All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I finished playing the Yuffie chapter of FF7 Intergrade and was surprised with how much I really enjoyed it. I'll save anything about story stuff for spoiler tags just in case. I think the combat really took another step forward, as Yuffie provides a distinctive way to play that addresses the issues with aerial combat in the OG remake, while the tag team attacks provide another level of strategy to things.

Like everyone else, I'm curious to see whether they'll utilize the tag team attacks going forward or not, since the way they sort of got around this in the original was by weaving the characters in and out of the story, but now presumably the full party will be together from the start of the next game.

This seems to be a commonly held sentiment from what I've seen briefly looking around, but I thought the side quest stuff was handled a fair bit better this time around. Fort Condor was addicting, and even the more fetch questy poster mission was enjoyable. On the whole, I think they did well to round out the DLC in this way without overstuffing it with filler. If I have a qualm, it's that they might have woven slightly more into the chapters themselves, but I think the strengths of the new combat helped outweigh any of that.

Storywise, I was actually pleased with the relatively light hand they showed. I think like a lot of people, I see the Deepground stuff as inherently cringeworthy and dumb, so I definitely see why some would rather not have it be there at all, but with that said, I think they managed to incorporate it in a way that downplayed some of the really negative traits and didn't center them all too much.

The substance of the story was a little bit nebulous, but in ways that I think will probably get cleared up as we meet Yuffie again in the next game. It gives you enough to put together some of the rift between Avalance and the OG remake party, but it still seemed to be a little bit suspect in terms of how Avalance is supposed to help them get into Shinra and then in the end, there's no materia to steal.

Then there's also the surprising amount of postgame scenes, which set up the sequel well but do not address anything about the Zack stuff. It seems like it might be misdirection to me, but I didn't go into the DLC expecting much would be shown concretely. I think the biggest question right now that I have is how the next game will unfold -- will it be similar to the original remake, only showing minor differences, or are we going to get playable Zack sequences and more and more new stuff? My initial speculation right now is that we won't get much in the way of playable Zack sequences, but that what might be "different" from OG FF7 is that there's more thorough integration of Wutai.

I could be way off base here, but I think the nature of some aspects in OG FF7 leave some space for them to retell major story beats similar to this game, but not necessarily in a linear path. For example, I doubt that it's just going to be left up to the player whether or not they seek out Yuffie, and similarly Vincent later on, and so how they bring these parts in could affect the progression of the new game(s). I've seen people speculate that maybe there will be a split party situation down the line, though I'm not so sure about that yet.

Not sure if anyone else has played it, so I'll put a pin in it there. I hope we don't have to wait 4-5 more years for the next part.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Agreed.

I feel like it was the last quality single player FF game. The 13's were pretty poor (way too linear for me) and I didn't enjoy 15 all that much. 12 had an interesting bunch of characters, a better story and fun combat mechanics. I liked the levelling system too and the fact you could effectively mold your characters any way you wanted.

What, you didn't like having to go straight through a f***ing hallway for tens of hours?

Neither did I.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I was watching Resonant Arc's analysis of Final Fantasy VI, and they brought up a really interesting thematic point that I never really considered but could potentially be seen as a pretty glaring flaw (that I find difficult to square in an otherwise pretty air-tight game/story).

The entire game builds up this central idea of "Can humans and Espers co-exist?" with all this stuff about "one shining ray of light: hope" and "how will we know unless we try?", and most importantly, Terra being half Esper/half human clearly representing a promising possibility that they can.

But then by the end of the game, the most charitable conclusion you can draw is "No, they can't. It'd be great if they could, but some asshole will come and screw it up." The Espers draw their life-force from the Warring Triads, Kefka takes over the Warring Triads, the party kills Kefka, and Terra loses her Esper powers and only survives by having a strong enough bond to her human side, implying that all Espers died along with Kefka. Thus kind of showing that they in fact can't co-exist, and that the way to resolve the conflict is by sticking to your tribe and going back to the way things were before.

I'm not really sure what to make of that. In some ways I like how brutal/realistic/"not an easy answer" that is, but the implications of that could also be seen as a nihilistic message at best and a xenophobic message at worst (which also hits different coming from a Japanese game). Interesting, in any case.

Edit: These guys are great, btw. Their extended analysis of Final Fantasy Tactics and VIII are also excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I got the pixels remaster of 4 and they've changed the arrows from needing to have individual arrows for each attack to just unlimited once you get one. I got the iron ones when I first got to Kabul and didn't notice they cost 50 apiece until after I bought them, I attacked with them a few times, they landed, then I checked my total and it was the same as before. So, buyer beware, don't waste your money on multiple arrows!

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Continuing to enjoy the FF6 pixel remaster. Getting closer to the opera.

I agree with state of the arc that FF6 is very much portrayed like a stage play (or an opera) with the melodrama and everything
I have regrettably skipped over on FF6, would love to jump into it sometime, pixel remaster seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I've also never played FF6 and have been eyeing the remasters. Pretty annoyed that Square seems to have made the physical edition impossible to get.

I'll be traveling internationally for the whole month of June, so thinking of just grabbing the digital version on my Switch. At least they are available separately.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
FF VII:Rebirth showed off as the ender to Summer Game fest. Said the release date is early 2024, and apparently it's 2 disc's on PS5.

Reactions: Metroid

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
FF VII:Rebirth showed off as the ender to Summer Game fest. Said the release date is early 2024, and apparently it's 2 disc's on PS5.
Just watched the trailer. Looks awesome. 2 discs in interesting.. goonna be huuuge. Wonder where it will end.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not sure where it will end. With such a large game requiring multiple discs, it could end at the northern crater, but I'm betting it doesn't because i know they wanted to work Wutai in where it normally would have been in the story rather than as optional content which would give us more Turks action as well. There's no game footage of Cid or Vincent, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not in the game for part 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Vincent was a side deal like Yuffie.

I'm pretty sure part of that was at the northern crater.
It's the same vision from the first game. Sephiroth's gonna mess with Cloud so much in part 2. Love it.

Reactions: Metroid

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No major red flags, story-wise-- good stuff. Looks like they're
seeding/revealing more of the Cloud mystery ahead of time but increasing the mindf*ckery by Sephiroth by placing more doubt on Tifa being an unreliable narrator as well, by hinting that she should be dead when she shouldn't be?

Love the visual detail of random pipes running all over the world map, and the imagery of
Cloud as a black cloak guy, even though that may not be literal

And that first scene was just
Shinra covering up the events of the last game, right?

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
And that first scene was just
Shinra covering up the events of the last game, right?
Good call,
I was a bit confused initially but I think that's the best interpretation. The only other option that occurs to me is that it could be Zack/alternate timeline BS, but that seems too speculative and like too much of a stretch based on what they've shown so far.

I liked what I saw. Regarding Sephiroth,
I like the idea that Max Dood has said a few times of having the game begin directly in the Nibelheim flashback with Cloud as the NPC and you controlling Sephiroth.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I liked what I saw. Regarding Sephiroth,
I like the idea that Max Dood has said a few times of having the game begin directly in the Nibelheim flashback with Cloud as the NPC and you controlling Sephiroth.
That sounds like it'd be a bit jarring to control Cloud in the field (which would be necessary for some of the story breadcrumbs) but not in battle, though, doesn't it (on top of the story being told from the POV of cloud)? What would be the benefit of that over just controlling both?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's the same vision from the first game. Sephiroth's gonna mess with Cloud so much in part 2. Love it.
Yep, the furthest point that the trailer shows so far is Cosmo Canyon, which doesn't tell us much, honestly.

I still think the most logical point to end Rebirth is Northern Crater, though, and the way they've marketed these trailers seems to promise that, as they've centered the entire focus around the mystery of what Sephiroth wants and what happened with Cloud. You have to conclude with at least part of an answer to that, and Northern Crater is exactly that. (otherwise, it would be doomed to feel like some lame episodic cliffhanger thing rather than a cohesive experience, IMO)

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Is anyone still playing FFXIV? I’ve been on a break for a few months. Was most of the way through Stormblood but got a bit of tank anxiety and haven’t revisited it yet. All of this Final Fantasy hype is making me wanna get back into it soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad