Favorite Type Of Goldfish

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Ok, I need to know if I'm crazy, or if the world just sucks.

Ive been calling a ton of masonry places and electricians to get estimates for work on the inspection. Usually, when someone answers the phone at their office its "Hey this is Karen at So and So, how can I help you?". I always say something like "Good morning Karen, how are you today?" instead of just "i need an estimate", but i'm finding that people are really taken aback by that. All i get is "Good, how can i help you?" type responses.

Does anyone else feel the need to greet someone theyre callin before just jumping in? Or is that just me?

Seriously, though, I try to always put that open-ended question out there. For the 99% of people who will professionally say, "Good" or other brief reply, there is every once in awhile the person who will express true appreciation for this kindness. And even among those who give the quick answer, there are probably a number who are grateful for even the most basic of civility.

There are limits, though: I worked for a boss who was going through a messy divorce (most of the employees got hauled into court after the company went bankrupt to testify that he didn't tank on purpose). We had a teleconference with an educational sponsor, who asked how we were doing, and my boss blurts out that he is getting divorced. I was dumbfounded. To the credit of the gentleman on the other end, he expressed an appropriate level of sympathy and support and we moved on.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Seriously, though, I try to always put that open-ended question out there. For the 99% of people who will professionally say, "Good" or other brief reply, there is every once in awhile the person who will express true appreciation for this kindness. And even among those who give the quick answer, there are probably a number who are grateful for even the most basic of civility.

There are limits, though: I worked for a boss who was going through a messy divorce (most of the employees got hauled into court after the company went bankrupt to testify that he didn't tank on purpose). We had a teleconference with an educational sponsor, who asked how we were doing, and my boss blurts out that he is getting divorced. I was dumbfounded. To the credit of the gentleman on the other end, he expressed an appropriate level of sympathy and support and we moved on.

Oh, for sure, it could go down a rabbithole quick. I have some vendors who im comfortable saying "today sucks" to when i talk, and everyone else gets a "As well as I can be stuck in the house!" or something similar right now, to lighten things up a little. I work in business, but I just have a hard time being 100% business from the get go. Even on calls where im getting ready to light someone up, i still try to maintain some semblance of care/concern.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
@Cody Webster you ever get those new walking shoes?
I did. They are beautiful. So light and breathable. That model is no longer available, but they did just drop the new models this week
IMG_20200423_162631.jpg

Reactions: VladDrag

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I guess I can't post from my work computer anymore...

I may not always start off with the question but my tone of voice and light jokes usually do the trick. I always try to break the ice with a silly little joke or comment to relax people. Right now it's usually something along the lines of '"How's the Apocalypse treating you?"

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I’m the same way. An ounce of politeness goes a long way.

I'm an INTJ, so it usually goes like this:

"Season's Pizza. How can I help you?"

Me: "Gimme food."

I once had a place called Dominick's Pizza call me and ask if I placed an order. Mind you, it was 11:30 am on a Saturday. I said, "No, but since you have me on the phone, I'll have a..." Can't remember what I ordered, but it was probably a metric ton of something.

About 20 years ago, I had problems with an IBM laptop. I called customer support in Atlanta and wasn't satisfied with their level of effort. I went full-Karen and eventually reached a manager in their complaints department. Long story short, in three weeks I had her naked in my condo in Delaware.

Yes, I live vicariously through myself...at least my past self.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, it is a fact that having no lockdown makes the disease kill more and for longer. That is how every disease, ever, has worked. We have numerous centuries of experience confirming this.

Haha sorry man, but that’s just inaccurate. Like anything in nature, burn faster and drop faster. When you take measures to slow things down it will just prolong whatever it is you are dealing with. I don’t know what to tell you. Plenty of plots of past flus where nothing was locked down and there is a clear peak and drop. There will be a lingering infection rate from the counties like New Zealand vs if there was a country that had herd immunity. Either way, best to keep the curve down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haha sorry man, but that’s just inaccurate. Like anything in nature, burn faster and drop faster. When you take measures to slow things down it will just prolong whatever it is you are dealing with. I don’t know what to tell you. Plenty of plots of past flus where nothing was locked down and there is a clear peak and drop. There will be a lingering infection rate from the counties like New Zealand vs if there was a country that had herd immunity. Either way, best to keep the curve down.

Herd immunity will be a million plus dead in America. Which is why major outbreaks are never allowed to proceed to that point.

There is partial immunity to the flu, both due to vaccines and because a sizeable proportion of the population has been exposed to similar flus in the past (that is, a variant that hasn't come around for a couple decades still faces sizeable cohorts that were exposed to a similar variant in the past). That is why we don't lock down for flus, 60K (the worst flus) may sound like a lot of dead, but we hit that with COVID weeks ago and we still only have 4% of the population potentially immune (still to be determined) and 100K dead already. COVID is an order of magnitude more dangerous than any flu since 1918.

If we ever get a virulent flu for which there is no partial immunity and no vaccine, we'll do the same thing we're doing with COVID, hopefully we'll be better prepared with a legitimate POTUS, not a GO in charge.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The article you posted states

"The first report of a coronavirus-related death in the United States came on Feb. 29 in the Seattle area, although officials there later discovered that two people who had died Feb. 26 also had the virus.

But Santa Clara County officials said that autopsies of two people who died at their homes on Feb. 6 and Feb. 17 showed that the individuals were infected with the virus."

Taking the two most extreme dates from that article shows 23 days vs the two months you stated.

And by the time if those deaths know the 29th the presence of the virus and human transmission within the US was well established.

From what we know of the virus, death doesn’t usually occur until around day 10 from the cytokine storm. That day 10 starts from when pts have symptoms which is anywhere from 3 weeks in northern China right now to 4 days. So even if it’s 4 days, that’s 4 day latent period + 10 days till people tank. 14 days till you tank from exposure. So 2 weeks from feb 6 is Jan 23. This was just a couple of normal older people. No one travelled or had known exposure to people that traveled. So someone else gave it to them more than likely. I’m sure it was there in early January at the latest. NY doesn’t have a 20% antibody rate from lockdown. It’s more logical they got it before the lockdown. The first cases in China that were documented were around November. With limited people knowing it at the time. Once we all get antibody testing I’m sure it will be a lot more clear than putting parts together now.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Herd immunity will be a million plus dead in America. Which is why major outbreaks are never allowed to proceed to that point.

There is partial immunity to the flu, both due to vaccines and because a sizeable proportion of the population has been exposed to similar flus in the past (that is, a variant that hasn't come around for a couple decades still faces sizeable cohorts that were exposed to a similar variant in the past). That is why we don't lock down for flus, 60K (the worst flus) may sound like a lot of dead, but we hit that with COVID weeks ago and we still only have 4% of the population potentially immune (still to be determined) and 100K dead already. COVID is an order of magnitude more dangerous than any flu since 1918.

If we ever get a virulent flu for which there is no partial immunity and no vaccine, we'll do the same thing we're doing with COVID, hopefully we'll be better prepared with a legitimate POTUS, not a GO in charge.

Yea I never said herd immunity would be the way to go for this. Just what it would look like. And agreed. This is just a warning shot. Thank god kids are so rarely effected. Or if you have something like polio or that other virus last year causing paralysis. I think society would break like a twig.

Reactions: Defect

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Is this a joke?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

and to add...the US has that amount of deaths with Covid WHILE all these lockdowns have been in place and it only being less than 3 months since the 1st death(Feb 29th). So imaging how bad it would be without all the lockdowns.

We all saw a glimpse of how bad things could be when we saw Italy. No one wanted that.

Deaths by month for US:

Feb: 1
Mar: 5150
Apr: 58,705
May so far: 31,080

So April with full lockdowns still was almost as bad as the worst flu total for a year with no lockdown. Easily 100,000+ of Americans would have died in April with no lockdowns

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
and to add...the US has that amount of deaths with Covid WHILE all these lockdowns have been in place and it only being less than 3 months since the 1st death(Feb 29th). So imaging how bad it would be without all the lockdowns.

We all saw a glimpse of how bad things could be when we saw Italy. No one wanted that.

Deaths by month for US:

So April with full lockdowns still was almost as bad as the worst flu total for a year with no lockdown. Easily 100,000+ of Americans would have died in April with no lockdowns

Noone is actually dying. Democratic hoax flooooooooooo lollllllllll

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
From what we know of the virus, death doesn’t usually occur until around day 10 from the cytokine storm. That day 10 starts from when pts have symptoms which is anywhere from 3 weeks in northern China right now to 4 days. So even if it’s 4 days, that’s 4 day latent period + 10 days till people tank. 14 days till you tank from exposure. So 2 weeks from feb 6 is Jan 23. This was just a couple of normal older people. No one travelled or had known exposure to people that traveled. So someone else gave it to them more than likely. I’m sure it was there in early January at the latest. NY doesn’t have a 20% antibody rate from lockdown. It’s more logical they got it before the lockdown. The first cases in China that were documented were around November. With limited people knowing it at the time. Once we all get antibody testing I’m sure it will be a lot more clear than putting parts together now.

You also have to consider how expotential growth occurs.
The first few weeks, starting from a few infected individuals, you don't have large numbers of infected, which is what we saw in January and February, as a Seattle study showed, testing flu samples, there was almost no one infected in Seattle in February.

Thread by @trvrb: There is a lot of Twitter chatter surrounding a rumor that circulation of #COVID19 in California in fall 2019 has resulted in herd immunity.…

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
"They won't need the dead to rise since they get all the illegals to vote!"
The rigged election/illegal voting schtick is going to get out of hand.

“Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election,” Trump tweeted. “This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!”

Trump misstates Michigan mail-in ballot policy, threatens federal funding

Reactions: Starat327

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Deaths by month for US:

It would likely be 3 times more.

Basically what is happening is exactly what was predicted. Everyone with common sense said if social distancing and closing non-essential businesses actually works, it will feel to some that it was an overreaction. They arent intelligent enough to put 2 and 2 together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad