Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
PIT won the Cup in 2009 and 2016 by firing their coach midway through the season......

Yes. If you ask me, the Jets have the talent to do so. Absolutely. Ultimately you got to ask why the Jets look lethargic under Maurice. Again I watched them last night in parts, first time in awhile, and to me, on a very small sampling, it looks like a team that has tuned out their coach. The easiest way to get them fired up going into the playoffs is a coaching change. All coaches good or bad ones have a limited shelf life. Plus you have some players underachieving at the moment. A coach has to take some responsibility for this.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
The weirdest thing for me is, when Maurice was first hired, pretty much his first order of business was to bench James Wright and he never saw the ice ever again. I had heard the criticisms of Maurice from other fanbases but after benching a useless plug who had some seniority, I was pleasantly surprised and cautiously optimistic. Since then, he’s basically made every roster move counter to that first one. There is absolutely a ton of talent on this roster, but there’s also as much if not more dead weight than any other top team. Main difference is, other team’s bottom of the barrel players are in an out of the lineup depending on injury or random shakeups. I’d still be mad if Niku were a regular and Morrow or Chiarot were inserted for isolated games as a “shakeup” but at least it would be infinitely better than this.

We live in 2019. There are a ton of stats and metrics out there at a team’s disposal. I know they care about advanced stats more than ever before but eye test and loyalty still play far too large a role in decision making around the league. And for a team like the Jets, whether it’s true or not, it certainly feels like good results are attributed to what the team is genuinely capable of and bad results are attributed to anomalies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm strongly in favor of any coach that can teach the players to shoot almost 15%. Colliton >>>> Quenneville, confirmed.
Hang on. I'm having second thoughts about this...

upload_2019-2-21_12-24-44.png

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hang on. I'm having second thoughts about this...

View attachment 189667

Yeah, I made the cheeky comment above, but the Hawks resurgence has been a result of an unsustainable amount of high shooting percentage. They may have scored 8 against Ottawa, but they also gave up 7. They're still a defensive nightmare.

That, and Patrick Kane has MVP locked up if the Hawks sneak into the wild card.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I've been following the PP and PK very closely lately with focus being on zone entries. When it comes to the PP the Jets are terrible at gaining zone entry and why in the hell do they dump and chase on the powerplay??? Do any other teams do that??? No they enter the zone with speed or using the drop pass and set up quickly. This is a terrible coaching/systems issue. Conversly the PK gives up zone entry on the PK seemingly every opportunity . Other teams have clearly figured out our special teams and our coaching staff have failed to adapt and it's costing us big time. Why isn't Ehlers (when healthy) on PP 1 as he's one of the best at zone entries?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Other than Quenneville what name coaches are available?

Names and / or cup winners available:

Vigneault, Carlye, Sutter?, Therrien, MacLean, Tippet, Roy?, Robinson?, Hartley, Noel, Cherry, Crisp?, Demeres?, Perron?, Sinden?, MacNeil?, Keenan, potentially Crawford since the Sens are toast anyway.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Other than Quenneville what name coaches are available?

I'm still on the Sheldon Keefe train. Young offensive minded coach who has done a terrific job developing the Leafs young talent. Runs a good offensive system and his teams always perform really well offensively. He's also had a Significant amount of success at each level.

He's be a great fit for our roster. Having said that Maurice isn't goig anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Names and / or cup winners available:

Vigneault, Carlye, Sutter?, Therrien, MacLean, Tippet, Roy?, Robinson?, Noel, Cherry, Crisp?, Demeres?, Perron?, potentially Crawford since the Sens are toast anyway.
lot of names to add as a joke but I will say former winnipeger kruger.

Jyri

Nov 24, 2017
At least someone does something. Duchene traded to Columbus.
We can resume banging our heads to the wall or rake example from Columbus and react.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Keeping laine with little time after time seems almost a psychotic type of behavior by PoMo, doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity, is it not? the whole league knows that little and laine have no chemistry yet there he goes making the same adjustment or lack of. the jets and PoMo in 5 years time will be known as the pretenders because of PoMo's decisions regarding laine and the rest of the team, taking rosolvic of the PP2 unit when he starting to score goals and then moving or switching him with laine on the PP1 and the then result is the PP1-2 goes in the tank. undr his regime as head coach, only successful season and taking into account the recent play, it doesn't look like a long playoff run is in the making.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
At least someone does something. Duchene traded to Columbus.
We can resume banging our heads to the wall or rake example from Columbus and react.

Columbus is taking a massive risk because they could lose Duchene along with Panarin and Bobrovsky. That team may be bottom 10 or worse next year and they gave up futures this year for something they may amount to zilch.

Jyri

Nov 24, 2017
Columbus is taking a massive risk because they could lose Duchene along with Panarin and Bobrovsky. That team may be bottom 10 or worse next year and they gave up futures this year for something they may amount to zilch.

Totally agree with you. Still I think that in order to succeed one must be able to take risks. If one plays safe all the time he will not win.

Reactions: thegr8one66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad