All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Need to redo the voices...and the dialog in general. Tweak the battle system so you don't need to cycle and defend all the characters in every battle so they all get experience.

THANK YOU

This is by far my least favourite part of the game. I love the world and the music but that aspect almost ruins the game for me. Its insanity that you're forced to needlessly prolong random encounters for the party to properly level up.

Reactions: Jovavic

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That sounds like it'd be a bit jarring to control Cloud in the field (which would be necessary for some of the story breadcrumbs) but not in battle, though, doesn't it (on top of the story being told from the POV of cloud)? What would be the benefit of that over just controlling both?
I might be misremembering some of the OG, and have been trying (and failing) to go back and see what Max was pitching, but I think he was referring only to the slice of the flashback that was shown in the earlier trailer of Rebirth. And then the idea of controlling Sephiroth would be just as a jarring start, perhaps with him being OP in an opening battle or something.

Now that I am spinning it out, I am not sure how much sense it would make. Although they've already given away a lot, I don't know that the game could open with such a long cutscene.

In any case, I am not too wedded to it, and if anything, the opening of the new trailer suggests something different. On that front, though:
I'm a little worried by the implications of this initial scene. At first I thought it might be a Shinra coverup, but I'm more convinced that it's some kind of connection to Zach and (presumably) his separate timeline. I think that might be fine, but I've seen speculation about some kind of party in his TL where it's him with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge, and I hope that anything done in that direction would be minimal, with the bulk of the story remaining on the original party, similar to what Remake pulled off.

Setting that aside, I do wonder about the two discs thing. It could be marketing with data and play discs like many games have now, but it would be strange to feature that in such a prominent trailer. I do think that the main plot has to go up to the Northern Crater, and while I have little idea how data works, I imagine that could cover such a wide expanse, especially if Chocobo and Gold Saucer stuff are pretty involved.

The other thought I had was maybe that Wutai would be involved somehow, given that I assume Yuffie will be more thoroughly incorporated into the party early on, and not be an optional character in the way she is in OG. I really have very little idea about Wutai because it's one of the parts of OG I barely touched, so I don't know how they'd do it, but it just struck me that it could provide an explanation for a huge data file, alongside all the other locations.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Is anyone still playing FFXIV? I’ve been on a break for a few months. Was most of the way through Stormblood but got a bit of tank anxiety and haven’t revisited it yet. All of this Final Fantasy hype is making me wanna get back into it soon
I still play it from time to time. I need to play the 6.4 patch though, but I have really enjoyed the game for a long time.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I think the logical end is Meteorfall, after Cloud gets yeeted into the lifestream and everything is throw into chaos. Then part three would start off during the public execution.

This tweet makes an interesting observation about Junon.

Given that and how Squeenix is advertising two discs, this might be a real long entry. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they take it right up to where disc 2 ends in OG and North Crater ends up being it's own game like Midgar.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Nah, Junon is very early in the story regardless of where they cut it off. It's probably the first significant extended thing that happens after the flashback opener. If it ends at Northern Crater, it's probably not even the 1/4 point. If you look in a walkthrough, it's the 3rd area out of like 15 between Kalm and the Crater.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For someone who never played FFVII and Remake was my first instalment and I loved every second of it, should I buy Crisis Core for Rebirth?

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
For someone who never played FFVII and Remake was my first instalment and I loved every second of it, should I buy Crisis Core for Rebirth?
I must've played VII hundreds of times and of course the remake, and havnt touched Crisis Core yet lol
I do know the jist of it and was told to give it a go. So I'd say, yeah do it up! Itl shore up the stories better n shit.

Reactions: S E P H

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If you loved every second of FF7 then absolutely. It's gives you a lot more information on certain characters. Especially one in the 2nd part of the Remake.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ah okay, then how would you describe it? Is it more of an RPG style like the original one?
It's hard to explain haha, this video does a pretty good job showing it off though. I mean it's kinda similar to FF7 the Remake, but, not exactly. If that makes sense.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
This is going to be confusing...but I thought the story in the Crisis Core remake is the same as the original, which matches up with the original FF7, and not the Remake since they changed it

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There's very contentious and ambiguous debate about that at the moment.

People who played the original generally think it's a bad idea, because it very casually spoils what is by far the most pivotal plot point that everything in the story builds towards (NOT the thing that everyone already knows through osmosis, for the record). It's kind of baffling to us why they're encouraging people new to Remake to play it, because it would be insane not to properly adapt the best part of the story and preserve the impact of that moment.

However, people who don't know this have enjoyed themselves just fine and the developers are pushing for that for some reason (maybe just for the short-sighted gain? Who knows). The reason is because it isn't apparent yet that the thing that it casually spoils was being built up as even a question-mark yet in the first part of Remake, so it won't seem like a big deal/register as an issue to you as you're playing it.

Basically, we don't know yet-- it's fine in the moment, but might screw you over down the line, depending on how much they keep/change or how interested you are in the original story.

I would also argue that it's not a fraction as good as either OG or Remake.
This is going to be confusing...but I thought the story in the Crisis Core remake is the same as the original, which matches up with the original FF7, and not the Remake since they changed it
It's relevant to both-- the thing that they changed only affects the final moments of Crisis Core, and Crisis Core gives you some context for why that change is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic and S E P H

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I would advocate playing the original FFVII if anyone is on the fence about it. I never played it when I was younger and don't regularly play retro games now, but I enjoyed every moment of it and actually just decided to replay it last week, so I am working through a fresh playthrough on Switch this summer, while following a guide.

I also never played the original Crisis Core and think it's 50/50 whether it's worth playing it or not. I agree with @Shareefruck that it's nowhere near OG or Remake, so skipping it won't be missing out on much of anything, which is partly why I am chirping up to advocate playing OG if it's of any interest. I have the new Crisis Core and have had some ok times with it. The combo is mostly like Remake, but I find the pacing of the game to be really off-putting, and the dialogue is borderline atrocious most of the time. I'm still trying to soldier through it, but given that I have started a replay of OG and will pick up FF16 when I get back home (I'm traveling for the month right now), I may just leave it unfinished.

In short, I would just say that if you are craving FF7 content and willing to try out OG, it's well worth the time. If you want something similar to Remake, Crisis Core is alright, with the caveats about the downsides in mind. Just as a game, I don't think Crisis Core is worth rushing out and playing ASAP. I bought it at launch but have only put 10-12 hours in.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Currently playing through Crisis Core Reunion. Loved the original on PSP and am really enjoying myself with the remake.

I'm a bit of a weird case though cause I never had the original as a kid. I remember giving it a good go when they release the PSP port, and it's in my Steam library (can't remember buying it) but I never finished it. After Crisis Core I can't decide whether to give it another crack, upgrade my PC and try remake, or just stay happy with CC and play all the other games I've got lined up. I'm not big into RPGs (trying to try a few different ones though) so to me CC is a great self-contained experience with fun combat that I can just jam.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Beat XVI last week

Found out I had saved data from XV that I started 2 years ago that was at chapter 4 at 45 hours played. Decided to jump back i still have my PS+ or whatever.....
Holy damn this game is fun, but overwhelming... so many side quests , so much large area... it's like GTA FF. Always something to do. I keep hearing the ending sucks and story goes sour... just at chapter 8 now, and honestly I'm having loads of fun going around doing quests and dungeons and shit. Slowly figuring out how to f*** enemies up. Still confused at the "kings weapons" stuff you find in tombs.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The gameplay in XV is good enough but mostly everything else is awful. I did buy the deluxe edition when it came out that gave you access to all the future DLC and I never bothered with any of them lol.

Unless they patched it, there's a way to get massive EXP by fusing your magic with I think they're coins, just stalk a dropship and when they all drop and are in a tight group blast them with the spell then when you finish them off you'll gain a bunch of levels.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
The gameplay in XV is good enough but mostly everything else is awful. I did buy the deluxe edition when it came out that gave you access to all the future DLC and I never bothered with any of them lol.

Unless they patched it, there's a way to get massive EXP by fusing your magic with I think they're coins, just stalk a dropship and when they all drop and are in a tight group blast them with the spell then when you finish them off you'll gain a bunch of levels.
Just looked into it. Haha that crazy! Rare coins fused with magic+ eating that double stacked ham Sammy and moogle ring. Good times.

Reactions: Jovavic

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If you haven't ever played the original FFVII, and only played Remake, it would probably be better not to play Crisis Core as it is pretty much all spoiler stuff for what is coming in Rebirth.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I have bought a physical copy of the Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Collection on the Nintendo Switch.

I still can't believe Square Enix opted to have a very limited physical release. The only exception being Asia and only for the Switch version so nothing for those on PS4.

Reactions: Metroid

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I only have twitter on my phone at the moment and use HF on my desktop, so I can't link, but looks like they just announced that there will be an Ever Crisis Steam version. Probably expected, but honestly a relief for someone like me who wants to play the game but absolutely cannot be bothered to play some mobile game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Sounds like the FFT and FF9 remakes could both be 2024 as well.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad