News Article: All-Purpose Evander Kane Discussion, Part II Update: On unconditional waivers for termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You would have to worry about Hertl, Couture and Karlsson's $30 million cap hit when those prospects need new contracts.
A lot of things will change in the makeup of the team and league by that time. There’s no reason to be overly concerned with retaining Hertl, Couture and Karlsson from a financial standpoint at this or that time.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Don't they need to call it contract breach in order to put him on unconditional waivers right now?

My guess if this goes through, no team is going to claim him. They will wait until he clears, and the Sharks reach a settlement agreement with Kane's agent. Then a team will pick him up for $800k to $1.5m depending upon Kane's view of that team winning the cup.

It will be short term contract, as Kane resolves his court issues. Then look for Kane to go shopping for a larger contract.

I figure that DW is colluding with Kane on periphery with regards to lowering his bankruptcy settlement. That's why he appears to be hiding out, absent from Sharks operations. All because of "loyalty", but being a long time STH in split plans with friends, and then my own, where's is my loyalty payment from DW?

Reactions: tealzamboni

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I imagine if it's been announced by the team that everything's in order except a rubber stamp from the league. Even if the PA files a grievance it won't reverse the decision and would likely only look for some sort of compensation or restoration of at least some of his lost earnings. So short of something completely unprecedented happening I think we can safely assume it's fait accompli at this point.

Yes, as I've said that's what I've been reading. He still has the opportunity to recoup a percentage of his contract, but he's 100% done with the Sharks.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Don't they need to call it contract breach in order to put him on unconditional waivers right now?

My guess if this goes through, no team is going to claim him. They will wait until he clears, and the Sharks reach a settlement agreement with Kane's agent. Then a team will pick him up for $800k to $1.5m depending upon Kane's view of that team winning the cup.

It will be short term contract, as Kane resolves his court issues. Then look for Kane to go shopping for a larger contract.
Who would take a player with multiple covid violations (aside from a myriad of other issues) while the virus rampages through the country and there's speculation the league won't get through the season?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Who would take a player with multiple covid violations (aside from a myriad of other issues) while the virus rampages through the country and there's speculation the league won't get through the season?

Teams that put winning above all else. They had employ wife beaters to win throughout league history.

Reactions: tealzamboni

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

And has locker rooms issues forcing him off THREE NHL teams?

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011

Antonio Brown helped the Bucs win the SB last season. Some team might take a chance that Kane's talent will push them over the top this season and then kick him to the curb at the end of the season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't imagine anyone takes him for the rest of this season. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the league moves to suspend him for the remainder of the season given that he's now violated health & safety protocols twice since last summer. He's clearly shown a pattern of behavior that would endanger any signing team's ability to get through the rest of this season and given how things have gone that is likely what the NHL values above all else.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
My head says still trade Hertl for assets to help the rebuild.

My heart says that we all know this team won't do a proper rebuild and that young teams still need quality veteran leadership and some amount of skill to not put all the pressure on the young guys. And Hertl is a great guy to do those things. If the team can find a fair deal to keep him around and he wants to be part of the next wave I'd be all for it.

Of course the wild card is whether Hertl himself would rather stick around or leave to chase a cup.

I'm getting the strong feeling the Hertl is really considering leaving. Unless Doug can pull some moves out of his ass that suddenly give this team a significant boost...

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
so what do we do with the $7.5M cap savings? Trade for Eichel?

oops, too late for that.

If they don't sell off this season then it probably goes towards a top 6 forward next season. I hope Wilson is doing well but it's not going to be long before they need to address whether or not they're going to be trading Hertl, Barabanov, Cogliano, and maybe Reimer. They're in such a spot where a good run keeps them in playoff contention but then you can't lose Hertl for nothing in July.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
My head says still trade Hertl for assets to help the rebuild.

My heart says that we all know this team won't do a proper rebuild and that young teams still need quality veteran leadership and some amount of skill to not put all the pressure on the young guys. And Hertl is a great guy to do those things. If the team can find a fair deal to keep him around and he wants to be part of the next wave I'd be all for it.

Of course the wild card is whether Hertl himself would rather stick around or leave to chase a cup.
I'm worried if we strip it down too much we will end up like the Yotes or Sabres.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
monty-python-rejoice.gif

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Burns is going to have to eat the minstrels.

First off, sorry to see Kane in this state. I believe it’s highly likely he’s dealing with some sort of emotional/mental/personality disorder that may or may not be from putting his body/brain on the line for my/our entertainment. He’s clearly made some (read as: so many) really bad decisions. Maybe it stems purely from arrogance rather than disorder, but without all the facts I’m sorry to see the way things are going for him. Maybe he ‘deserves’ it but I can’t help but hope he can get his on track and begin righting some wrongs. I’ll miss Evander Kane the player. That said, should this be the conclusion to Kane’s SJ story, I’ll be incredibly grateful.

Wow, $7M in cap room, that doesn’t suck. Almost completely changes what your strategy could be. The imminent question now is Hertl. Maybe you could sign Hertl and a legit top 6 forward/EK65 partner in free agency, while adding Eklund, Merkley, and maybe one of the more NHL ready guys like Geekie.

Agree that moving Hertl might still be the right decision, but without paying $3.5+ (Possible) assets to move Kane it does give a bit more room that signing Hertl doesn’t complete ruin the cap situation.

Reactions: Groo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad