the Knights in exchange for their selecting Antti Raanta"

"From the New York Rangers, the Knights select Antti Raanta"

"We have a trade to announce. The Arizona Coyotes have traded their 2nd rounder, 35th overall in the 2017 NHL entry draft to the Vegas Knights in exchange for Antti Raanta"

And so on for like 20/30 selections, with multiple trades and moving parts all over the map between them. It's going to be so boring and tedious as a live event medium. This is really something that should just come out as a press release on Monday and the event on Wednesday is a celebration of whatever players are left from the process, where they just read the names and smile and wave.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The NHL sucks at marketing it's product. We should be getting trade deals being announced all week starting today. Keep the game in the headlines for a week instead of a day.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I believe Sean Burke still lives in the valley. He was a good goalie coach once. He became too big for his britches and was served some serious humble pie. If he's ready to get back to basics, he could do the team some good.

I doubt he comes back as a goalie coach. He put together the latest Team Canada and is in charge of that whole program, so is probably still working on the management track angle. Canada's standards are ridiculous though, so he might lose that position based on their tournament.

Based on Chayka's hiring of Dawn Braid for skating coach to really shore up the modernization of the club, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we hired a new goalie coach or even coaches/analysts since letting go Smith. You don't have to appease Smith by keeping his coach around anymore, so it's an obvious segue.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah. Just looked up his wording.

"Mike Smith's departure did not close the door on Coyotes goalie coach Jon Elkin's return. Hearing Elkin will return on a 1-year deal."

Not signed and sealed but close.

rt

May 13, 2004
I forgot we had two goalie coaches, right? One is Elkin who has worked with several NHL goalies and the other is just a straight up slacker buddy of Smith, right?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Elkin is the guy that's coached Smith in camps since he was a kid. He also had a stint as a goaltending coach before in the NHL.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
He is making 4 mil this season. I'd put him at the bottom of the list.

Is money now a problem? Unless we land a guy under contract like Raanta I reckon we're going to need to pony up at least 3m/year for a goalie to sign here as a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad