All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XI: Will We Go Through A Thread This Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The USA now officially has more than DOUBLE the COVID19 deaths of the 2nd place country.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,830,082 Cases and 197,246 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Now thats some good ole' fashioned American exceptionalism.

If ya ain't first, yer last.

The crazy thing is it could have been a lot worse if not for health care workers/facilities here some even doing so on the shoe string. If we were operating at a fatality rate like Italy or Spain for example that total number would be a lot higher. I’m not sure if it changed as I haven’t looked at it in days but we’re even under the average fatality percentage for the whole world too.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
That's not great for hopes that summer would knock this thing down for a while
The Brazilian people live under much different circumstances than the average American so I think it's too early to say. It also doesn't help that their president is a skeptic of science and their institutions aren't nearly as strong as ours to counteract him.

Reactions: wankstifier

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Good Frontline special on COVID.....been checking these out lately. In the Age of Ai was really good along with the one about Amazon...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Meh....nothing "special" about this flooooo

But seriously, yes posted an article in the previous thread about all the blood clotting problems COVID seems to be causing. Scary stuff...

I am honestly trying to remain positive but I had a bad feeling something very disruptive to human society was going to happen soon....didn't think a pandemic but something where our lives would never be the same. We are after all living in the midst of the 6th mass extinction event....

Earth's sixth mass extinction event under way, scientists warn

“The time to act is very short,” he said. “It will, sadly, take a long time to humanely begin the population shrinkage required if civilisation is to long survive, but much could be done on the consumption front and with ‘band aids’ – wildlife reserves, diversity protection laws – in the meantime.” Ceballos said an international institution was needed to fund global wildlife conservation.

Jesus.

Super interesting read. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Carter Hart

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
@FlyerNutter Essentially we are only routinely using the full 9 of PPE for contact and airborne covid pts...which means I guess they're vented or on BIPAP/HFNC or getting nebs? "For care with risk for aerosolization/performing aerosolized procedures". You'd have more of a clue there than me idk

The partial 8 yards (reusable gown, reusable surgical mask, eye protection, gloves.....NO n95) for anyone else including covid + without aerosolization risk

Private rooms required, negative pressure if available for any covid +

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Brazilian people live under much different circumstances than the average American so I think it's too early to say. It also doesn't help that their president is a skeptic of science and their institutions aren't nearly as strong as ours to counteract him.

Speaking of Brazil, I watched Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad) last night.

Man, that was an intense experience! Fascinating film from beginning to end, I forgot they were actors.

Highly recommend. Love the lead actor, he played Escobar in Narcos.

Can’t wait to watch the sequel, which is apparently better than the first.

Reactions: Asnito

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
The USA now officially has more than DOUBLE the COVID19 deaths of the 2nd place country.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,830,082 Cases and 197,246 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Now thats some good ole' fashioned American exceptionalism.

If ya ain't first, yer last.

Duh-Winning-55132393261.png

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Just fyi our internationally renowned flagship for the health system removed hydroxychloroquine from the COVID-19 treatment algorithm. We're pushing for its removal here too, talking to infectious diseases tomorrow

Before someone responds to this (which I won't be able to see anyway), the reasoning is the overwhelming evidence that it doesn't work. Because that's what medicine is based on. Evidence.
pDDbaeE.jpg

Here is compilation of the most notable litrichaaa that I know of. Sorry about the links, you'll have to type them out of you're really interested.

This whole thing is stemming from one dumpster fire of a study from France a few months ago. Reminds me of the anti vax movement almost.

Cancer does grow from just one cell ya know

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
@Cody Webster @Starat327

It’s the cumulative average per 100K over 14 days, not daily average per 100K over 14 days. Meaning, Philly has a ways to go yet, though we’re down to 401 per 100K as of Friday. We have to get down to 55 new cases a day.

Here’s how low Philly’s case count has to be for the state to consider reopening Southeastern Pa.

Even if we get to that in June or July....we get maybe a couple months of some normalcy and then flu season comes around and we are back to quarantines. 2020 is gonna be a shitty year. ...for me personally for various reasons it has been crappy for the most part since 2018. Thank you God...

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Guess we will see if the Swedish experiment will work for them in the long run....either way...don't think you could apply that strategy of voluntary social responsibility here. We got way too many irresponsible crackpots

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The crazy thing is it could have been a lot worse if not for health care workers/facilities here some even doing so on the shoe string. If we were operating at a fatality rate like Italy or Spain for example that total number would be a lot higher. I’m not sure if it changed as I haven’t looked at it in days but we’re even under the average fatality percentage for the whole world too.

Yeah our health care workers are f***ing amazing. It's that simple. The amount of infected would have been way lower had the current administration acted much sooner, but thankfully our healthcare workers have been able to save tens of thousands of lives.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Cody Webster @Starat327

It’s the cumulative average per 100K over 14 days, not daily average per 100K over 14 days. Meaning, Philly has a ways to go yet, though we’re down to 401 per 100K as of Friday. We have to get down to 55 new cases a day.

Here’s how low Philly’s case count has to be for the state to consider reopening Southeastern Pa.

Does anyone know how our daily cases per 100K looked say 2 weeks ago? Trying to get an idea of how long it would take for SE PA to get the numbers down to where they need to be.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Cody Webster @Starat327

“If a region doesn’t have more than 50 cases per 100,000 people over 14 days, but the hospitals there are at or nearing capacity, we wouldn’t be able to reopen that region,” he said. “Doing so would put our entire health system at risk.”

Also, this is what enrages me about these f***tard protestors. They are having the opposite effect. They are spreading the virus which means they are prolonging restrictions. Everyone needs to buy in.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah our health care workers are f***ing amazing. It's that simple. The amount of infected would have been way lower had the current administration acted much sooner, but thankfully our healthcare workers have been able to save tens of thousands of lives.
You talkin about Pmurt?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Does anyone know how our daily cases per 100K looked say 2 weeks ago? Trying to get an idea of how long it would take for SE PA to get the numbers down to where they need to be.

Probably lower actually, because that would capture days with pre-peak levels. We dropped by over 100 just from Wed to Fri, but data is delayed so that may well rise again once all of the results come in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Probably lower actually, because that would capture days with pre-peak levels. We dropped by over 100 just from Wed to Fri, but data is delayed so that may well rise again once all of the results come in.

Hopefully we see a big drop over the next week, but i'm not optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad