Prospect Info: All-Purpose Caps 2016 NHL Draft Thread

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm kind out of the loop on picks this year apart from the top 10. If we can get a Bjugstad player, I'm all for it. I would love to have him on the Caps or a similar type. A huge center is awesome, especially for someone like me who was a Joel Otto fan growing up.

Go Caps!

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
So Patrik Laine is my favorite player in this draft.

#1 talk seems to be gaining steam and I'm jumping on that train. Man he is fun to watch.

Keyvman90

May 12, 2016
I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to think we should trade down in this draft. If we end up making a selection at 26, then I'm all for it. But looking at what players may very well be available (Pu, Benson, Steel, Anderson, Dineen, Johansen, Clague, Mette, etc.), I would trade 26th to MTL for 39 and 45. I know trading back 13 spots to pick up an extra mid second may seem to be quite the drop, but I really do feel as though we could end up with two gems as opposed to just one. Our scouting staff has done a great job in the past, getting Bowey at 53 a few years ago. We don't need to acquire a prospect to play in Washington right away. Trade down, pick up 2 prospects that can spend a few years developing in junior/college, then come up and play in Hershey. Anyone else open to doing that? other teams with multiple seconds that intrigue me are:

TOR: 31 and 57 (would be 56, but ARZ will get an extra second because Bleackley will probably not sign, and because a first rounder does not sign with team originally drafted/traded to, team is awarded an additional second round pick)

CGY: 35, 54 or 56.

Thoughts?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It makes all the sense in the world if their BPA at 26 isn't perceived to be much different than what's likely still available a bit further back--and if they also like the depth available in the second round--but that seems unlikely to be the case. It's been nine years since they've traded back and in the past two seasons in particular they've been far more aggressive in trading up to get their player. So it'd take a pretty special group of circumstances for trading down to happen.

There's definitely some wisdom in doing so, especially in a year where they don't pick again until the end of the fourth round. But I figure there's probably going to be a clear-cut BPA for them at 26 and they'll stay put (or that they're more likely to move up if possible depending on whether someone like Rubtsov slides and they have the assets for it).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
While I certainly give this scouting staff a great deal of leeway, particularly with late 1st rounders, after the early portions of the 1st round, quantity often trumps quality when it comes to draft odds. I certainly wouldn't mind trading back for more picks, particularly if they don't have to move back very far.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sportsnet final rankings. Keller one spot ahead of Stanley is insanity. Hopefully the later is off the board by the time the Caps are up. Rubtsov at 23.

Clague bears watching at the Memorial Cup, which starts tonight. Brandon, also featuring Caps prospect McGauley, plays tomorrow night vs. Rouyn-Noranda.

Brock's OHL top 50. Always a great read with tons of depth.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Greetings HF Caps,

I've been representing Washington and San Jose in HFOil's Mock Draft, just wanted to let you guys know what I've done with your picks...

30: C/W Alex DeBrincat
120: D Stepan Falkovsky
145: D Vojtech Budik
150: RW Nicholas Caamano
180: G Daniel Marmenlind

7th round ongoing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Can't say I'd like that draft much. They'd have to be pretty, pretty sold on DeBrincat to make that perhaps the big haul from this draft. Going with two defensemen with their next two picks after taking three defensemen and a goaltender with their four picks last year would be a bit irksome.

Just finished off Velociraptor's mock draft and selected the following:

30. RW Pascal Laberge, Victoriaville/QMJHL (37th on Pronman's list for some further info)
120.RW Matthew Phillips, Victoria/WHL (71st on Pronman's list. If I could do it over again I'd probably take either Rasanen or Gambrell over Phillips but I was hoping they'd fall to 143.)
143.RW William Lockwood, US NTDP (75th on Pronman's list)
150.LW Nolan Stevens, Northeastern/NCAA (The first of two double re-entry picks. Nolan, the son of LA asst. John Stevens, is a well-rounded skilled winger with size.)
180.C Andrei Svetlakov, CSKA/KHL (Honorable mention on Pronman's top 100. Svetlakov is signed until '18-19 reportedly so absent a buyout who knows what sort of draft interest there will be. Nonetheless, a decent 3C type prospect.)
210.G Wouter Peeters, Salzburg/Aus-Jr. (Big goalie headed to Jokerit next season.)

A forward-heavy counter to last season in some ways, though I wasn't necessarily leaning that way.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can't say I'd like that draft much. They'd have to be pretty, pretty sold on DeBrincat to make that perhaps the big haul from this draft. Going with two defensemen with their next two picks after taking three defensemen and a goaltender with their four picks last year would be a bit irksome.

Just finished off Velociraptor's mock draft and selected the following:

30. RW Pascal Laberge, Victoriaville/QMJHL (37th on Pronman's list for some further info)
120.RW Matthew Phillips, Victoria/WHL (71st on Pronman's list. If I could do it over again I'd probably take either Rasanen or Gambrell over Phillips but I was hoping they'd fall to 143.)
143.RW William Lockwood, US NTDP (75th on Pronman's list)
150.LW Nolan Stevens, Northeastern/NCAA (The first of two double re-entry picks. Nolan, the son of LA asst. John Stevens, is a well-rounded skilled winger with size.)
180.C Andrei Svetlakov, CSKA/KHL (Honorable mention on Pronman's top 100. Svetlakov is signed until '18-19 reportedly so absent a buyout who knows what sort of draft interest there will be. Nonetheless, a decent 3C type prospect.)
210.G Wouter Peeters, Salzburg/Aus-Jr. (Big goalie headed to Jokerit next season.)

A forward-heavy counter to last season in some ways, though I wasn't necessarily leaning that way.

I considered Laberge but he's a stringbean and didn't put up anywhere near DeBrincat's production.

I like Falkovsky a lot, so I jumped on him when he was still there at 120.

I considered Phillips, but he is so, SO small. A worthwhile pick though.

Budik was an HM on Pronman's list, and should see a lot more responsibility next season.

I liked Caamano better than Lockwood and Marmenlind is the 2nd ranked Euro goalie available. Getting him at the end of the 6th was a great addition.

I'm planning on taking a forward in the 7th, but all draft long I leaned harder toward BPA as opposed to positional need.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah but it's junior production and it's more about projection. Laberge may be thin but he's not short and is a safer bet to be second-line winger IMO. I like some of DeBrincat's game but it's iffy enough to where I'd have a hard time rationalizing it as their only top 100 pick. In a trade back it's more appealing.

BPA makes sense but organizationally they're getting a glut among fairly limited upside defensemen. Aside from Bowey everyone else is probably a not top four material and even he's going to take a while given Trotz's demands. Whereas after apparently not signing DiPauli and Sanford at least having the UFA option next year as well their depth at forward is relatively much weaker. Everything up front is mostly at Hershey already. Not to suggest reaching but in the fourth round or thereafter I'd nonetheless be partial to forwards unless it's a raw boom/bust type project.

Keyvman90

May 12, 2016
Watching the London and Brandon game in the memorial cup. Pu has been really good early in the first. Goal and an assist for the guy. Such a great skater, decent hands, great playmaker. I think he's definitely worthy of first round status. He's totally worth taking a risk on with the 26th pick.

Also a huge fan of Jones, but I'd be shocked if he was available at 26.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Watching the London and Brandon game in the memorial cup. Pu has been really good early in the first. Goal and an assist for the guy. Such a great skater, decent hands, great playmaker. I think he's definitely worthy of first round status. He's totally worth taking a risk on with the 26th pick.
He took his glove off to shake a linemate's hand (Jones?) after his goal. :laugh:

In the first round they don't tend to go that far off the board when it comes to accrued name recognition. Typically they take skilled guys that have been on the radar for quite some time whereas Pu doesn't really have that (nor is he European with much intl comp exp). He does merit first round consideration if his spring performance is the new norm and that he'll continue to improve as he fills out. Aside from the upside angle he doesn't fit much of their typical profile, though, but he's definitely an interesting prospect.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
With the Memorial Cup over here's my final first round assessment:

1Matthews|Tkachuk|Chychrun|20Kunin
Laine|Dubois|Bean|Tufte
Puljujarvi|Brown|McAvoy|Asplund
|Juolevi|Bellows|Laberge
|Keller|Jost|Dahlen
|Nylander|Jones|Gauthier
|10McLeod|Fabbro|Johansen
|Sergachev||Howden
|Rubtsov||Dineen

Rubtsov being the big wild card. If there's reason to move up it's him, although Bellows could also wind up being strong value. At 26 the Caps should be in position to choose between at least a few fourth-tier options.

There are a lot of ways it could break but Asplund is my odds on favorite for the pick if he's available. He's a quick, mature two-way center that lines up fairly well to their typical profile. I could see Asplund being a similar type of player to Johansson ultimately, albeit with better chances of sticking at center and more grit provided he bulks up. Overall the two Swedes, Laberge and the two puck-moving LD seem like the most worthwhile options unless someone falls.

I wonder if PIT's predominantly mobile, finesse d-men push up some of the LD as teams seek to emulate them and also stockpile blueliners as expansion draft insurance. The Caps are fairly well protected organizationally with Bowey, Siegenthaler and maybe Djoos. Nonetheless one can argue a quality possession LD remains their biggest need unless Orlov develops into a much more trusted 5-on-5 minute eater. Johansen & Dineen have that kind of toolbox upside IMO provided continued development in the next few years.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I had tickets for the Memorial Cup and the guy who I really liked was Max Jones. The kid has a little bit of everything and he's got a bit of a mean streak too. Loved getting a chance to see him.

Cliff Pu also impressed me with his top speed and finishing ability but that's pretty strictly his entire arsenal it looked like to me.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

That's interesting.

Most of the people might remember that exact same thing reported year ago, but i can't. :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@THNRyanKennedy: German Rubtsov says he'll play Major junior next year; Russian contract being dealt with now. He'll be a high Import Draft pick for sure

...and there probably goes any possibility of him falling. Gurianov didn't and certainly Rubtsov shouldn't either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad