Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Totally agree with you. Still I think that in order to succeed one must be able to take risks. If one plays safe all the time he will not win.

Grass ain’t always greener either. Just have to balance it and know when to hold’em and know when to fold’em.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
At least someone does something. Duchene traded to Columbus.
We can resume banging our heads to the wall or rake example from Columbus and react.
Making a move based on what another team decided to do would be the worst reason to something .

Talk about knee jerk.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm sure Chevy will approach the coaching issue in his usual deliberate manner.

tenor.gif

:DD
Hard to do anything when the owner calls the shots on Maurice

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

Micah made a cool viz to show where Jets 5v5 offense has come from lately. They hit a real cold stretch from Dec/Jan in that they never went to the net. Might be rounding into form, lately?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Micah made a cool viz to show where Jets 5v5 offense has come from lately. They hit a real cold stretch from Dec/Jan in that they never went to the net. Might be rounding into form, lately?

Someone asked Micah for the 5v5 defense as well: maybe a reason as to why December and early January was so good for the Jets - they were great in front of Hellebuyck. However, looks like February has been awful in terms of defense.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The three 5v5 goals the Jets scored last night were each from about 3-4 feet from the net. We haven't seen that for quite some time. They were definitely making a concerted effort to drive lanes to the net last night and establish a second wave after the puck was put on net. Vegas plays almost exclusively that way, I thought the Jets higher skill level was clearly evident last night, it was the difference.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Looked like a couple questionable moves contributed to the downfall tonight.
1st- was killing penalty at the end- it’s 1st up Hayes and Copp, 2nd up Lowry and Tanev and then he went Wheeler and Scheifele. Not sure why. Should have likely gone back to Copp and Hayes. Don’t think the D changed from the start of the PK to the goal. Likely why after the goal he went to Kuli and Myers.
2nd - why did he just not shut that game down and take the point or force an offensive zone face off. Should have ran TLC, they were ready as 55 and 26 were on for the goal. No clue why Conner and Rosie would be on the ice at that point in the game.

I was a big Maurice detractor in the past and slowly am starting to think again that he is a contributor to the teams downfall along with the players of course.

I was excited to see Hayes PK as I’m not sure that he got the passive let them shoot memo yet.

Not sure if chevy would have the Carina’s to get rid of him especially now but if this team burns out after Chevy traded away a 1st and Lemmy. Maurice is going to be on a short lease next season.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm far from advocating replacing the coach, but I'm definitely getting fed up with some of his asinine, stubborn decisions. Going back to Myers after that ridiculous penalty was absurd, as was having 26-55 be on nearing the end of the PK.

Not sure what else he needs to see to reduce Scheifele and Wheeler's TOI. Maurice has added 2 years to Wheeler with how he's used him this season.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The leaders on this team need to lead. That doesn't mean Wheeler looking like a man possessed but accomplishing nothing. Play proper team defence and get the team identity back.

If the leaders aren't doing their job, then it's up to the coach to make examples of them.

On a side note, this team looks like it isn't even enjoying playing anymore. Scheifele after his goal last night, looked like his dog just died. Where's the passion and the excitement and the energy?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like Kompon, and you can see some results in his departments. I think we can be fairly certain PM isn't going anywhere....unfortunately, but at least replace Huddy with someone who can run a respectable defense.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Even though it will never happen, I would love to see the Jets try to salvage the year by firing Maurice, and replacing him with Joel Quenneville.

Takes two to tango. I think Q is happy to just collect his paycheck from the Hawks for now. He doesn't need to step into a high pressure, no win situation. I'm sure he will get offers in the off-season and pursue the course that's best for him and his family.

But as you say, it just wouldn't happen anyway.

Reactions: GNP

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Accountability is the name of the game. In any job, employees must be held accountable for their actions, good or bad. If they continue to get away with things that they themselves know they should be spoken to about, or cautioned on then they become complacent.

Mark and Blake are the two favorite employees of Paul, and if you worked for Paul how would you feel if you out preformed Mark and Blake yet never got any sort of recognition?

In this case, you should expect that players who are ignoring the details of their game and becoming complacent are demoted in the line up.

Ehlers should be on PP1, he's done everything asked of him and is our best all around forward. Wheeler used to be that guy, but the complacency has sit in on a dangerous level now.

At 5v5 Laine should have been your leading ice time forward after his stellar November. That didn't happen.

Paul is dropping the ball with his team, he's gonna get fired probably next season when we get knocked out in the first round, and then tank at the start of next season.

Hold the players accountable.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting in the most recent player poll of almost 200 players in the league Maurice was voted 3rd best coach the players would like to play for with 6% of the vote. Babcock voted 3rd worst coach to play for with 15% of the vote. Also interesting Winnipeg voted worst road city to play in but also voted 4th best fanbase. Also Laine voted as 3rd most overrated player in the league.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Interesting in the most recent player poll of almost 200 players in the league Maurice was voted 3rd best coach the players would like to play for with 6% of the vote. Babcock voted 3rd worst coach to play for with 15% of the vote. Also interesting Winnipeg voted worst road city to play in but also voted 4th best fanbase. Also Laine voted as 3rd most overrated player in the league.
2nd most overrated in the poll.

Maurice's rank certainly lends credence to the "player's coach" label.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
2nd most overrated in the poll.

Maurice's rank lends certainly credence to the "player's coach" label.

Maurice comes off as a very pleasant but his voice and general demeanor also oozes authority. Just by looking at his interviews he does come off like a guy who you'd like to listen to and take orders from. I can fully get why players would like him.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I'm OK with this. If the visiting teams hate coming here and it in anyway messes with their heads before a game, I'm all for it.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Unfortunately, popularity with the players does not make a coach great. It may help, but through NHL history, some of the most voalitile coaches have won championships. Keenan and Tortorella are two examples of this.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
One thing that is bugging me is when we pulled the goalie the other night, Connor is gifted a spot again with Ehlers no where near the ice. Don’t get why Ehlers is not given ice in big situations.

Reactions: surixon and Hulide

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

I love what he's done with those vids. Nice work.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

need one with defense now lol

edit - nvm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad