News Article: All-Purpose Evander Kane Discussion, Part II Update: On unconditional waivers for termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up until this is 100% official. Kane is gonna fight this and it'll drag out. Peak Sharks to get our hopes up and then this gets overturned and we're stuck with him again.
On the other hand, it's been like an hour and there's been no inklings or reports of the NHLPA filing a grievance. Seems like something they'd be all over the moment the press release happened.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This team with Hertl on it is not good enough to make the playoffs in a weak division let alone contend for a Cup. It makes no sense to keep him.

I mean, yeah, in a vacuum where literally nothing changes, sure.

But with more cap space, Eklund joining the team next year, rookies coming in (I know, I know, they’re all garbage according to you, but whatever), etc., there’s a world where the team can get better fairly quickly.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up until this is 100% official. Kane is gonna fight this and it'll drag out. Peak Sharks to get our hopes up and then this gets overturned and we're stuck with him again.
I'm reading that a likely outcome is the players Association files a grievance and they reach a monetary settlement...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean, yeah, in a vacuum where literally nothing changes, sure.

But with more cap space, Eklund joining the team next year, rookies coming in (I know, I know, they’re all garbage according to you, but whatever), etc., there’s a world where the team can get better fairly quickly.

Even in the ideal scenario where every prospect develops perfectly it'll take at least 2-3 years for those players to become part of the core at which point Hertl is 32 years old while Karlsson and Couture are in their late 30s. The timeline doesn't work.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even in the ideal scenario where every prospect develops perfectly it'll take at least 2-3 years for those players to become part of the core at which point Hertl is 32 years old while Karlsson and Couture are in their late 30s. The timeline doesn't work.
If every prospect develops perfectly I don't think we need to worry about Hertl, Couture and Karlsson because they'll be playing way down the lineup.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Um, I'd give them a little more than an hour.
I feel like any time there's been a contract dispute or fine or suspension, the reports from the media will be like "player xxx is in trouble, NHLPA will also file a grievance" nobody in the media is really talking about the possibility right now.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If every prospect develops perfectly I don't think we need to worry about Hertl, Couture and Karlsson because they'll be playing way down the lineup.

You would have to worry about Hertl, Couture and Karlsson's $30 million cap hit when those prospects need new contracts.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
He wouldn't have given all of it up. A good portion, but not all. And while there's teh chance that his new financial situation causes his bankruptcy proceedings to be adjusted as a result, it's entirely possible/probable that for his own financial health he would've been smarter to take that money, use the bulk of it to pay off as much debt as he could, and then be under significantly less weight/pressure moving forward.

IIRC in the past year there were tidbits about his legal team making moves to shelter some of his assets. It sounds like he has debt discharge, creditor lawsuit, and divorce (?) on his plate. A contract termination may help finish off the first two. And I assume it goes a long ways to making the third more financially manageable (unless some timely tweets surface again).

Just got out of one albatross contract, it's time to immediately sign another.

Unfortunately this really is how Doug Wilson thinks.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any agent-related connection to any upcoming moves.
Oster loses Kane as a client and Sharks make up for it with a mega extension to Hertl?
Or Sharks do something with Barabanov to reward Milstein for taking on Kane?
Or maybe it's just future favors to consider a client in FA/draft.
Contracts by Agent | Puckpedia
Contracts by Agent | Puckpedia

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Also I would like to keep Hertl because he is big and can protect the new wave of undersized Sharks prospects like Eklund and Bordeleau and Halbgewach. Kinda like how Alex Killorn and Ondrej Palat protect Kucherov and Point.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So... Is this ironclad? Does a team need approval from the NHL or any other governing body before moving forward with a termination?

I imagine if it's been announced by the team that everything's in order except a rubber stamp from the league. Even if the PA files a grievance it won't reverse the decision and would likely only look for some sort of compensation or restoration of at least some of his lost earnings. So short of something completely unprecedented happening I think we can safely assume it's fait accompli at this point.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My head says still trade Hertl for assets to help the rebuild.

My heart says that we all know this team won't do a proper rebuild and that young teams still need quality veteran leadership and some amount of skill to not put all the pressure on the young guys. And Hertl is a great guy to do those things. If the team can find a fair deal to keep him around and he wants to be part of the next wave I'd be all for it.

Of course the wild card is whether Hertl himself would rather stick around or leave to chase a cup.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad