Prospect Info: All-Purpose Caps 2016 NHL Draft Thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
GMBM: There's some depth in the first round, but a drop off once you get to the middle of the second round. Mixed evaluations when you get to 20/21.
The 20-21 part seems like a very widespread belief. McKenzie, Cosentino and others have mentioned it. I consider it a top 21 with the wildcard in Rubtsov. The one guy that may have the best chance to fall is probably Tufte since he's so raw. From that 22 there's another four needed to get to 26. For me that's Laberge, Cholowski, Johansen and Asplund. Worst-case one of those players should be on the board. McKenzie's rankings has the following four as Stanley, Howden, Cholowski & Hajek. So a bit of a lumbering defensive-defenseman project, Cholowski and then a couple of WHLers.

I'd be remiss not to mention the next batch of Europeans from McKenzie's rankings: Borgstrom (35), Niemelainen (38), Grundstrom (40), Kuokkanen (43), Hronek (49), Abramov (51). Three Finns in a big year for them.

It seems like a good year to add an offensively-skilled Canadian but that hasn't happened since Mike Green a dozen years ago after what was already a thin history of doing so up to then. Not to say I'd prefer Howden over Asplund but chances are at least one of Laberge, Cholowski or Johansen will be there.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As usual, I am lost figuring out who we may take. I am still recovering from taking a G last year.

I will take the swede, Asplund.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Johansen sounds OK. But what we would do with him in our window?!

Anyway, as it seems to be Asplund is 2 years away too, doesn't matter who they pick. BPA.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Johansen sounds OK. But what we would do with him in our window?!
The window, as narrowly defined as the upcoming season only, won't be filled by anyone they pick aside from maybe Gauthier in a depth role. That's likely not the best thing for both parties anyway.

The case with Johansen or Cholowski would be that if they fully pan out it would give them a dynamic at LD they've never really had in the Ovechkin Era. At his best Tom Poti brought offense at top 4 LD at times, albeit not at the level he had in the past. Unless Orlov works there's not much in the system otherwise. I like Djoos but top 4? It would likely take longer with a D but it arguably could result in the most impact of any option from an overall possession standpoint.

With a big year Laberge could be ready in a year. He'd have to clean up his defensive game for Trotz but if he does that and fills out well he's got the tools. Katchouk or maybe Howden could be advanced enough to play a bottom six role in a year. So there should be some fast-trackers available but it's more a matter, aside from Laberge, of whether the upside is substantial enough.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Unless they plan on trading up for Matthews/Laine, this draft is irrelevant to the current window.

Which is kind of why I hope their first round pick is in play for a trade today/tonight. I'm all for organizational development and competing year in and year out, but if their first rounder is what it takes to get a deal done today for a clear upgrade to the roster to help them win a Cup this season then I hope MacLellan doesn't hesitate.

If there is simply no trade to be made then I'm fine keeping the pick, but it's not like #26 overall is ever a guarantee anyways.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I see a few last names I recognize from the Mesozoic era. I can't shake the notion we roll with a blood line pick, should someone drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->