Would you rather...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
How often do you check?

This depends on how well you know your grill and what you're working with, gas or coals. Each grill is going to have hot spots, so I typically use them for the first part of the cooking process on each side. Really need to get a good char on the outside, so on my grill at home I go back left corner but on my grill at the beach I need to go on the grates on the sides of the grill. This could take about 2-3 minutes per side. I then move them over to a non-hot spot for an additional 5-6 minutes. That total 10-12 minutes should get you a nice medium/medium well.

The main goal is to flip them/move them as least amount of times as possible and don't squash them. I might turn mine 3 times total and cheese goes right after the third flip. Also. start with a "well" in the center of the burger that is face up the first time you drop it. The easiest way to do that is to form the burger and then use the back side of a spoon by pushing it into the center to make the well. This will give you higher edges. By the time you flip after the first 2-3 minutes, you should have a nice flat surface on both sides rather than an erupting volcano in the middle.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This depends on how well you know your grill and what you're working with, gas or coals. Each grill is going to have hot spots, so I typically use them for the first part of the cooking process on each side. Really need to get a good char on the outside, so on my grill at home I go back left corner but on my grill at the beach I need to go on the grates on the sides of the grill. This could take about 2-3 minutes per side. I then move them over to a non-hot spot for an additional 5-6 minutes. That total 10-12 minutes should get you a nice medium/medium well.

The main goal is to flip them/move them as least amount of times as possible and don't squash them. I might turn mine 3 times total and cheese goes right after the third flip. Also. start with a "well" in the center of the burger that is face up the first time you drop it. The easiest way to do that is to form the burger and then use the back side of a spoon by pushing it into the center to make the well. This will give you higher edges. By the time you flip after the first 2-3 minutes, you should have a nice flat surface on both sides rather than an erupting volcano in the middle.

Ive been grilling for years so I know most of these tips (dent the burger, dont smoosh them, etc). However I always cook lid open and I have heard you should get a char on each side then close the lid. Do you close at all?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like spring break in Florida out along the Surekill river banks today. Lots of Pences with no masks....

Hopefully, COVID took the day off....

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Damn shame. Rest in Power to her. You have my sincerest condolences.

The statue was designed for a scene in Rocky III and was then donated to the city. Its not like the city had it built to pay homage lol. No one worships at its alter, but it does sort of act as a tribute to the underdog mentality of the city. Its just a tourist attraction at the end of the day.
Ive got no problem with the statue itself.
I grew up in the Italian Market so I understand where the sentiment comes from.
But in relation to the context of my original point
I just think its...interesting I guess that a movie prop is immediately picked up by the city and assigned this unearned symbolism while it took over 30 years longer for an actual Philly legend and one of the greatest athletes of all time in Frazier to get the same.
Seems goofy to me.

Frazier's life is a better, and more visceral, encapsulation of the Philadelphia mindset than a 2 hr Stallone fan fic could ever be.
But maybe thats just me.
Then you look back at context that surrounded the statue's early days (mid 80's, Rizzo as mayor) and the puzzle pieces start to fall into place.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Ive been grilling for years so I know most of these tips (dent the burger, dont smoosh them, etc). However I always cook lid open and I have heard you should get a char on each side then close the lid. Do you close at all?

I do close the lid the entire time when I'm home, but the grill at the beach is super fickle. The middle burners need to be on high to do anything and the edge burners need to be on low or they will roast everything near them. We've had that place for two years and it is has been quite the learning experience trying to figure it out. It has a thermometer on the lid and it will regularly shoot up to over 500 if you leave the lid down too long. I usually stay around the grill and check on the temp and play with the knobs.

At home I typically only cook plain boneless skinless chicken breasts, since I try to eat healthy when I'm home. That is easy. Throw is on the grill, close lid, flip after about 5-7 minutes, and after another 5-7 minutes flip again and rotate the pieces for another 5-7 minutes.

I do my "fun" cooking at the beach. We have a compound of about 7 houses in our area that brings about 30 people to our house for dinner on a regular basis. Last Memorial Day I made about 75 Chicken Burger sliders, so that was an experience trying to cook them all on that grill. Had an intense rotation going, so the lid was never closed long enough to create an inferno. I had four different kinds going, Western (Cheddar, Onion Rings, and BBQ sauce), CBR (American, Bacon, Ranch), Caesar (Parmesan, Romaine, Caesar Dressing), and All American (American, raw Red onion, Romaine, Tomato, and Mayo) so I was trying to plate them at the same time. The year before was Chicken legs, thighs, and breasts. The night before you put them in Ziploc bags with pepper and garlic salt. Then those are done low and slow. I turn the burners all the way down and close the lid. I wait 10 minutes to check on them and they usually take 30 minutes or so to cook.

I do a lot of my cooking by feel and look though, not so much time based. I've been into cooking since I was a kid. I've probably watched more food network over the past 20 years than another other single channel, I took as many cooking classes as possible in high school, and I was a chef at Macaroni Grill for a summer in college. My dad will regularly try to recreate things I make and then get mad when I don't have amounts of things I used or exact time to cook things. I'd be a terrible baker, but grilling is right up my style.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I’m no Steve Irwin but how do you confuse a Beaver for an Alligator in Canada?

Clearly a dumbass. We have no alligators up here. Oh and a virgin because he doesn't know what a beaver is.

You cook a good burger....except finish cooking it. Juicy but cooked, please.

:)

I usually go 5, 5, then 2 and typically are perfect. Then turn it off, add the cheese, cover for 1 minute and the cheese is ready.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Clearly a dumbass. We have no alligators up here. Oh and a virgin because he doesn't know what a beaver is.

The only thing that would be possible if someone illegally had a small/young alligator & released it into the wild as it got bigger. Those instances happen from time to time even here in the northern states in the US.

Alligators & exotic snakes usually are the animals people illegally have & release into an area they’re not supposed to be.

Reactions: Tripod

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My burgers are pretty juicy...I just salt the ground beef...squirt some mustard in the raw ground meat which an ex from Mexico showed me....and also chop some onions and then make the patties.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
SBNation has 2 great documentaries on yt right now.
The one is on the history of the Seattle Mariners which is honestly rivetting. its up to 5 of 6 parts.

The second is 2 years old (i just discovered it though) on the history of mma in 5 parts.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I watched parts of an early UFC fight where it looked like they were fighting in some western bar venue. :laugh:

I’m very much a casual when it comes UFC/MMA but damn that shit was vastly different in the terms of legal violence.

I vaguely remember it back then from an outside but that’s only because of Ken Shamrock being in the WWF too.

Reactions: Defect

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Caren White has to be a parody.

Is this her?!?!

From the article:
234492291e14f236a9e51e70692d1a78.png

Caren White

2c46f6a484d2b7bd6fd2f92a124895b3.png

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91