News Article: All-Purpose Evander Kane Discussion, Part II Update: On unconditional waivers for termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Dude will finally make the Olympic team

Dude couldn't keep within the reasonable covid restrictions of north america. What chance does he have of staying in bounds of the apparently much harsher isolation/restrictive requirements that the Olympics are going to be using?

That'd be asking for trouble.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
If Skinner could play every game the way he plays against the Sharks he'd be a 120 point player.
steamed-hams-superintendent.gif

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Dude couldn't keep within the reasonable covid restrictions of north america. What chance does he have of staying in bounds of the apparently much harsher isolation/restrictive requirements that the Olympics are going to be using?

That'd be asking for trouble.

He'd be stuck in China. Oh no.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I would love for the cap space to used to keep Hertl but…

The logical part of my brain knows part of the Sharks problems is the number of long term and big money contracts and swapping them doesn’t really improve the Sharks’ flexibility moving forward.

Reactions: tealzamboni

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
The big info from Friedman seems to indicate this could be challenged:

"According to several sources, there is a dispute over a flight to Vancouver on Dec. 29, while in the 10-day AHL protocol — whether or not Kane had medical clearance to do it.

There is also a dispute on his return to the Barracuda. The Sharks allege he was supposed to be back on Dec. 31, and didn’t return until Jan. 6."

The fact that Daly said the league is confident in the Sharks' case, though, certainly helps me feel better. It'll be so nice to not have this guy as part of the organization anymore.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The big info from Friedman seems to indicate this could be challenged:

"According to several sources, there is a dispute over a flight to Vancouver on Dec. 29, while in the 10-day AHL protocol — whether or not Kane had medical clearance to do it.

There is also a dispute on his return to the Barracuda. The Sharks allege he was supposed to be back on Dec. 31, and didn’t return until Jan. 6."

The fact that Daly said the league is confident in the Sharks' case, though, certainly helps me feel better. It'll be so nice to not have this guy as part of the organization anymore.
I see... So probably he tested negative or something and thought it was fine to travel... But the AHL protocols specify 10 days and the flight was on the 8th or 9th?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Who would take a player with multiple covid violations (aside from a myriad of other issues) while the virus rampages through the country and there's speculation the league won't get through the season?

I agree that's the common narrative about Kane. He does have a reputation. He does have a history. And he may or may not be a good person.

But picking out the key actions in the story:
1. Gets on hot seat due to a tweet, league investigates, no conclusion because tweeter didn't respond
2. Gets suspended via a brief league statement, tweets afterward suggests the crime involved breaking protocol
3. Returns from suspension, goes to a lower league, goes on protocol, brief league statement says he broke protocol with no further details, contract terminated

Unless the league shares more details, the NHLPA protests any of the actions, or government investigates accusations of such wild behavior, the only concrete outcomes are:
1. His financial/legal situation likely benefits a lot
2. Sharks clear cap space
3. NHL doesn't have to talk about what crazy things players might do off the ice on road trips

This isn't to defend Kane as I'm pro-tank. :sarcasm: It's just an observation that amid the process and all these stories, the only real outcome is a win-win-win for player-team-league.

As for him playing this season: If an NHL team signs him, the paper trail just says that he violated protocol twice. The first time he paid for his crime via suspension. The second time he paid for it with contract termination. Unless the exact details come out, the new team just has to keep Kane out of the news and say he's been "following team rules and protocol."

And his new agent has a lot of Russian (in the NHL) clients. So, presumably the agent is plugged into available opportunities.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I would love for the cap space to used to keep Hertl but…

The logical part of my brain knows part of the Sharks problems is the number of long term and big money contracts and swapping them doesn’t really improve the Sharks’ flexibility moving forward.

Instead of buying that fancy new car, I hope they invest it in their (stealth) tank. :sarcasm: Maybe use the cap space to move other big contracts with some retention.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The thread is good info but this specific tweet seems to cover what we all actually care about and that's that Kane is no longer a Shark even if he wins his grievance.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think the most disappointing thing about the Kane saga in San Jose is that off the ice he showed so much promise that he had "changed his ways" and would be a great role model in the community and especially for minority hockey players.

Think about all these great Kane moments from early in his tenure:
  • Jumbo picks him up at the airport
  • scores 4 goals in a game right away and celebrates each one ecstatically
  • dons the rally helmet in multiple shootouts
  • Volunteered his time for like every community outreach event
He finally looked like a guy you wanted to cheer for and then pulled the rug.

Good riddance, but as Nem said, i hope he figures it out

Reactions: one2gamble

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

The thread is good info but this specific tweet seems to cover what we all actually care about and that's that Kane is no longer a Shark even if he wins his grievance.

And not just the team's Covid protocols, as this guys says, but the league's and, in fact, beyond that, isn't faking a vaccination card a federal crime? And doesn't Canada have strict rules about Covid-positive folks entering the country?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman with more specifics. And apparently there are teams out there who want to sign him if he clears waivers. NHL/NHLPA may have to work out something if the Sharks do lose grievance as he'd then have two NHL deals.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Methinks the league wants rid of this headache, for whatever benefit that may provide the Sharks.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Agreed, Kane is done as a Shark. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Mike Richards style settlement where San Jose ends up paying Kane $ and taking the resulting cap hit over the payment period.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think the most disappointing thing about the Kane saga in San Jose is that off the ice he showed so much promise that he had "changed his ways" and would be a great role model in the community and especially for minority hockey players.

Think about all these great Kane moments from early in his tenure:
  • Jumbo picks him up at the airport
  • scores 4 goals in a game right away and celebrates each one ecstatically
  • dons the rally helmet in multiple shootouts
  • Volunteered his time for like every community outreach event
He finally looked like a guy you wanted to cheer for and then pulled the rug.

Good riddance, but as Nem said, i hope he figures it out

I have no doubt that the HDA was a part of his dream, and that being one of its founders was something he long felt he could be proud of.

That the group had long since distanced themselves from him, and Kane's "they only hate me because all Winnipeg/Buffalo/San Jose people are racist" cries ran out of gravity, only adds to the tragedy of his failure. Indeed, now hockey's racists have a mountain of extra ammunition, making Kane a net loss in the one cause he seemed to care about.

Having said all that, let me just say on behalf of all Jets fans, that we are emphatically cheering for you and we hope you prevail in the upcoming grievance appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad