All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
It's like simultaneously the coolest and most technically impressive sequence in the game combined with the dumbest and worst. FFVIII utilized that really clever gameplay -> CG cutscene transition technique better than anything in the franchise, IMO.

I'd also definitely say that VIII is Nomura's best work, period (which, maybe isn't saying much).

悶 is a great single song-- I agree it's one of her best. Restless/Anxiety is her most consistent and creatively distinct album, IMO. I think both from around the same era though.

Oh ok, thank you for link to her album, I not heard it before - I know most her Cantonese stuff. Wong Faye being on FF8 soundtrack definately pushed this game out of gamer world into mainstream start power world for me - my girl would watch me play waiting for the movie scenes.

I still watch FF8 music videos on YouTube whenever I want to reminisce that game.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Decades ago when I was very young I grew up playing all the original consoles from Atari to Commodore to of course Nintendo, played RPGs from that Atari dungeon dragon one to Dragon Warrior to Zelda to Wonder Boy to Chrysalis to Willow to Chrono Trigger Final Fantasy to most of the RGPs of the eighties and nineties - and the first few Final Fantasy onwards really got me hooked.

So, despite knowing that others don't like 8, I still think it's the best game ever literally - it was like watching a TV series each time all the way to the end, having the cheat guide obviously helped me understand everything, but mostly it is the cinematics and music and story that makes it the best like an Oscar winning movie for cinematics.

Thank you to @Rodgerwilco for starting this thread! I still have the entire FF8 soundtrack playing on my car now.
Sure thing, Final Fantasy is one of the more influential pieces of media in my life.

In my experience in discussing Final Fantasy over the years it seems that most people identify the first Final Fantasy title they've played as their favorite. I can tell that certainly aligns with you!

As you may tell from my avatar, FF7 tends to be my favorite, followed by X. I do have a fond spot for FF VIII as well, particularly the music. I agree that the cinematics were quite breath-taking for the time, and really stand up pretty well over time. Even in the original version (not HD Re-Master).

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Sure thing, Final Fantasy is one of the more influential pieces of media in my life.

In my experience in discussing Final Fantasy over the years it seems that most people identify the first Final Fantasy title they've played as their favorite. I can tell that certainly aligns with you!

As you may tell from my avatar, FF7 tends to be my favorite, followed by X. I do have a fond spot for FF VIII as well, particularly the music. I agree that the cinematics were quite breath-taking for the time, and really stand up pretty well over time. Even in the original version (not HD Re-Master).

Haha yeah, most my friends all love 7 too, I used to just watch them play it 24/7!

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So anyone explain what's this new FF that's not FF coming out..And why?
Chaos is apparently everywhere and now a big meme

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anyone here played Intergrade yet? Non spoiler thoughts?
I've only watched it, and it seems to be about what you'd expect. They nailed the look and characterization of Yuffie... it's still a bit obnoxious like in the OG, but I think they make it a bit more palletable, with a dynamic w/ Sonon that's somewhat serviceable, the game aesthetically looks impressive and mechanics look solid/satisfying and welcome to Part 2, but beyond that, it's super generic uninspired storytelling with generally cringe-y and fan-service-y sensibilities and humor, and that feels artificially shoehorned into the main story, with alot of padded and rehashed side-content nonsense and not exactly the best level design, like in part 1. Then there's a bit at the end that confirmed some of my biggest fears about the Remake, and another bit that might tug some nostalgia strings.

Kind of reeks of non-essential, IMO, but possibly still fun if you love the battle system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The first three pixel remasters were released.

Personally, I will never understand why pixel-based games ever use smoothed out fonts (I guess readability?). The pixel aesthetic of the UI can be just as cool as the pixel aesthetic of the sprites, and that incongruity can be ugly to look at, IMO.

ff1_pixel_remaster_1.jpg

Also, I generally agree with this video about how the previews for the VI sprite art looks kind of amateurish.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The first three pixel remasters were released.

Personally, I will never understand why pixel-based games ever use smoothed out fonts (I guess readability?). The pixel aesthetic of the UI can be just as cool as the pixel aesthetic of the sprites, and that incongruity can be ugly to look at, IMO.
I could be totally wrong on this, but maybe its for maximum readability on mobile, and the devs just arent bothering to tweak it on PC.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm playing the PS5 version of remake now and I have to say, usually I don't care about this kind of stuff, but the graphical polish is really noticeable this time. Part of it might be that I am playing on a newer-to-me TV (but not really better quality, just inherited a much bigger one from a friend who moved), but the game really looks good and it also just doesn't feel as bland in some parts as I remember remake initally.

I will play the Yuffie chapter soon enough. Have managed to stay spoiler free and so haven't been keeping up with the thread, even though my expectations are fairly low for the story content and I am mostly just interested in how the combat plays. I noticed a weird but I guess predictable thing from Square earlier: the PS5 full game is on sale, but the chapter for Yuffie is full price. I don't really mind throwing the full $20 at it, but it just seems kinda strange since I can't imagine there are too many people who will play the game for the first time on PS5, not to mention the fact that there are probably a larger contingent of people who are made that all the new content is PS5-only (though this doesn't bother me, which is obviously easy to say with a PS5, but I say it more for the unlikely hope that it's one less obstacle on getting the next full installment completed as soon as feasible).

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Hardcore FF fan here. I'm 41 now and grew up with pretty much all the Final Fantasy's video games and side games. My love for Squaresoft was insane, especially in the older days with Hironobu Sakaguchi, Tetsuya Nomura and 2 amazing masterminds on music; Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda.
Too bad after aquiring Enix both companies went more on the comercial route..

Still enjoy all the new ones and platinuming them for trophies.
Glad I found other people who enjoys them!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If it hasn’t already been said, FFXIV is a brilliant game, and arguably one of the best FF stories of all time. It’s probably the only game after IX that captures the “spirit” of those original few FFs. It’s just fantastic.

And I say that as an unabashed oldhead FF fan who considers Tactics the best overall game in the series.

Speaking of obscure Squaresoft IPs that I would kill for a remake, Xenogears is at the top of my list.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
If it hasn’t already been said, FFXIV is a brilliant game, and arguably one of the best FF stories of all time. It’s probably the only game after IX that captures the “spirit” of those original few FFs. It’s just fantastic.

And I say that as an unabashed oldhead FF fan who considers Tactics the best overall game in the series.

Speaking of obscure Squaresoft IPs that I would kill for a remake, Xenogears is at the top of my list.
I've tried so hard to get into FFXIV ever since it launched but it just can't hold my attention for longer than a few weeks before I get bored.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

This. 100%.
Especially the story of Shadowbringers.
So f***ing good.

Reactions: LokiDog

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've tried so hard to get into FFXIV ever since it launched but it just can't hold my attention for longer than a few weeks before I get bored.

There's no doubt the game starts slow. But once you get to toward the end of ARR, you're set. Heavensward and beyond is pretty fantastic stuff for video game storytelling.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There's no doubt the game starts slow. But once you get to toward the end of ARR, you're set. Heavensward and beyond is pretty fantastic stuff for video game storytelling.

I played it in it's first month but I don't know if I could get past the MMO aspect. Not that you couldn't tell a good story from an MMO but from what I played they want to tell the story from a single player perspective but I find it a bit off putting when that's in an MMO and every other player with you is getting the same treatment. From what I've seen/played pretty much the entire genre does this.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I played it in it's first month but I don't know if I could get past the MMO aspect. Not that you couldn't tell a good story from an MMO but from what I played they want to tell the story from a single player perspective but I find it a bit off putting when that's in an MMO and every other player with you is getting the same treatment. From what I've seen/played pretty much the entire genre does this.

Later expansions actually provide an in-lore reason for there to be multiple warriors of light running around. But if this is your nitpick, I can think of a thousand immersion breaking details in pretty much every numbered FF.

And for what it’s worth, I hated MMOs before XIV, too. I tried to play WoW probably a half dozen times and never got more than a couple hours into it. I wound up sticking with XIV because people I respect were adamant about it having the best story of any mainline FF. And they were right.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Later expansions actually provide an in-lore reason for there to be multiple warriors of light running around. But if this is your nitpick, I can think of a thousand immersion breaking details in pretty much every numbered FF.

And for what it’s worth, I hated MMOs before XIV, too. I tried to play WoW probably a half dozen times and never got more than a couple hours into it. I wound up sticking with XIV because people I respect were adamant about it having the best story of any mainline FF. And they were right.

Yeah I don't want to derail the thread on various details and opinions but there's also a matter of a hefty time and financial investment to get caught up on all the expansions which is really the biggest hindrance (...though just double checking it on Steam I see it's only been two expansions, I thought there was lot more). Really I only had a key for the original because a few months before it was going to relaunch some years after that initial disastrous launch I found a boxed copy from the original launch in a Radio Shack for $10 so I thought why not.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Still very skeptical of XIV as well, especially how soulless the aesthetic looks (having a better sense of identity would go a long way), how poorly paced even advocates of the game make the "eventually gets good" storytelling sound (plus, I'm not sure how a 100+ hour experience is not going to feel bloated), and the nature of the way MMOs are designed in general (sort of doubling down on alot of the grindy busywork things that I don't like about even earlier FFs). Makes it really hard to work up enough enthusiasm to dive in.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Still very skeptical of XIV as well, especially how soulless the aesthetic looks (having a better sense of identity would go a long way), how poorly paced even advocates of the game make the "eventually gets good" storytelling sound (plus, I'm not sure how a 100+ hour experience is not going to feel bloated), and the nature of the way MMOs are designed in general (sort of doubling down on alot of the grindy busywork things that I don't like about even earlier FFs). Makes it really hard to work up enough enthusiasm to dive in.

Sharee, knowing your general taste in media is almost identical to mine, I know beyond a doubt you would like XIV. Ivalice itself is canon within the wider XIV universe, and Matsuno has written a lot of content for the game.

And it’s not like ARR is “bad.” It isn’t. It’s slow in the sense that the stakes of the story, and the true villains, take some time to be revealed. A lot of ARR lays the foundational world building the rest of the expansions capitalize on.

It really is one of the best stories the series has ever produced, surpassed only by Tactics, in my opinion. But it is an MMO at its core, and requires some degree of commitment.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've been playing FFXIV with friends over the last few months (just beat the Heavensward main story) and at this point I am skipping all dialogue and cutscenes. The only fun parts of the game for me are the multiplayer dungeons/raids/trials and the tedious questing between unlocking them is pretty rough. This is only worsened by the insane amount of story that ultimately just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game. I most likely would've quit the game long ago if I wasn't playing with friends.

Also 100+ hours is putting it very generously. I've reached the 100 hour mark already with minimal side questing, skipping all dialogue, and only one job leveled.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sharee, knowing your general taste in media is almost identical to mine, I know beyond a doubt you would like XIV. Ivalice itself is canon within the wider XIV universe, and Matsuno has written a lot of content for the game.

And it’s not like ARR is “bad.” It isn’t. It’s slow in the sense that the stakes of the story, and the true villains, take some time to be revealed. A lot of ARR lays the foundational world building the rest of the expansions capitalize on.

It really is one of the best stories the series has ever produced, surpassed only by Tactics, in my opinion. But it is an MMO at its core, and requires some degree of commitment.
The thing is, even if I assume that the story and writing is consistently great (which I'm skeptical of, but if you say so), I'm not sure even that would justify the commitment to everything else for me. I despise fetch quests, the fundamental way that MMOs are played/designed, and to some extent open-ish worlds and leveling systems altogether (unpopular opinion-- if it were up to me, Final Fantasy would have zero leveling/grindy encounters, period), and it feels like this is not a small enough element of the game that it can just be tolerated begrudgingly. Also, aesthetic is arguably more important than story to me, and it seems very bland in that regard.

I expect that the best case scenario is that it would be a constant tug-of-war between things that I love and things that I hate.

Do you think just watching movie-edits on Youtube would do the story justice?

Last edited:

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
The thing is, even if I assume that the story and writing is consistently great (which I'm skeptical of, but if you say so), I'm not sure even that would justify the commitment to everything else for me. I despise fetch quests, the fundamental way that MMOs are played/designed, and to some extent open-ish worlds and leveling systems altogether (unpopular opinion-- if it were up to me, Final Fantasy would have zero leveling/grindy encounters, period), and it feels like this is not a small enough element of the game that it can just be tolerated begrudgingly. Also, aesthetic is arguably more important than story to me, and it seems very bland in that regard.

I expect that the best case scenario is that it would be a constant tug-of-war between things that I love and things that I hate.

Do you think just watching movie-edits on Youtube would do the story justice?
I’m not typically an MMO fan either and wanted to experience FFXIV for the story and I’ve fallen in love with the game. I’m half way through Heavensward right now and have been blown away by many things including the aesthetic of a lot of the locations. Very little in the way of grinding too as playing the main quest alone will keep you over levelled. You can grind for special gear and what not but if you’re playing for the story, it’s not a grind fest, it’s a solo RPG game with multiplayer dungeons and trials. I’d recommend it to any fan of Final Fantasy because that’s all I was going in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad