Speculation: All Purpose Goalie Speculation Thread

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is money now a problem? Unless we land a guy under contract like Raanta I reckon we're going to need to pony up at least 3m/year for a goalie to sign here as a starter.

Chayka wants to save money on a goalie and use it elsewhere. I assume he doesn't want to end up paying any more than $2m for an RFA goalie to platoon with $1m Domingue. I don't think anyone is signing here to be a clear-cut starter. Chad Johnson wouldn't cost $3m.

Nilsson would be happy to stay in the league for 2x1.75m or whatever, and I'd be happy to have him. Problem solved.

Mrazek is pretty good in the shootout though, like Domingue: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/goalie-shootout-save-percentage/2016/

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Chayka wants to save money on a goalie and use it elsewhere. I assume he doesn't want to end up paying any more than $2m for an RFA goalie to platoon with $1m Domingue. I don't think anyone is signing here to be a clear-cut starter. Chad Johnson wouldn't cost $3m.

Nilsson would be happy to stay in the league for 2x1.75m or whatever, and I'd be happy to have him. Problem solved.

Mrazek is pretty good in the shootout though, like Domingue: https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/goalie-shootout-save-percentage/2016/

Will Tippett actually go with a platoon, though? AFAIK he's never done that before and will make every effort to ride his main guy for around 65 games if he stays healthy.

But I'd be more than happy to sign Nilsson to a 2x2m deal to platoon. Gives us an extra 2-3m to spend.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka was very clear about wanting to spend needlessly expensive goalie dollars on skaters. He's obviously of the philosophy that you don't need to spend muchnin the crease. I agree. 25% of Smith and 100% of Mrazek goes against that.

Johnson & Domingue is still my clear cut battery of choice.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka was very clear about wanting to spend needlessly expensive goalie dollars on skaters. He's obviously of the philosophy that you don't need to spend muchnin the crease. I agree. 25% of Smith and 100% of Mrazek goes against that.

Johnson & Domingue is still my clear cut battery of choice.

I could live with that, but I think they want a young goalie that is their future. Finding and getting one is another story.

His power has been severely curbed this summer, plus he's probably all for spending more on forwards.

Speculation on your part, but you are trying to make it sound as fact.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I could live with that, but I think they want a young goalie that is their future. Finding and getting one is another story.

Speculation on your part, but you are trying to make it sound as fact.

Domingue? Isn't he young? Couldn't he be the future? How about Merrick Madsen?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domingue? Isn't he young? Couldn't he be the future? How about Merrick Madsen?

I don't think Dominque will be a starter, but I could be wrong. Chyka was saying they are still looking for a starter, so that sounds like they also don't think LD is starter material.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Tippett has ever had a tandem to play. There has always been one expensive goalie that will regularly play (Turco, Bryz, Smith, etc). You could say Smith-Dubnyk, but it's unrealistic for a 6M goalie to sit on the bench.

Basically, Tipp has never had two goalies where the combined cost is ~3M. I think he'll have that this year though.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
.874. Middle of the road for the most part. Similar to guys like Crawford, Hutchinson, Jones. Only 3 guys cracked .900 and the next highest is .893.

Top of the list for shorthanded though. He's never given up a shortie over the last 3 seasons.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
.874. Middle of the road for the most part. Similar to guys like Crawford, Hutchinson, Jones. Only 3 guys cracked .900 and the next highest is .893.

Top of the list for shorthanded though. He's never given up a shortie over the last 3 seasons.

If anything can change that, its this one. :laugh:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't think Dominque will be a starter, but I could be wrong. Chyka was saying they are still looking for a starter, so that sounds like they also don't think LD is starter material.

Chayka is probably looking for a starter for this season, but that doesn't mean that LD couldn't step in at some point in the future. He said he wanted to get younger in goal, so, typically you look for a player that has done well starting (or a fair amount of starts) and continue to develop the BU if they have the potential of being a starter.

We got slightly younger with Johnson (if re-signed), but I figure he's looking for a 27 or 28 year old goalie (perhaps Raanta) who is ready to step in as a starter and hopefully keep that position for a season or three while you focus on the BU's development and incorporate that player into the lineup more. Once the starter starts to decline, you switch the two for a season or two while exploring other options for the next possible starter (prospects, trades, UFAs). Continue the cycle while developing the rest of the team and the team can become more successful.

Of course, I'm not sure LD has the potential of being a starter, but he has shown that he can do well if given the right chances and opportunities to succeed. With a middling starter, LD will have those opportunities; if he does poorly, we look to Hill, Mishka, or possibly Madsen. If the prospects aren't ready to move up to the BU role, than you hunt elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad